LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A few issues with my 06 LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 11:03 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I wipe my blade/windshield interface pretty much every time before turning on the wipers for the first time and there is NO PROBLEM doing it on the LS with them parked. The blades will lift an inch or so off the glass in the down position and you can slide a microfiber cloth under there no problem.
This reminds me of the post describing drying the vehicle with a leaf blower..lol!

Yea--don't lift past 7/8th's inch HUUUGE clearance...or else you'll put a nice DING in the edge of your hood, and we all know how thick-n-hearty the paint is..lol!

Sorry--but I'm not going to "clean my wiperblade pretty much every time before turning them on." I'd rather pivot up the wiper arm...wait. I can't.

Which we can lead into the next issue with the wipers...what does everyone do on COLD or FREEZING or SNOWY days with their wipers? Most people with intelligently designed systems LIFT THEM UP FROM THE WINDSHIELD!

I already hear you folks posting, "It doesn't snow or freeze in my garage?"...or..."I always carry a cashmere or silk sheet, and drape it nicely over the windshield during freezing/snowy weather"... lolol!!!!!!!!!!

C'MONNNN!!!! Cut me a break!!!
Old 12-01-09, 11:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
This reminds me of the post describing drying the vehicle with a leaf blower..lol!
You mean where people who like to think they are being as meticulous as possible but in fact are just mentally whacking off in their belief that they are blowing all the water out of the joints? Just like this topic, that one is easy enough to prove -- use the leaf blower, then put the vacuum to the joint and watch the residual water fly out. I've done it, just like I've changed/cleaned wiper blades for years with no problems.

Yea--don't lift past 7/8th's inch HUUUGE clearance...or else you'll put a nice DING in the edge of your hood, and we all know how thick-n-hearty the paint is..lol!
5 years of LS ownership, countless cleanings, a few insert changes, and no dings here. Wait.... are you trying to do it with your feet, or your hands???

Sorry--but I'm not going to "clean my wiperblade pretty much every time before turning them on." I'd rather pivot up the wiper arm...wait. I can't.
I thought that was your issue -- that you were wanting to wipe the debris from the wiper/glass interface to avoid scratching your glass? Otherwise, why would you pivot the blade up without actually cleaning it? Are you just banging it on the glass and imbedding the sand into the wiping element? Not actually cleaning it?

Which we can lead into the next issue with the wipers...what does everyone do on COLD or FREEZING or SNOWY days with their wipers? Most people with intelligently designed systems LIFT THEM UP FROM THE WINDSHIELD!
Who the h3ll would live in an area with cold/freezing/snowy weather anyway?
Old 12-01-09, 12:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts

two things to say about wiper blade design on LS - 1. The LS wipers are first set (of many cars that I have owned previously) that is a totally silent and extremely effective wiper system - I absolutely love it. 2. The LS is also the first car I have owned that had wiper arms that did not pivot up and clear for easy windshield cleaning, blade cleaning, and replacement of blades - that is an annoyance- not huge, but certainly a design flaw.

Having said that I would certainly choose having the totally silent and excellent wiper system on the LS over the easy to replace and clean wipers on most all other cars that don't wipe all that well and make noise. I hate wiper noise!

Too bad we can't have both pivoting wiper arms and a great silent wiper system.
Old 12-01-09, 03:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

What do you people not understand about my suggestion that you merely remove the wiper assmbly from the are while it is in the down position? If you look at the top of that assembly you will see a small lever that you can lift upward and you can then remove the wiper assembly (the part that the rubber insert fits into). It is then very easy to replace the rubber insert and then reinstall the wiper assembly onto the arm.

This is yet another very clever design by the Lexus engineers. Just understand the design and quit your complaining because you don't understand it. Engineers really don't like to design things so they are "idiot proof" as it is an insult to thinking customers.

This this car above the ability of some of it's owners? Just my opinion.

Last edited by jayclapp; 12-01-09 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-09, 03:35 PM
Jabberwock

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts

Removable blade assembly is not a Lexus design. The lever to remove the blade assembly is a standard design shared by about 400 million other cars manufactured since approx mid 80s to the present
Old 12-01-09, 05:57 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

With this being a common design, why is it such a problem with Lexus owners on this site?
Old 12-01-09, 09:04 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by jayclapp
What do you people not understand about my suggestion that you merely remove the wiper assmbly from the are while it is in the down position? If you look at the top of that assembly you will see a small lever that you can lift upward and you can then remove the wiper assembly (the part that the rubber insert fits into). It is then very easy to replace the rubber insert and then reinstall the wiper assembly onto the arm.

This is yet another very clever design by the Lexus engineers. Just understand the design and quit your complaining because you don't understand it. Engineers really don't like to design things so they are "idiot proof" as it is an insult to thinking customers.

This this car above the ability of some of it's owners? Just my opinion.
Not sure what message boards you're reading, but I don't think anyone is questioning the process you described for servicing and maintenance. FYI--the 3 basic parts that make up the "wipers" are the ARM, BLADE, and INSERT.

Again--nobody said they don't understand your (or anyone elses) post on HOW to maintain the wipers.

It's that I DON'T LIKE THEM. How much more clear can I get?

I guess the hazy vision comes with the rose colored glasses some of the owners here wear?

PS...stillllll curious what everyone does when there is snow, sleet, freezing rain, etc, with the wipers................

OH...last but not least, my Acura had a "winter position" and summer position. In the winter position, the blades were raised about 3-4" from the normal resting/summer position. The winter position not only allowed the owner to clean the area between the wiper blade and the windshield cowling free of snow, but also prevent any damage to the wiper motor and stripping the gears/teeth on the moving parts, as the wiper blades would normally try to smash down all the compacted snow and slush.

The only drawback using the winter position was it reduced the fuel economy by .031 mpg because it wasn't as aerodynamic..lol.

I haven't read the LS's manual to see if there's a winter setting. Does anyone know if it has one?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 12-01-09 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 09:05 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Removable blade assembly is not a Lexus design. The lever to remove the blade assembly is a standard design shared by about 400 million other cars manufactured since approx mid 80s to the present
LOL! You beat me to a reply...