LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

window creak fix!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 09:12 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, the noise is from the wide black part on top of the door (the piece that's like 1" wide and smooth). Wipe off any dust that creeps over the outer lip. I used a foam paint brush and liberally swabbed the black piece w/ the Sonus plastic/seal conditioner, let it absorb for a few minutes, then wiped off the excess. Make sure to wipe off any dirt/residues where the door contacts the body. The longest I've gotten out of the Sonus is about 4 months, the minimum was 2 months. At either rate, I figure I'll wash the car within that period, so I apply it then.
Old 09-22-10, 07:52 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i have used dielectric grease for over 30 years on all my seals.apply as thin as possible and you will have no noise and will shut out most wind noise and water on all your vehicles.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 09-22-10 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 08:34 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions! I will give them a try.
Old 09-22-10, 05:01 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i have used dielectric grease for over 30 years on all my seals.apply as thin as possible and you will have no noise and will shut out most wind noise and water on all your vehicles.
Does the dielectric grease dry or remain wet or tacky? My only concern is that this would attract and hold dirt particles. If it completely dries, sounds okay...
Old 09-22-10, 06:38 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

it stays wet,however you apply it very thin and spread it out as far as you can.if you use it you will never have a piece of weather stripping go bad.
Old 09-22-10, 06:43 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Any brand/product in particular you recommend?
Old 10-11-11, 12:35 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
It turned out not to last too long for me. When I had the dealer take a look, they said it was the window channel. They installed some felt pads, that helped, and said the permanent fix is to replace the channel for a few hundred dollars.
Sorry to open this thread again, but Caddy, Where are were the felt pads installed exactly? I used 303 on all my seals and I only got about 3 weeks of quiet out of my car. Not sure why the 303 does not get the job done. Maybe there is a real difference between this and the sonus? Maybe I will to try the sonus, or some chain lube/garage door lube like I have seen other boards mention.
Old 10-11-11, 01:19 PM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Sorry to open this thread again, but Caddy, Where are were the felt pads installed exactly? I used 303 on all my seals and I only got about 3 weeks of quiet out of my car. Not sure why the 303 does not get the job done. Maybe there is a real difference between this and the sonus? Maybe I will to try the sonus, or some chain lube/garage door lube like I have seen other boards mention.

Mine do the same thing. I have cracked the windows with some success. I has some silicone spray I was going to try that. If that doesn't do it, then I will buy some of the Sonus.
Old 10-11-11, 02:17 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The pads were located at the top of the channel and they fell out after a few weeks. (Useless) I ended up buying some of the Shin Etsu (silicone) grease from the Honda dealer and it worked great. I reapplied it once after a couple months. THE KEY IS TO APPLY THE GREASE TO THE WIIIDE FLAT RUBBER SEAL AT THE TOP OF THE DOOR, not just the smaller seals that stick up.
Old 10-11-11, 03:33 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Honda dealers sell a product called Shin-Etsu grease specifically for this purpose. It has worked well for me lasting about 6 months on my wifes Accord and the LS.. I clean the area throughly and use a very small amount on a microfiber cloth. Runs about $12 to $14 but it is a little obscure. My local dealer had to order it, it only takes a few days.
Old 10-11-11, 07:12 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Honda dealers sell a product called Shin-Etsu grease specifically for this purpose. It has worked well for me lasting about 6 months on my wifes Accord and the LS.. I clean the area throughly and use a very small amount on a microfiber cloth. Runs about $12 to $14 but it is a little obscure. My local dealer had to order it, it only takes a few days.
I use this, so does my local Lexus dealer... Honda product and works excellent. Basically a white silicone paste... smear it on and lasts months for me even though I wipe down door jams and seals after every weekly wash. Local Honda dealers have or can order a tube, easy peasy. It will last years...
Old 10-11-11, 08:36 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Default Thanks Guys!

Going to try locate a tube at my local honda parts counter. I can't wait! The 303 just isn't up to the job of stoping the creaking. Hopefully this will be the "big guns"...
Old 10-12-11, 02:54 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

At my local Honda dealer, the parts guy said the only tube they had in stock is a shared tube used by the mechanics. They ordered me a tube and it only took 2-3 days for it to arrive.
Old 10-12-11, 08:49 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Default Got My Shin Etsu Grease....WOO HOO!

Will put it on asap. Funny read on how I just received it can be viewed here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post6746434
Old 10-12-11, 09:48 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html

I am a honda owner and i order stuff from here. Just scroll through the page here and you can find the shin-etsu grease here

Quick Reply: window creak fix!