LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sweep fan motor/smart key reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 09:17 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Sweep fan motor/smart key reliability?

Took a look at a '06 modern luxury this morning equipped w/ ecru leather, power rear sunshade, and the smart key. The salesman pointed out that the front AC vents sweep back & forth to even out the cabin temperature. Has anyone had any reliability issues with the sweeping fan motors? It seems like it's something unnecessary that can break.

Also, how is the reliability of the old smart key? I know the newer, boxy ones are reliable, but this is the first time I've seen the older ones. If the battery in the key is weak, is there any way to start the car?
Old 08-29-09, 02:35 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the A/C thingy, you can also manually turn off if you don't like it. These are all luxury features/items, and if your so concern about everything breaking/not working, it's going to be hard enjoy all these features... Smart Key is solid, I'm sure you'll notice once the battery gets weak in the smart key, and you can replace them at that point and time. Hope you get the 06, get model year!
Old 08-29-09, 04:59 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the interior Ecru or Cashmere? Per the 2006 sales brochure, ecru was only available with the custom luxury or ultra luxury packages. (Can anyone verify that?)

If it is a CL, the car will also have headlamp washers and power door closers. If it is a UL, it will also have the air suspension and all the back seat goodies.

BTW, my 94 Mazda 626 had the sweeping vents and they worked fine for the 3 years and 93K I had the car.
Old 08-29-09, 05:12 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The oscillating vents only sweep when the temp on the side is not reached yet. Once the temp is equalized and met, the vents automatically stop oscillating until the temp drop/rises again. You can also just turn it off if you fear breakage at some point.

As for the smartkey, once the battery is low, you'll get a warning on the dash indicating "battery low" but if you somehow don't replace the battery and it totally dies, you can open the doors with the key that is on the FOB. Once in, you insert the key into the ignition and turn normal with key in. I'm pretty sure this is the procedure for dead key.
Old 08-29-09, 09:15 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The swinging vanes in my 04 UL are actually quite complex. They are computer controlled and react due to the difference in cabin temperature vs. desired temperature, whether a front passenger is in the seat, and whether the dual temperature control is selected. I would assume that all LS430 models that have a Nav system would have the same features. The following description describes how my UL functions.

The vanes directly aimed at the driver and front passenger will swing wider as the room temperature nears the desired temperature. The swinging angle will also change from narrow to wide depending on the room temperature.

When you select the "Swing" button with no passenger on the front seat and the "Dual" button is on, the vanes directly aimed at the driver and rear passenger will swing wider as the room temperature nears the desired temperature. The swinging angle will also change from narrow to wide depending on the room temperature.

When you select the "Swing" button with no passenger on the front seat and the "Dual" button is off, the vanes directly aimed at the driver will swing wider as the room temperature nears the desired temperature. The swinging angle will also change from narrow to wide depending on the room temperature.

Consequently, I just can't see why anyone would want to deprive themselves of this by turning them off. If the front passenger thinks it is too much air, just adjust that vent opening. I don't really worry about my car's reliability and want to enjoy every feature designed into it.
Old 08-29-09, 08:16 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the swing-vane is plenty reliable, since out here in AZ, we use A/C most of the year. Did most of the modern luxury 06's come w/ the smart key?
Old 08-29-09, 08:39 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has been at the dealership the past week because the Smart Key failed. I could turn the ignition far enought to stop the engine, but could not turn it far enough to turn the accessories off, then I could not restart the car. The engine would spin but would not start.
I wanted to make sure the tow truck driver saw for himself the issue so no one in the service department would try and give me lesson on how to start the car and how I must have done something wrong. This was all in case the car healed itself when it got to the shop. Sure enough they have not been able to duplicate the problem. It's a $1,200 part so the extended warranty will not cover it unless it happens again. I can see their point, but if it happens again I expect it to be replaced no matter if they can duplicate the problem or not.
Old 02-13-11, 06:07 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tonight my 2005 LS-430 would spin like a top, but would not fire off. Do you think it has something to do with the Security System ? At the time, I had the key "ON" as I was talking to a friend on the Bluetooth and did not want to lose him. My wife just ran into the store for a few minutes and when she came out, I turned the key to "START" but it would not fire off. It spun high RPM and after about 3-4 attempts, it started. Any ideas please ?
Old 02-13-11, 08:15 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Have had my 06 for 18 months - no prob with vent vanes and no problem with the smart key. We love the smartkey option - would hate to have a car without it. Only prob with the 06 in 18 months was the driver's side door mirror went bad - $700 to replace (free under CPO warranty).

Like Caddy already posted - it might have flooded because the fuel pump pressurizes the system as soon as the key goes to the on position. But I am speculating with injectors, inadvertently flooding the engine due to pressure in fuel system is not a likely possibility.