LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

best air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 08:46 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best air filter?

i've had my ls for 4 months and 4k miles (now with 51k mi) and realized i have yet to change my air filter...

what's the best one to use?

should i go oem or go with some other one like k&m?

also, is the air filter easy to get to?

thanks.
Old 08-24-09, 10:04 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I assume that you meant K&N? That type of filter will NOT filter small particles out as thoroughly as a good paper element filter such as the OEM type. Just keep that in mind in case it matters to you. I don't think K&N really denies that they don't filter as well as paper elements, but they claim that the small sand, particles, etc, that get through won't cause damage to the engine. I don't know if that latter part is true or not, but I'd feel better knowing that stuff isn't getting through.... In a car like the LS, I seriously doubt that there would be any meaningful power gain by going to a cotton gauze type filter like a K&N. I run a very large K&N on my Supra because it's sucking in a lot of air at max output, but I don't like finding the *tiny* particles on the inside of the filter when I service it after a few thousand miles.

Yes, it's an easy DIY item.

Last edited by I6turbo; 08-24-09 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-24-09, 10:49 AM
danxp
Driver

yeah, i'm probably gonna go with the oem filter...
Old 08-24-09, 11:31 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People are split with K&N filters. I used them in the previous cars and trucks that I have had but not in the LS. I have heard stories about the oil from it throwing MAF sensor codes.
Old 08-24-09, 12:15 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
People are split with K&N filters. I used them in the previous cars and trucks that I have had but not in the LS. I have heard stories about the oil from it throwing MAF sensor codes.
Bingo! I also used to use K&N filters. GM covered replacing the MAFS on my 04 CTS. I doubt GM would do that today.
Old 08-24-09, 12:29 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Bingo! I also used to use K&N filters. GM covered replacing the MAFS on my 04 CTS. I doubt GM would do that today.
Just curious about something.... I'm assuming the oil from the K&N was determined to have damaged the MAF, correct? If so, did it happen after the K&N had been cleaned and re-oiled, or did it happen as a result of the "original" oil that came on the filter from the factory?
Old 08-24-09, 02:01 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ A correction: I had a Volant filter in the CTS, not a K&N. The filters appeared identical except for the oil color - blue for Volant and red for K&N. The MAFS failure occured shortly after I installed the Volant filter that was pre-oiled at the factory. I cleaned and re-oiled the filter sometime later with K&N oil that I had on the shelf. The MAFS problem manifested itself in a rough idle.

BTW, I have a soft spot for AC Delco MAFS units. I worked on the automation of the early test and calibration stands for these units in the early 80s. That was a fun project.
Old 08-24-09, 07:17 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my 98 mustang cobra i had a problem with a k&n air filter and the MAF. Ford dealer told me that the filter could void the warranty. I told them to take a hike that the filter was not the problem and to prove it I pulled out one of their speed equipment catalogs for Mustangs and right there is a K&N air filter. They were a little miffed to say the least. Ford is selling K&N under the ford name in the catalog. There is also a law called the Magneson warranty act that lets you put other than factory stuff on your car without affecting your warranty. Its on the side of the box of all K&N products.

I personally have used K&N for years and have one in my LS. You can get them on Ebay for about 48 bucks.
Old 08-25-09, 03:43 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually go with OEM denso, or profilutor at the local Autozone.
Old 08-25-09, 12:59 PM
danxp
Driver

so are fram and stp air filters garbage?

the one good thing about the k&n is it's washable...
Old 08-25-09, 01:06 PM
danxp
Driver

what part number is the oem air filter at the toyota dealer?
Old 08-25-09, 02:44 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by danxp
what part number is the oem air filter at the toyota dealer?
http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/me...Store_Code=LSC

For a 2004, part number is 17801-50030
Old 08-25-09, 05:58 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danxp
so are fram and stp air filters garbage?

the one good thing about the k&n is it's washable...
Probably not but I'd go OEM because you know the fit and function perfect. I've had K&N on previous vehicles but I just use OEM's nowadays. Don't have to clean em and oil em.
Old 08-26-09, 10:23 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
... I don't think K&N really denies that they don't filter as well as paper elements, but they claim that the small sand, particles, etc, that get through won't cause damage to the engine. I don't know if that latter part is true or not, but I'd feel better knowing that stuff isn't getting through...
Same here. I don't know what Lexus claims for their filters, but shouldn't the air filter technically filter out ALL PARTICLES (or atleast down to some minute amount) from entering the air flow to engine? Otherwise, what is filter for if it's noted that it allows for some particles.

Well, atleast they're honest...
Old 08-26-09, 10:45 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Same here. I don't know what Lexus claims for their filters, but shouldn't the air filter technically filter out ALL PARTICLES (or atleast down to some minute amount) from entering the air flow to engine? Otherwise, what is filter for if it's noted that it allows for some particles.
Frankly, I don't believe that the particles that I see getting through my K&N are too small to cause wear. They are in fact extremely fine, but I can visibly see them and I can feel them, so when they end up in the ring lands or piston skirts, it just seems that they could cause wear -- at least that's my fear. If I drove the car more I'd probably build an air box that would use a large paper element, but pushing 300 HP/liter on a stock shortblock, minor wear from these particles (IF it's happening) isn't really likely to be the engine's eventual undoing.

I should have made a photo last time I service the filter, but I didn't. My filter http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RE-0870
hangs downward with the opening facing up. Consequently, some of the small particles that make it through the filtration material end up laying on the bottom of the plastic "end cap" so to speak, making it easy to see and feel them. And this was after only about 5K miles, if I recall correctly.

Quick Reply: best air filter?