LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Lexus LS430 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 07:00 PM
LS430_Mike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus LS430 Owner

Hello guys. I'm a new proud LS430 owner. I bought an 02 non ultra LS. I really wanted an Ultra but I could not pass up this deal. It's silver on black.

To fill you in a little about me and my car taste, I have had 2 Q45's. One I went with a VIP EXE style with. I was very pleased with the look of the car. The last car I had (the one I sold to buy the LS with) was a 00 740IL. The caf was factory ride height with a set of staggered SSR 3 piece 19" wheels. The car looked great. When looking for a new car, I went and drove the LS. I fell in love. The car was quiet, smooth, and full of power. I was and still am very impressed with the car. I know Lexus quality is great. Problems are few and far between. Bottom line, I love the car.

So now, here are my questions.

1. I need wheels. This is the worst part about this car. I don't want to go the VIP route anymore. I do like the 18" Ultra wheels a lot. Do the newer LS460 wheels fit? Is the offset the same? How is the fitment? Where do you recomend I look for a set at a decent price?

2. I don't mint the front end of the car. I plan on adding HID's to the fog lights. But I can't stand the back end. The tail lights with the amber in them drive me nuts. It simply dates the car. Can the newer clear lights be retrofitted? Is there a company that makes these for an 02?

3. I don't like the grille. It needs help. Any suggestions there?

4. Are there any problems I can expect? I know this is a quality car. But is there anything to worry about? The car I bought JUST had the timing belt replaced by LEXUS.

I hope to become a contributing member of this forum. So far, I love the car. I am eager to learn and am a true ca enthousiast. More so for high end luxo barges such as the LS430. There is nothing like pushing a big V8 RWD car down the highway.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-27-09, 07:53 PM
duncan73
Driver

Welcome to the Board Mike. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-27-09, 08:17 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430_Mike
So now, here are my questions.
1. I need wheels. This is the worst part about this car. I don't want to go the VIP route anymore. I do like the 18" Ultra wheels a lot. Do the newer LS460 wheels fit? Is the offset the same? How is the fitment? Where do you recommend I look for a set at a decent price?

LS460 bolt patter is different. Look through the forum here for some examples of what different wheels on members car looks like. Sometimes a wheel looks good in a magazine but not or the car or vice versa

2. I don't mint the front end of the car. I plan on adding HID's to the fog lights. But I can't stand the back end. The tail lights with the amber in them drive me nuts. It simply dates the car. Can the newer clear lights be retrofitted? Is there a company that makes these for an 02?

You can change the trunk lid and side lamps of a 04+. Ebay for the side light for a decent price.

3. I don't like the grille. It needs help. Any suggestions there?

Again, several members here have painted, removed emblem, and installed aftermarket grills.

4. Are there any problems I can expect? I know this is a quality car. But is there anything to worry about? The car I bought JUST had the timing belt replaced by LEXUS.

As long as the major service bulletin items has been applied, your car should be trouble free.
And lastly, welcome to Club Lexus
Old 04-27-09, 08:20 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the best section of CLUB LEXUS Here it is almost a ritual to post pics if you are a new owner/or if you have done any mods.... NO PICS>>>>no fun!!
Old 04-28-09, 05:29 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Airtime said, you can change the lid and outer lights to the '04+ lights, but that requires some major money. For $400 or less, you can get the aftermarket LEDs from EBay. You can also easily upgrade to LED 3rd brake light too, just look at the current thread running about it.
Old 04-28-09, 06:16 AM
Lac
Driver

Mike:
I have like-new 18" aftermarket rims and tires if you're interested.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...res-800-a.html
Old 04-28-09, 08:00 AM
LS430_Mike
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys.

Do the Ebay LED's throw any "light burned out" codes on the dash of the car? I think this may be the route I go. I don't want to change the trunk lid on the car.
Old 04-28-09, 08:45 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome to the forum....you will learn lots here
Old 04-28-09, 09:36 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL and good luck with your new ride.

Lots of posts on the look of the older gen. tails and a few of us have changed them out to LED's as along with you, I didn't like the amber look on my '02. I got mine from Option Racing in Cali and love the look...no probs with any dash lights coming on either although I have heard of other members having them.
Here's a link to a rather lengthy conversation on them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-01-03-a.html

Good luck.
Old 04-28-09, 11:16 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the LED tail lights come with resistors, they will not throw any codes. Mine were from Option Racing also and came with resistors.
Old 04-28-09, 11:55 AM
adob0
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats and welcome!
Old 04-28-09, 05:10 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Plug and Play

Originally Posted by LS430_Mike
Thanks guys.

Do the Ebay LED's throw any "light burned out" codes on the dash of the car? I think this may be the route I go. I don't want to change the trunk lid on the car.
Make sure the description says "plug and play" or something like that. I got a pair for my RX300 and it was out with the old, in with the new, and I was cruising around in less than 20 minutes. The newer generation lights will have resistors built-in (basically a metal plate) and they won't trigger the blown light indicator.

This is definitely the faster, cheaper, and I think cleaner way to go.

Good luck and have fun hunting for your lights.
Old 04-28-09, 05:49 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Welcome to CL Mike. Like someone said on here, where are the pics
Old 04-29-09, 01:35 PM
LS430_Mike
Driver School Candidate

I will post pics soon. It's nothing special at this point. Just a Bone stock LS430. But damn she rides nice!!

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
Welcome to CL Mike. Like someone said on here, where are the pics
Old 04-29-09, 02:15 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome.
Even a bone stock LS430 is something special.
I've had mine less than 2 months and love it.

Quick Reply: New Lexus LS430 Owner