LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

lights (healights turn from blue to bright white, and swivel around corners)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 05:08 PM
mercclk6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights (healights turn from blue to bright white, and swivel around corners)

hey is it my car or do all ls430's come like this. i have an 05 why is it when you start the car the lights start out with a blue tint then after a minute or so they turn bright white. also just found out that my head lights turn when going around a corner i can see it more on the left than rite why is that. thirdly i kinda like the blue tint where can i get a pair ( good ones not the cheapoos ) and how hard are they to install.
Old 01-21-09, 07:24 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, the adaptive lighting turns more towards left than right (I believe 12 degrees and 8 degrees respectively) but I'm not sure why. Perhaps to compensate for the angle of vision for driver being offset to the left, rather than really dead center to the vehicle.
Old 01-22-09, 11:17 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mercclk6
thirdly i kinda like the blue tint where can i get a pair ( good ones not the cheapoos ) and how hard are they to install.
www.mobileHID.com is a clublexus vendor and has been a good source for bulbs. They even have special discounts for clublexus members. Check the FAQ for pics of installation posted by one of our members.
Old 01-23-09, 08:04 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
www.mobileHID.com is a clublexus vendor and has been a good source for bulbs. They even have special discounts for clublexus members. Check the FAQ for pics of installation posted by one of our members.
Thank you Grand LS4!
Old 01-23-09, 12:30 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yup the blue to white charges, and you can see it get brighter as it gets whiter!
Old 01-25-09, 12:59 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 06 Ultra has the adapative headlamps. When I start the car they balance with the up and down motion. My parent's have an 07 RX350 with the adapative headlamps. When starting the RX the headlamps adjust up and down then side to side. Are the headlamps on my 06 Ultra suppose to adjust side to side when starting too seeing as they have the same kind of system?
Old 04-05-12, 08:48 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
My 06 Ultra has the adapative headlamps. When I start the car they balance with the up and down motion. My parent's have an 07 RX350 with the adapative headlamps. When starting the RX the headlamps adjust up and down then side to side. Are the headlamps on my 06 Ultra suppose to adjust side to side when starting too seeing as they have the same kind of system?
My 2004 LS only adjust vertical alignment for difference in load-leveling. I assume the ALS does not "look" left and right on 2004-2006 LS430... (By the way, my ALS is functioning fine too, so I don't think there is an issue)
Old 04-05-12, 09:00 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
yes, the adaptive lighting turns more towards left than right (I believe 12 degrees and 8 degrees respectively) but I'm not sure why. Perhaps to compensate for the angle of vision for driver being offset to the left, rather than really dead center to the vehicle.

In Japan, (and also in Great Britain) the roads are much narrower and tighter, and drivers sit on the right, and drive on the left side of the road. Now, in those areas, the need to rotate the light tighter in the left (nearest to the curbs and property walls) is much more critical and beneficial for such systems in small intersections. There typically, the lanes are 7.5~8ft wide, and with very little or no escape zones.

In the USA, there is less of a need to rotate the lamps so tightly as our roads are generally with 9 feet wide lanes, and 30~40 feet street widths even in the minimal residential zones, usually with much more sidewalk space and escape room. Having said this, the biggest merit in the USA for the ALS is more during the higher speed driving through darkly lit passes, where smaller angles of rotation is ideal.

Having said this, the product planners and engineers, probably never bothered to re-calibrate or change what worked already sufficiently in the USA, and chose to reduce costs and ease production and parts availability by sharing the similar ALS mechanisms.

I still don't know why they equipped the USA models with electric retracting mirrors either. In my years of ownership in the USA, I have NEVER once encountered the need to have it fold electrically. However in Japan, even smallest of cars regularly fold mirrors to clear really narrow streets with opposing traffic, and also in vertical "ferris wheel" crane public parking systems where protruding mirrors often get in the way of reaching the driver's door, parked on the very narrow ramps they hang on. And, on a very large car like the LS430 in Japan, it's a necessity and a big bonus to have fold automatically upon parking the car.

Last edited by motohide; 04-05-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 09:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

They actually swivel 15 degrees to the left, and 5 to the right. I too thought there was something wrong with the car when I first got it...but then my stupid *** realized "Duh! You don't need as much illumination on the right side!!" Like everything else with it, they thought ahead of the consumer. The adaptive HIDs actually my favorite gizmo on the car. Good thing they're headlights because I love watching them move when I drive; otherwise I'd wreck lol.