LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 LS430 with 18" Sport Edition ST3 rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 03:37 PM
LowLex98LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please respond im desperate!!!!! Save me pure drifter

There is no information on this wheel and I arrogantly picked them up without doing research (lesson learned, im 18) and I currently do not have the right tools to measure the bore myself. If anyone owns these wheels or the author of this thread reads this, please reply with the bore size. These wheels do not directly bolt on and will change your wheels to a lugcentric setup. I just need wheel adapters
Old 03-28-19, 04:01 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts

If you have a harbor freight nearby, you can get a cheap set of Digital Dial Calipers which would allow you to measure the Center Bore of the wheels.

Or were the wheels you purchased not the correct bolt pattern? LS430 is 5x114.3 for that measurement. I did a quick google search and looks like quite a few Euro fitment options are out there so it's possible you have a set for a European car (5x112)
Old 04-02-19, 04:31 PM
LowLex98LS
Driver School Candidate

Default The calipers don't fit :(

The calipers don't fit in the center bore, I am considering selling the wheels unless I can measure it other wise. I believe ive lost this battle unfortuntely

Originally Posted by kos
If you have a harbor freight nearby, you can get a cheap set of Digital Dial Calipers which would allow you to measure the Center Bore of the wheels.

Or were the wheels you purchased not the correct bolt pattern? LS430 is 5x114.3 for that measurement. I did a quick google search and looks like quite a few Euro fitment options are out there so it's possible you have a set for a European car (5x112)
Old 04-03-19, 06:27 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It sounds like you need spacers if the calipers aren’t fitting.
Old 04-03-19, 07:05 AM
kos
Advanced

Originally Posted by LowLex98LS
The calipers don't fit in the center bore, I am considering selling the wheels unless I can measure it other wise. I believe ive lost this battle unfortuntely
Hmmm. Are there any casting marks on the backsides of the spokes? Should be able to find the bolt pattern, offset, and center bore that way as well.

Originally Posted by Kira X
It sounds like you need spacers if the calipers aren’t fitting.
The Dial Calipers aren't fitting in the center bore to see what size it is. I would guess 73.1mm as thats what a lot of aftermarket wheels are. Could either buy hubcentric rings or just roll without them if you snug the wheels down in a star pattern to get them as close to hubcentric as possible.
Old 04-03-19, 02:53 PM
LowLex98LS
Driver School Candidate

Default The casting marks include the offset, bolt pattern but no center bore of course

The casting marks don't include what I need. I want to believe kos by saying that its 73.1mm, but I cant just spend $100 on hub rings that potentially wont fit. Ive heard bolting them straight on could cause an uproar road noise and vibrations. Ive also heard it is dangerous depending on a number of different factors. Can anyone weigh in on this?
Old 04-03-19, 03:08 PM
kos
Advanced

I've ran wheels with no hubcentric rings before, haven't died yet. lol. This is on my 600whp Time Attack WRX.

If you do the first 3 lugs in a /\ pattern for the 3 points, and you snug them so that it starts to center the wheel, you can install the remaining lugs and then torque them down. You should be fine.
Old 04-03-19, 09:20 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by LowLex98LS
The casting marks don't include what I need. I want to believe kos by saying that its 73.1mm, but I cant just spend $100 on hub rings that potentially wont fit. Ive heard bolting them straight on could cause an uproar road noise and vibrations. Ive also heard it is dangerous depending on a number of different factors. Can anyone weigh in on this?
$100 hub rings?? That doesn't sound right.

Let's clarify:
The center bore measurement is the hole in the middle of the wheel. If the hole is smaller than the middle.of the hub on your car, then it's a non starter since the wheel won't even fit on the hub.
If the hole is bigger, then you could buy a set of hubcentric rings like this:
Amazon Amazon

If your calipers don't fit take a ruler to the hole and let us know what you come up with. There are generally only a handful of typical center bore measurements so even your rough measurement will probably get you close enough.

Note that these rings do not hold the weight of the wheel, they just help to center it on the hub to tighten the bolts, so plastic is fine (even preferred, the aluminum ones can sometimes corrode onto the wheel/hub).
Another note is that you will likely need new wheel nuts for an aftermarket wheel. The OEM lugs are flat, but most aftermarket wheels need conical or ball seat, so check your wheels.

If your wheels are contacting your brake caliper, THAT'S when you need a wheel spacer like this:
Amazon Amazon

The width of the spacer will depend on how much space you need to avoid brake caliper contact. Note that anything wider than about 5mm and you will need longer wheel studs too!
If the are not contacting, you don't need these (unless for looks).

The only other reason they would not fit is they are a different bolt pattern. If you see 5x114.3 on the back of the wheel then this would not be the issue.

Last edited by Ellesse; 04-03-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 06:28 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexiLov
I am in the same boat, are you saying any bore over 73.1mm will clear the brake calipers?
The center bore (size of the hole in the middle of the wheel) has no relation to how close the spokes will be to the brake caliper
Old 04-04-19, 01:39 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexiLov
So its a crap-shoot ?
Find a seller that knows what they're talking about and they will reccomend a wheel that will fit, otherwise yes, it can be.

Essentially you need a 'high disc' wheel design, many aftermarket companies will offer the same wheel design in high, medium, or low disc designs where high will provide the most clearance between the wheel and caliper which is what you need. If you Google it you will find more info.
Old 04-08-19, 09:45 AM
LowLex98LS
Driver School Candidate

Default I have finally done it

Well boys after some research and realizing im an idiot, I solved the problem. If you cant fit the dial caliper just measure a few pieces of cardboard at specifc millimeters you believe it could be. I did this and found out through the process of elimination it was indeed 73.1mm. I ordered rings and hubs thanks to the helpful user dropping the link. Totaled out to $30.00 which was quite useful for my tight budet. I am now a step further to my budget build and will update you guys in the future. Am truly thankful to have a helpful welcoming community to rely on if needed.

Wheels go on friday!!