LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

aftermarket radio in ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 02:00 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Owczar
I have installed mirabox on my LS430 with mark levinson audio. Everythink works fine. I am able to listen mp3/flac and play all most popular video formats form USB - steering by app on the phone. I could also connect my phone by miracast/airplay. Sound quality is very good. Chipset

Miracast/airplay on LS430 - YouTube
OK, I am fine with the look and sound of the ML system in my LS430 (for the most part) but, miracast ? Really ? Very freaking cool. It would kick butt if you could control it via the touch screen but, I know we cant have everything..

How much and does it truly share everything ? For example could I use the factory nav and have miracast connected listening to music etc ?

How much and how hard was it to install ?
Old 05-30-16, 11:56 PM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two switches on armrest:

I can change video and audio source independently. By first one switch I choose between Mark Levinson radio and mirabox audio, by second one I choose video source between Lexus navigation system and mirabox.

Mirabox give me a lot of opportunities. I can use screen mirroring with audio or listen only music without video, I can play one of playlists from USB - music or video, I can also play local media from phone by DLNA. It is not neccessary to share phone screen all the time. It will play music or video and I can forward music by one touch on phone screen. When I choose audio source from mirabox I can normally use navigation with voice guidance. Even when I switch video source to mirabox I can use navigation voice guidance. Of course I can switch LCD video source to Option, Audio, Climate Control.

I have bought mirabox from China by 62$. To connect composite video output to OEM navscreen you must use composite to RGBS converter. I have bought DIY solution 2 years ago to connect backup camera. I also made DIY switcher to change video and audio source - in all cases - when source is switched to mirabox or navigation, when I put reverse gear, video is switching to backup camera.

The only drawback is that I can`t steering playlist from nav screen and
steering wheel. But total cost was only 70$ (without RGBS converter which costs about 40$).

You can find more info here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-on-ls430.html
Old 02-23-17, 03:27 PM
TexasLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a newbie to the forum and the information here is so useful and helpful. THANK YOU for posting the pictures and the explanation. I have a 2004 LS430 with no Nav and no ML. I did have one question on your install of the Pioneer 8200NEX. Is there any connections needed in the trunk or elsewhere to put in antennas for the radio and navigation? If so is the install easy enough for a non-techy person to do it? I would like an in built navigation tool instead of casting it from my phone through Google Auto.
I went to Best Buy today and the tech there wants me to bypass all existing speakers and amps and it was going to cost upward of $2500 for the whole package. After reading your post it appears that the Beatsonic has a plug and play option(SLA-24A) for a Non ML with no navigation which may be the best option for me.
Old 02-23-17, 04:36 PM
espresso19
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my post of my setup and it is under the $2500 best buy is asking. forget about it. Go to the beatsonic website and see if there is an audio installer near you that is authorized Beatsonic dealer. If not contact beatsonic to get the right kit for your system. I was lucky that beatsonic pointed me to an authorized dealer here in Los Angeles and gave me a deal on the Pioneer 8200NEX since I was buying the beatsonic from them and having them do the install.

To answer your last post, I did not do the install but the antenna was setup on the front windshield and not in the trunk. If you can find a local beatsonic dealer to do the install, I would go that route instead of Best Buy. If not buy the beatsonic and pioneer and find and audio installer in your area and I am sure you can get the install for $200 or less. Good luck

Pioneer 8200NEX $1,200
Beatsonic $390
USB/HDMI Cig Connector $50
Install $180
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9484848

Originally Posted by TexasLS430
I am a newbie to the forum and the information here is so useful and helpful. THANK YOU for posting the pictures and the explanation. I have a 2004 LS430 with no Nav and no ML. I did have one question on your install of the Pioneer 8200NEX. Is there any connections needed in the trunk or elsewhere to put in antennas for the radio and navigation? If so is the install easy enough for a non-techy person to do it? I would like an in built navigation tool instead of casting it from my phone through Google Auto.
I went to Best Buy today and the tech there wants me to bypass all existing speakers and amps and it was going to cost upward of $2500 for the whole package. After reading your post it appears that the Beatsonic has a plug and play option(SLA-24A) for a Non ML with no navigation which may be the best option for me.
Old 02-23-17, 05:23 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by espresso19
Here is my post of my setup and it is under the $2500 best buy is asking. forget about it. Go to the beatsonic website and see if there is an audio installer near you that is authorized Beatsonic dealer. If not contact beatsonic to get the right kit for your system. I was lucky that beatsonic pointed me to an authorized dealer here in Los Angeles and gave me a deal on the Pioneer 8200NEX since I was buying the beatsonic from them and having them do the install.

To answer your last post, I did not do the install but the antenna was setup on the front windshield and not in the trunk. If you can find a local beatsonic dealer to do the install, I would go that route instead of Best Buy. If not buy the beatsonic and pioneer and find and audio installer in your area and I am sure you can get the install for $200 or less. Good luck

Pioneer 8200NEX $1,200
Beatsonic $390
USB/HDMI Cig Connector $50
Install $180
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9484848
How do you like the 8200NEX? I have a Beatsonic kit, but have yet to pick a head unit yet.
Old 02-23-17, 05:32 PM
espresso19
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Love it. The nex has multiple us connections plus if your an iphone user, it has a connection for Apple. The installer put in the secondary connection in my glove compartment and put in a hard drive with all my ripped vinyl records, mixes etc in wav format. The cig usb allows me to use my google maps from my phone and able to reply to my text via voice command. Overall, I am very happy with the NEX.

If you hate cables, just hit the Bluetooth and that's all it takes for music and phone calls.

Originally Posted by 02Legend
How do you like the 8200NEX? I have a Beatsonic kit, but have yet to pick a head unit yet.
The following users liked this post:
02Legend (02-23-17)
Old 08-16-18, 01:11 AM
GROCLS430
Driver School Candidate

Default What harness

[QUOTE=toantran99;9502580]My aftermarket radio. Did not go with the Beatsonic kit.

what harness did you use to connect your aftermarket unit? I have an alpine headunit and when i hook it up the AC controls stop working for factory nav unit!? What gives
Old 08-17-18, 12:52 PM
edl415
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toantran99
My aftermarket radio. Did not go with the Beatsonic kit.
Originally Posted by GROCLS430
what harness did you use to connect your aftermarket unit? I have an alpine headunit and when i hook it up the AC controls stop working for factory nav unit!? What gives
When you installed your Alpine, did you unplug both connectors going to the factory stereo? From what I've been reading, it seems that you need to leave the connectors plugged into the factory radio for the nav screen and climate controls to work properly.

I'm about to do the same thing on my 2004 LS with factory nav since the factory amp is blown. Planning to install a headunit where the CD changer is with RCA going to a 5 channel aftermarket amp in the trunk. If what I said above is true, then you could use a Y splitter harness and just tap the wires you need to power the aftermarket headunit without disturbing the factory wires or connections. Still trying to figure it out - hoping rkw77080 will give us the answer
Old 08-17-18, 01:02 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by edl415
When you installed your Alpine, did you unplug both connectors going to the factory stereo? From what I've been reading, it seems that you need to leave the connectors plugged into the factory radio for the nav screen and climate controls to work properly.

I'm about to do the same thing on my 2004 LS with factory nav since the factory amp is blown. Planning to install a headunit where the CD changer is with RCA going to a 5 channel aftermarket amp in the trunk. If what I said above is true, then you could use a Y splitter harness and just tap the wires you need to power the aftermarket headunit without disturbing the factory wires or connections. Still trying to figure it out - hoping rkw77080 will give us the answer
To get the nav screen to work without a radio you have to physically take apart the radio and keep pieces of it plugged in in your dash board
Old 08-17-18, 01:21 PM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
To get the nav screen to work without a radio you have to physically take apart the radio and keep pieces of it plugged in in your dash board
I think we're saying the same thing, just using different words.

1. If you have factory NAV, you'll need a beatsonic or similar if you're going to completely remove the factory radio, install aftermarket, and retain use of the factory nav screen and climate controls.

2. If you leave the factory radio plugged in and install an aftermarket single-DIN headunit where the factory CD changer was, as long as the factory harness is plugged into the factory stereo and the harness is just tapped to power the aftermarket headunit, the nav screen and climate controls *should* continue working. I believe this is how toantran99's setup on post 60 and 82 works, just looking from confirmation from someone who's done it. I tried PM'ing toantran99, but no response.

Last edited by edl415; 08-17-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 04:15 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

I think we're saying the same thing, just using different words.

1. If you have factory NAV, you'll need a beatsonic or similar if you're going to completely remove the factory radio, install aftermarket, and retain use of the factory nav screen and climate controls.

2. If you leave the factory radio plugged in and install an aftermarket single-DIN headunit where the factory CD changer was, as long as the factory harness is plugged into the factory stereo and the harness is just tapped to power the aftermarket headunit, the nav screen and climate controls *should* continue working. I believe this is how toantran99's setup on post 60 and 82 works, just looking from confirmation from someone who's done it. I tried PM'ing toantran99, but no response.
No I am saying like physically take apart the radio and put pieces in your dash behind your aftermarket radio lol
Old 08-17-18, 04:17 PM
edl415
Driver

No I am saying like physically take apart the radio and put pieces in your dash behind your aftermarket radio lol
Read post 60. Do you think he took apart his factory radio? Just trying to figure out what he did.

Last edited by edl415; 08-17-18 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 02:02 AM
GROCLS430
Driver School Candidate

No i did t use a harness i just connected the power ground and illumintion and remote wire! If i unplug my alpine head unit then my nav and all works but if i plug it in only my alpine head unit mworks and not the nav! I wanted to know is there a way around his or something i can do, it has to be something small cause it works but just not together cause of the sharing of power! I have both hooked to same power line!
Old 08-18-18, 09:03 AM
edl415
Driver

Originally Posted by GROCLS430
No i did t use a harness i just connected the power ground and illumintion and remote wire! If i unplug my alpine head unit then my nav and all works but if i plug it in only my alpine head unit mworks and not the nav! I wanted to know is there a way around his or something i can do, it has to be something small cause it works but just not together cause of the sharing of power! I have both hooked to same power line!
Interesting! Are you using factory amp or aftermarket amp? Is your Alpine headunit using these wires?

Accessory - grey
Always on - blue/yellow
Ground - brown
Illumination - green
Remote turn on - white/blue
Old 08-18-18, 09:04 AM
edl415
Driver

Can you point me to any posts showing this done? Just trying to learn more about how/why. Thanks.

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio in ls430?