aftermarket radio in ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 03:15 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSDoc
Moto,

You seem like you are the authority on these matters!

I have a 2001 LS430 and I would like to upgrade my sound system.
I have called a rep at VAIS Tech, and he stated that I can't use BOTH my iPod and XM in my present system, because of the (outdated) wiring. Without getting some system that doesn't look like a Levinson (i.e., not factory), is it possible to put a later model system into the dash and utilize the remainder of the system (amp, speakers, etc.); maybe even get navigation system, as well??? Would the cost be unreasonable?
With the complexities and proprietary system Toyota uses for LS430's, it is next to impossible to modify the OEM system extensively. There are some features in the OEM radios to add components and there are aftermarket systems designed to trick the systems into OEM circuits like the following
http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm
http://www.diceelectronics.com/
These may allow you to add components. Still the systems are limited to what the OEM unit allows, and its not very intuitive to some in interface.

If your goal is large expansion, and you do not have OEM Navigation option installed, it is much cleaner (in terms of system design on the back end, electronically) to remove the OEM head unit, and use Beatsonic's adapters, or strip the audio altoghther, and start fresh with an aftermarket system which has better Navigation maps, response, and more customizable audio and video solutions.

Lastly, the OEM non-nav and OEM nav-equipped cars have very different wire harnesses, system components, trim and body control computers and retrofitting it either way will cost a lot more than simply selling the car and buying the one with desired equipment list.

Last edited by motohide; 07-28-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 10:07 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moto,
The main concern I have is the loss of steering wheel control for the functions of the ML. If there were a way I could install the Nav system and have full functions at the steering wheel, I'd be all over it. But, I don't want the Nav all that bad, if that's the price I have to pay.
At this point, it looks like using Vais to add a second headunit is the best option for me. Maybe I should follow the KISS rule...
Old 07-28-10, 12:37 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Well I guess the only viable solution would be to physically take apart and isolate the switch wires on the steering and see if you can interface the pins to the ones inside the circuit board of the head unit to corresponding pins. However the problem lies if the NAV system in question is primarily touch screen operated, as that would just render this method impossible. Things like volume controls would probably work this way if there is a UP DOWN switch on the head unit. And MODE switch too if there is a physical button for it.
Old 07-29-10, 10:19 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by motohide
Well I guess the only viable solution would be to physically take apart and isolate the switch wires on the steering and see if you can interface the pins to the ones inside the circuit board of the head unit to corresponding pins. However the problem lies if the NAV system in question is primarily touch screen operated, as that would just render this method impossible. Things like volume controls would probably work this way if there is a UP DOWN switch on the head unit. And MODE switch too if there is a physical button for it.
Moto,
On my '01 LS, I don't have Nav, so I hope that makes things simpler. Anyway, is it conceivable that what you can do is use Vais to add a second headunit, thus keeping your ML and everything? What you would do is use a single den head unit and install it where the 6-disc changer is. That will give you XM, Ipod, MP3, and digital radio. Your ML will recognize the second head unit as a cd changer, this will let you keep all of your steering wheel and touch controls. Sound reasonable???
Old 08-02-10, 11:01 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LSDoc
Moto,
On my '01 LS, I don't have Nav, so I hope that makes things simpler. Anyway, is it conceivable that what you can do is use Vais to add a second headunit, thus keeping your ML and everything? What you would do is use a single den head unit and install it where the 6-disc changer is. That will give you XM, Ipod, MP3, and digital radio. Your ML will recognize the second head unit as a cd changer, this will let you keep all of your steering wheel and touch controls. Sound reasonable???
Sure, you can go splice another input into the original radio using your head unit so that it has a double head unit. I've usually don't like to resort to doing this because it becomes clumsy in operation when there are two separate source selection switches between the two master devices.

However yes, doing it this way will retain all of your factory radio functions in all but anything hooked up to the secondary head unit you added.

Also, anything automated in the secondary head unit like the bluetooth speaker phone's automatic mute, and navigation voices will not function with factory radio or other OEM radio functions outside of having the system set to the secondary unit. As it only mutes the output of the secondary system and not the primary OEM head unit.

Summary with VAIS:

All functions from steering wheel maintained on Primary head unit functions but No function/source select on secondary head unit, from the steering wheel controller.

Navigation Voice, Automated muting, Dynamic volume leveling, Phone mute/speaker phone will not function correctly on the primary head unit unless the source is selected to feed the secondary unit, if these peripherals are hooked on the secondary head unit.

Last edited by motohide; 08-02-10 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 09:57 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

OK, Moto!
This has the potential to give me a serious case of Tired-head!
I'm not sure I completely understand how all of this works. Do you think I will be able to use the steering wheel controls to operate the iPod and XM from this set-up?
Old 08-17-10, 10:25 AM
motohide
Pole Position

XM radio, if operated from the factory head unit Lexus option device, will work with your steering wheel control, but if it is a tuner that is aftermarket device working from your secondary unit, it will not work with steering wheel control. All external iPOd controllers are part of your secondary aftermarket unit so the OEM steering wheel controls will not work for the iPOD control.
Old 09-25-10, 12:41 AM
cdewet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly I am new here, so hi!

I am planning to install a Kenwood DNX9140 in my 2004 LS430. Does anyone know what the difference between the Beatsonic SLA-24A and Metra TYTO-01 harness is? I know the you loose the Fade functionality with the SLA-24A, but is this the case with the TYTO-01?

Also has anyone got the PAC SWI-JACK to work with the steering wheel control? Any recommendations for a good adapter?

Thanks, Chris
Old 11-14-10, 09:29 PM
slimblk
Driver School Candidate

this set up is nice
Old 12-29-10, 04:00 PM
mikeybee21
Driver School Candidate

Default Your car is beautiful

I just wanted to say, your Lexus looks amazing
I own a 2005 LS 430 - same color with the 18 inch sport wheels.
99% stock
Love what you did with the radio as well
Old 12-29-10, 05:00 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Photo Update.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moto_club4ag/5159971848/http://www.flickr.com/photos/moto_club4ag/5159971848/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/moto_club4ag/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moto_club4ag/3847785110/http://www.flickr.com/photos/moto_club4ag/3847785110/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/moto_club4ag/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moto_club4ag/3847786014/http://www.flickr.com/photos/moto_club4ag/3847786014/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/moto_club4ag/, on Flickr
Old 10-20-13, 06:02 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Vossen CV4, mounted on our Lexus LS430
20 Oct 2013MotoPOffCV4, Lexus, LS430, Vossen, Wheels
Vossen VVS-CV4 Wheels, mounted on our Lexus LS430…
Cars should always have a very narrowly defined purpose to which it was made for.
Sports cars should be agile, light, beautiful, and communicative, and that’s what the AE86, and the FRS is appropriately.
Luxury sedans too, shall be made with a single focus, that is to be silent, large, comfortable as a first class cabin, and stately.

Vossen wheels were chosen to update our Lexus LS430 project car, and it brings the car into 2013 after 10 years of service since it rolled off the showroom floor.

Vossen VVS-CV4
Front: 20×9.0J, +32, 5×114.3
Rear: 20×10.5J, +45, 5×114.3

Falken Tire FK453, 245/35-20 and 275/30-20

RS*R i-SHock, Monotube, Full-Tapped, Variable Coil-Over.
Ings LX-SPORT Aero.

Old 01-04-14, 02:50 PM
mgd2001
Driver School Candidate

Moto - I just bought the Pioneer AVIC-950BH and the Metra Double Din adapter kit which included the TYTO-01 Axxess Interface and antenna adapter. I clearly made a mistake and didn't read everything on the Spiralinstallations.com web site clearly or maybe they weren't clear and there wasn't a link to the Metra site where I verified their kit wasn't designed for double din "navigator" units. So after removing the factory head unit and finding the cross bar but also measuring from face of OEM trim and available depth until major surgery would be needed, I determined that the Metra dash kit won't work. It did appear that cutting the cross bar was a viable solution but still didn't give me enough depth. Additionally, there is the magnetic sensor that clips to the bottom of the environmental controls cluster. My questions are; 1) What depth will the Beat Sonic dash kit provide? 2) What did you do with the Magnetic Sensor? 3) Are the non-navigator units not as deep thus allowing the Metra dash kit to work and which ones? (maybe I forego the navigation function)

My phone has navigation when needed, I mostly wanted a double din LCD interface and Bluetooth. I hate having wires and cables hanging out of my dash. I appreciate the Beatsonic adapter but it does stick out pretty far, not sure I like that.

Anyway, you're clearly the expert on this OEM conversion and would appear to be the utmost authority on options available for the LS430. Your reply would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by mgd2001; 01-04-14 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-14, 11:48 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mgd2001
Moto - I just bought the Pioneer AVIC-950BH and the Metra Double Din adapter kit which included the TYTO-01 Axxess Interface and antenna adapter. I clearly made a mistake and didn't read everything on the Spiralinstallations.com web site clearly or maybe they weren't clear and there wasn't a link to the Metra site where I verified their kit wasn't designed for double din "navigator" units. So after removing the factory head unit and finding the cross bar but also measuring from face of OEM trim and available depth until major surgery would be needed, I determined that the Metra dash kit won't work. It did appear that cutting the cross bar was a viable solution but still didn't give me enough depth. Additionally, there is the magnetic sensor that clips to the bottom of the environmental controls cluster. My questions are; 1) What depth will the Beat Sonic dash kit provide? 2) What did you do with the Magnetic Sensor? 3) Are the non-navigator units not as deep thus allowing the Metra dash kit to work and which ones? (maybe I forego the navigation function)

My phone has navigation when needed, I mostly wanted a double din LCD interface and Bluetooth. I hate having wires and cables hanging out of my dash. I appreciate the Beatsonic adapter but it does stick out pretty far, not sure I like that.

Anyway, you're clearly the expert on this OEM conversion and would appear to be the utmost authority on options available for the LS430. Your reply would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I never used anything from Metra, so I wouldn't know about that particular kit.

Beatsonic's SLA23 and 24 (depending on your year and options on the LS430) has everything you need to both install a 2DIN radio physically with a cosmetic plates and trim, and to interface with the factory amplifiers and antenna.
The SLA23/24 also has protruding trim plate that gives you enough room for a clean installation that does not require you to cut up any of the original dash. The only thing it will require is for you to simply mount the unit and use the supplied electronic interface to plug straight into the amplifiers and antenna. It's rather expensive, but so is cutting up anything in the Lexus automobile, if you ever wanted to revert the console to OEM too, so it's rather a choice of doing it this way with certain expense.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/sla-24a.html

The link above will show you exactly what's included and how it will interface. I think this is what you are looking for.

Last edited by motohide; 01-05-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-20-14, 10:59 PM
tetsugendo
Driver School Candidate

Default wheels before vossen

motohide san, what were the wheels you had on your car before the Vossen? also could you teach me the sizes as well?
Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio in ls430?