LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trailer Hitch on LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 02:08 PM
mjfn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
mjfn, I hate to say it, but from all indications, there is a high probability that there will be electrical issues from an install of that harness. The only question is whether the issues people have had in the past have resulted from corrosion of the splices over time, or just from having additional load on the electrical system for which it was not designed to accommodate. If it's from the later, then there's no way around it. If it's the former, then greater care can be taken during the install to completely seal the splices from the elements (water, snow, road salt, etc.)

It sounds like you know your limits, and if you've got no mechanical savvy then you certainly wouldn't be able to do a better job than the Lexus technicians.

The only advice I could give is to search for an independent shop that specializes in aftermarket installs and custom work. They are likely to have a better handle on how to do the work-arounds necessary to pull this off without issues.
Thanks for your advice, SuperCoupe400. If I do decide to get the work done, I will look for a specialty shop to do it and ask if they can make sure they seal the splices.
Old 05-30-19, 02:20 PM
mjfn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kansas
The last Lexus I installed a trailer hitch and wiring harness on myself was a 2000 LS400. I used a general purpose wiring harness similar to the Tekonsha you bought from etrailer which is where I've bought a number of trailer hitches, wiring harnesses, bike racks and other stuff.

I would be very surprised if installing a wiring harness like the Tekonsha would cause electrical problems since the Tekonsha's converter box is powered from the vehicle battery. A trailer harness converter box is really only a set of electrical relays in a compact package that uses the vehicle's running light, brake light and turn signals as relay triggers with the power for the trailer lights coming from the vehicle battery. This is explained in the video about the Tekonsha harness on the etrailer website.

If you are conscious and mobile, then you probably have the skill set needed to install the Tekonsha. You will, however need basic tools, which the Tekonsha's installation instructions probably list. You might need to elevate the vehicle on jack stands if you run the power wire underneath the car to the engine compartment. Some people think they have to run trailer light power wires through the interior but there is little danger of a power wire ran underneath a vehicle being damaged as long as common sense is used when zip tying the power wire to the vehicle.

The installation might be a little more difficult if you want the trailer light connector mounted on the exterior of your LS430. As much as I disliked closing a trunk lid on trailer light harness wires, that's the way I did it during the 11 years I towed with my 2000 LS400. I now tow with a Sienna van although I also installed a hitch on our Prius v which is totally capable of towing our 4'x8' utility trailer.

If you are going to use only a "4-flat" trailer light connector and want it on the exterior, an especially nice solution for mounting it is a Hopkins 48595 bracket. The attached photo shows the Hopkins bracket that I installed on our Sienna - high quality and only $4. Installing the connector on the exterior of an LS430 might require chopping the wires leading to Tekonsha's connector and then splicing the wires back together with butt connectors since you may not find an existing hole in the body large enough to pass the connector through. Look for an existing grommet in your trunk.

My main cautions are: Follow the instructions and do not take shortcuts. I've been involved in many discussions on car forums about installing tow hitches and electrical harnesses and most of the problems people have reported were due to not following instructions.

If you don't want to tackle this project yourself, maybe you can find an indie Lexus repair shop that would do it for you. I would expect this task to take no more than one hour for someone who understands the basics of working on vehicles made by Toyota.

Thanks for your advice, Kansas, and all the info you provided. You've set my mind at ease, a bit, regarding how safe the Tekonsha converter box is to use. I wish I had your confidence to install the wiring but, unfortunately, I don't. Now if etrailer had a video for my exact car or if I had someone who knew what to do holding my hand, I might give it a try. I wish I lived near an indie Lexus shop. I think I will be relying on the expertise of a trailer specialty shop.
Old 05-30-19, 05:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by mjfn
Thanks for your advice, Kansas, and all the info you provided. You've set my mind at ease, a bit, regarding how safe the Tekonsha converter box is to use. I wish I had your confidence to install the wiring but, unfortunately, I don't. Now if etrailer had a video for my exact car or if I had someone who knew what to do holding my hand, I might give it a try. I wish I lived near an indie Lexus shop. I think I will be relying on the expertise of a trailer specialty shop.
Maybe I find this easy since I'm used to doing fairly major vehicle disassembly as part of a life long hobby that sometimes entailed taking cars apart just to see how they work. Last time I looked which was a few years back, there were full service trailer hitch supply stores in the Toronto area - at least one was sophisticated enough to fabricate hitches. I don't know about other areas of Ontario ... other that my visits to Toronto on business, the main area I've been to has been in around London where my mother's family history goes back to the late 1700's.

Send me a PM if you want to take this offline. I've got time on my hands since I retired a few months ago!
Old 06-03-19, 03:48 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mjfn
Reviving this thread looking for a little advice. Since I'm not an overly handy fellow, I had the Curt hitch recently installed on my '05 LS at a Canadian Lexus dealer with the understanding they would also install the Tekonsha wiring harness (recommended by etrailer) I had also provided. However, when I went to retrieve my car, I was told they did not install the harness because they had dealt with many Lexus vehicles with electrical/electronic issues caused by aftermarket trailer wiring harnesses and they weren't confident regarding the Tekonsha harness. After discovering that a Lexus trailer wiring harness was not available for the car, the service manager reluctantly agreed to set up another appointment to install the wiring but said that he couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be electrical issues.

I emailed etrailer to double check that the Tekonsha harness could be installed problem-free. Etrailer responded indicating that electrical problems had indeed been reported to them by owners of high end cars who used the splice-in harnesses and I was to use my discretion whether to install the Tekonsha product - not exactly a resounding vote of confidence.

I'm really not sure how to proceed at this point. I think I have read through all of the the threads pertaining to how to do the wiring install and have a basic idea of how everything is supposed to work but I don't have the skill set to do it myself. My question to the members who have done the wiring install themselves or have had others do it for them...have you had any type of electric or electronic failure that can be attributed to the wiring harness.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
My two cents. I installed my own hitch and wiring, using generic wiring adapter from etrailer I think. My biggest problem installing was selecting the wrong wire (color stripes are very similar). After installation I have zero “electrical issues”. I soldered every single connection. “Professional” installers like to use those horrible fold-and-pinch connectors. They have a “u” shaped piece of metal inside that is supposed to cut through the insulataion, and contact the wires inside. WHo knows how many of the conductors they damage in the process. Then the exposed wire is left unprotected to corrode and loosen. But they’re MUCH quicker than soldering and using a little care! If your installer can’t be bothered to break out a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing, I’d do the wiring by myself.

*edit* I found my old post, that includes wire colors, photos and pictures of properly soldered and heat shrink connections!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post6909950

Last edited by cyclehead; 06-03-19 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-22-22, 01:19 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Bumping this thread with some questions.
What hitch ball mount goes with this hitch to be able to pull U-Haul motorcycle trailer or a utility trailer? Potentially Kendon folding motorcycle trailer too.
I understand the car end will need to be 1 1/4". I will have to use 2" ball. Ball hole should be 3/4". How much rise is needed? (Assuming no drop is needed as hitch looks low on car)
Old 02-28-22, 01:20 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Bumping this thread with some questions.
What hitch ball mount goes with this hitch to be able to pull ... (Assuming no drop is needed as hitch looks low on car)
I’m using this one, $21 from Amazon.

The following users liked this post:
BMW7_LS430 (02-28-22)
Old 03-01-22, 03:44 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Unfortunately I had to modify a Hayman Reese tow bar for my 2002 430 as they do not make them in Australia .
Haven't done the wiring for it yet and asking what is the best wiring boost kit to get ??

Old 03-01-22, 03:47 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

U-haul site lists this wiring harness along with the curt hitch. https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...Flat/?id=13684
Will this work or it has to be a powered harness? This one has ground but no power wire.
Old 03-01-22, 03:59 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Couple of pics of the towbar itself .

Old 03-01-22, 08:21 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Just ordered one of these , https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171352163243
Pretty sure that will do the job .
Old 03-20-22, 09:03 AM
bigal426
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also installed a Curt Hitch on my 2002 LS 430. I have had it for 5 years now as I use it to move my log splitter around. My only complaint is it does hang down and has scraped when backing out of some driveways, so I now do not back out straight, and usually turn the wheel to avoid scraping. Other than that I am happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
bjchilds1 (03-21-22)
Old 10-01-22, 07:41 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Never mind,. I found the wiring information I was looking for.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ts-wiring.html

Yet to do it so will update when it works.

PSA: Wiring colors are different between 2002 and 2004.

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 10-02-22 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Found answer in the thread
Old 06-06-23, 11:36 AM
football4455
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was glad i read this about to put one on my ls 430 to tow small atv and trailer about 4 hours one way relatively flat the whole way. Thanks