LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying a new 2004 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-04, 04:21 PM
twnmango
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new 2004 LS430

I'm thinking about getting my wife a 2004 LS430, and have a few questions.

1. Pricing - Seems like Lexus is marking up their cars 7000~8000 dollars....the difference between the MSRP and Invoice Price. I would like to know what kind of deal and discounts are people getting? So far I am being quoted for around $3500 over invoice. But I've heard from some friends that $500~1000 over invoice is possible. I have a personal friend who purchased his for $800 over invoice, but when I mentioned that to my local dealer, they just laughed at me.....what's going on?

2. When is this current model first introduced? Was it in 2001? And was there any facelifts?

3. What is the avg. life cycle for Lexus LS's...for example, when will the next newly redesigned LS be due to come out? I do not want to buy a vehicle that will be replaced within the next year or two.

4. For options, so far I'm only into getting the Modern Pkgs + Sports Pkg. Some salesman told me the Sports Pkg are really really hard to come by, is it true? They said only 5 out of every 100 cars will be equiped with Sports Pkg.........I doubt it but need to verify this.

5. For color, I like Flint Mica first, then Mercury silver. Also heard from some saleman that Flint is very rare, again, like 5% of the production.

Therefore, if I wanted a Flint Mica with Modern Pkg & Sports Pkg, I'd most likly need to wait a few months and will need to pay more for it.

I almost bought a MB S430 over this past weekend cuz it seems they're easier to deal with (offered me $1000 over invoice in whichever car I wish to get, or order, or dealer swap). But from reading some reviews, I decided to give the Lexus another shot...but I need to be more prepared before I walk into a dealership knowing what kind of deal I should expect.

Thanks a lot of helping out!!

J.C.
Old 03-17-04, 06:19 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

I'm shopping too. Initial offers are around $3,000 off list. I'm in San Diego.
Let me know what you find.
I understand the Sport option was offered initially, but now are not being shipped from Japan. Perhaps they made a run of them at first, and will hold off making anymore until another batch comes over. I suspect their is not a big demand for LS 430's that ride a little harsh.
Old 03-18-04, 08:27 AM
twnmango
Driver School Candidate

Default Anyone else?

Appreciate any suggestion/comment. Tks!
Old 03-18-04, 09:01 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Buying a new 2004 LS430

Originally posted by twnmango
I have a personal friend who purchased his for $800 over invoice, but when I mentioned that to my local dealer, they just laughed at me.....what's going on?

When is this current model first introduced? Was it in 2001? And was there any facelifts?

I almost bought a MB S430 over this past weekend cuz it seems they're easier to deal with (offered me $1000 over invoice in whichever car I wish to get, or order, or dealer swap). But from reading some reviews, I decided to give the Lexus another shot...but I need to be more prepared before I walk into a dealership knowing what kind of deal I should expect.
If your friend is able to purchase one for $800 over invoice, why not buy yours from the same dealership?

You can find 01-03 LS430 information here: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library.html

April issue of Consumer Reports:
page 26 Luxury & upscale sedans overall score: LS430 scored slightly higher than MB S430
page 78 Predicted Reliability: LS430 60% above average. MB S class 30% below average.
page 80 Reliable used cars: CR good bets LS430
page 81 Used cars to avoid: MB S class 00, 02
If reliability is important, get the LS430.
Old 03-18-04, 10:45 AM
twnmango
Driver School Candidate

Well, good question. Two reasons. First, the sales manager no longer works there. Second, when I mention such "deal" to that particular dealer, in fact, any other dealer, they just laugh at me like it is impossible.

That's why I thought maybe I could seek some help/suggestion on ClubLexus....

Tks!!
Old 03-18-04, 05:03 PM
lexer
Driver School Candidate

$3K to $5K off the list is the best price you can get. The more options on teh car, the more room on the bargain. Of cause, the bargain room depends the location you are. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-04, 10:00 PM
eblue
Rookie

Originally posted by TOPLEXS
I'm shopping too. Initial offers are around $3,000 off list. I'm in San Diego.
Let me know what you find.
I understand the Sport option was offered initially, but now are not being shipped from Japan. Perhaps they made a run of them at first, and will hold off making anymore until another batch comes over. I suspect their is not a big demand for LS 430's that ride a little harsh.
Check out Longo Lexus (near LA)and look for Internet Sales-Ben Hodor (check his phone nos on the Longo lexus "Meet our Staff" and ask for competitive pricing based on "invoice plus".
Old 03-19-04, 12:10 PM
alantlo
Driver School Candidate

I bought one with modern lux, sports, smart key, trunk mat/net, wheel locks (MSRP62,159) at a $4875 discount almost 3 weeks ago.
Old 03-19-04, 02:09 PM
EdSpider
Driver School Candidate

I get the feeling $3000 of LIST is the norm. They had a really good December so supply is low. It is very true about Flint Mica. I ordered mine Flint Mica Ultra in December. Only two days ago did one appear in the stream. Sport is also rare, so you should expect to wait several months to get that combo.
Old 03-19-04, 03:21 PM
RajaReMax
Driver

Bought a Modern Lux, Nav/ML, SmartKey, CarpetedMats/Trunkmat, WeatherTech WinterMats, WheelLocks & $450.00 in coupons for future service for $57,500... It came with ChromeWheels, but I had the dealer switch out the tires & wheels with another Sport w/NonChrome Wheels.

Call Claire Heil at Dave Mungenast's Lexus of St.Louis...314-822-7681 Tell her RAJA sent you.

She will get whatever you want in a few days. GoodLuck!
Old 03-19-04, 03:36 PM
RajaReMax
Driver

I'm sorry I forgot to answer any of your other questions...

2) The current model is a facelifted version of the newly designed 2001 series. Much better outfitted with
more standard features and sportier in looks...i.e.Lights, wheels & tailpipes...

3) The average model cycle is 5-6 years for a new LS. This model will be completely redesigned for the
2006 model.

4) & 5) Any dealer will run a continental search to see what is available & where. See if your dealer will
find out what is boarding the ship when it leaves port in Japan. Then have them "re-assign" the car's
initial destination to where you are. Thats what my dealer did for me back in October...

Goodluck & Enjoy!
Old 03-19-04, 03:51 PM
twnmango
Driver School Candidate

Currently the deals I've been offered for a Modern Luxury/Sports Pkg. with Smart Access are:

1. $57,500, about $4700 off list, but more than $3500 OVER invoice

2. On a 36mo/15,000mi Lease, with 0 down, about $860/mo, tax and everything included.

What do y'all think?
and yeah, Flint/Sports/blk interior combo is really tough to locate....still no luck yet...

J.C.
Old 03-19-04, 06:35 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Are you a Costco member? Would be worthwhile to find the local Costco dealership. Usually about as good as you can get.
Check costco.com for recognized dealership for your city.
Another service is available from autospies.com, but they charge $500.00
Old 03-20-04, 12:05 AM
lexer
Driver School Candidate

Wow, alantlo, you got a great deal on your LS430. I am looking ofr teh LS430 also. I have a 2001 LS430 and want another one now. Don't mentin the price I bought teh 2001. It was the window price at that time. So far, the best price I found is FleetRates.com. They are in S. CA. Their price is slightly higher than yours. Which dealer you bought yours?
Old 03-20-04, 11:45 AM
Brett
Rookie

The sports package definitely seems desireable. there was one on ebay: white,modern lux, sports pack, smart key with 10k miles and it was bid up to 55k before the guy sold it privately.

I got 3k off my black/black modern lux, sport, smart key in october

Quick Reply: Buying a new 2004 LS430