LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 12:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

With the new Tein CS out, I'd suggest those at ~$1,250. Get the EDFC for $350 more and it's a great combo.

Your wheel/tire combo is heavy enough that the softly dampened GR-2's IMO are not a good match. Even the Bilstein HD's don't IMO match well with my 18's and this combo weighs 52#'s. I hope to add the Tein in Feb-Mrach '07.
Old 06-09-06, 01:19 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like what RA40 said wait for the new Teins that are coming out if your budget allows for that. If not, go with the L-Sportline springs (Eibach made, with a more aggressive drop).

IMO, forget the H&R's, they are harsh (I've had them on different cars in the past) and as far as the GR2's, I don't think they can handle lowering springs. Maybe for a while but they'll bottom out eventually.

Ask member steveski, he's running H&R's w/ Bilsteins and a Tom's strut bar. GL!
Old 06-09-06, 01:24 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

In a perfect world, we would all have 17lbs. 20" in rims but not everyone can afford that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you gotta give and take sometimes? Bigger/Heavier wheels = better handling, better looks, better looks (Did I say that already?). LOL!

No offense to RA40 but if I wanted to watch the unsprung weight on my car, I would have gotten a Civic with Spoon wheels. No need to drive fast in a huge LS400 anyway....
Old 06-09-06, 02:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kalbo_1
No offense to RA40 but if I wanted to watch the unsprung weight on my car, I would have gotten a Civic with Spoon wheels. No need to drive fast in a huge LS400 anyway....
None taken.

The effects of the increased rotational mass on over all performance has been well discussed. In everyday...this will effect your ability to brake. On first gen's where the caliper is not as effcient for a car this size, a 60#+ wheel combo further inhibits stopping. Whether that ads 4' or 12' in ones ability to stop from 45-65 MPH can be serious.

We generally forsake the balanced design the engineers came up in the desire to achieve a particular look. Some mods have minimal impact while others can have significant changes. YMMV and as I said, IMO.
Old 06-09-06, 09:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The book replacement Bilsteins also have two snap ring settings so you can get an additional 1/2" drop if you use the lower ones. Also, your car will not have an even fender to wheel tire gap. So if these little differences bug you, don't put springs on it.

On mine, the front difference from left to right, is 1/8" Not a big deal there.
In the rear from left to right, the difference is 1/4-3/8" depending on how much gas is in the tank. This has bugged me a bit since day one. After spending about $1K for the springs+strut+install, I wasn't going to go right out and spend another $2K just to solve that. (I've got about 35K miles on the springs/struts and I'll make the change after I feel I've driven it enough. )

Here's an older pic of mine so you can see what the Bilstein/Eibach pro kit combo is like:

Old 06-09-06, 09:37 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get coilovers and never have a regret . It is the closest to an LS ride you can get being lowered.
Old 06-09-06, 11:33 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

TEIN rides great.......and u can drop it low
Old 06-10-06, 11:53 AM
lexodude
Pole Position

Hey guys,

im not exacly looking to spend that kind of money, im just looking for shocks/springs to make it lower bc it looks like a 4x4 right now....Im only 16 and working for my dad so i cant exacly put that much money to make it lower.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 06-10-06, 12:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

My suggestion...save up. The Tein's ride quality is echoed through this site.

On the GS suspension forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/75055-coilovers-vs-springs-shocks.html
Old 06-13-06, 02:49 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely fantastic information. The information on rotational weight as it relates to stopping distance is huge. I always thought if the overall diameter combination stayed the same it would not affect the stopping distance. The rotational weight is far more important to think about. I have a second gen LS with 4 piston calipers.

I went with a staggered offset : RUFF wheels (cheaper and heavier at 27 lbs.) and am happy with the look. Next time I will go for better rims -- thanks for the great information!
Old 06-13-06, 03:04 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Hey steveski -

How's that Tom's strut bar working out for you? Any noticeable difference? I noticed body flex when I lowered the car, as expected. Did it solve it somewhat.
Old 06-14-06, 10:51 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kalbo_1
Hey steveski -

How's that Tom's strut bar working out for you? Any noticeable difference? I noticed body flex when I lowered the car, as expected. Did it solve it somewhat.
Sorry for the long winded reply but I had some major body flex also after lowering it with stock struts. Since installing the STB the car is really much stiffer even with the other suspension mods. I really am enjoying the ride now. With the H&R springs, the Bilsteins and the STB, the car drives way more aggressively

Not sure how much the wheels make a difference but I am running a staggered set of 18's (275's on rear and 245's on the front) with NITTO tires.

I will add an ADDCO rear sway bar next. That will stiffen the rear. My buddy with a Pontiac Firehawk drove my LS last night. He said he was blown away with how well the car handles.

Just in case you get one - you may have to jack the vehicle up a few inches to install the brace like I did.

There's a pic of the STB installed in my gallery.
Old 06-14-06, 01:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

This is a nice bar!
Just to make it easier.

Just to note, anyone thinking of the Tein CS may not be able to use the EDFC with this bar.
Old 06-14-06, 06:55 PM
absolut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
This is a nice bar!
Just to make it easier.

Just to note, anyone thinking of the Tein CS may not be able to use the EDFC with this bar.
That is a nice bar. Is it custom?
Old 06-15-06, 09:00 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by absolut
That is a nice bar. Is it custom?
Technically yes - It is from Tom's Racing (box came with Japanese markings). I bought it from Gordon a call at Carson Toyota. It is really heavy duty as you can see. The car handles fantastic.

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)