LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just Bought a '99 LS400 with 48K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 05:11 PM
greatman77
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just Bought a '99 LS400 with 48K Miles

I wasn't in the market for one, but I was looking for a car for my son to take to college and this was one of those "too good to be true" deals that I couldn't resist. I bought this 1999 LS400 from an elderly widow who was downsizing to a smaller place after her spouse passed away. It was advertised in a local neighborhood forum here in Charlotte. It has been garaged it's entire life, and only has a legitimate 48,XXX miles on it. The car has every option except navigation, including the Nakamichi sound system, which works perfectly. Two minutes into the test drive I decided to buy it. The car drives like new, no squeaks or rattles, starts right up, doesn't leak anything, and the dashboard has no cracks or fading. The paint finish is fantastic, like new, with the exception of a few minor scratches, a scrape on the corner of the bumper where she scraped the garage parking it, and one tiny ding. It isn't perfect, the power tilt/telescope steering doesn't work and the passenger side mirror vibrates at speed (the Lexus dealer wanted $876 to fix, hard pass). The previous owner was a smoker and a pet owner, and it took a lot of cleaning the interior to get rid of the odors. I paid to have the (original, 20 year-old) timing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced, to be on the safe side. And finally, there is a warning message on the dashboard about a tail light being out, even though the tail lights are all working (how do you turn the warning off?). But I think I got a great deal. I paid $4800 for it, not including the ~$1100 for the timing belt work. As I am new to Lexus ownership, what parts/issues should I look to be worried about?

The following 2 users liked this post by greatman77:
LeX2K (06-19-19), spuds (06-19-19)
Old 06-18-19, 05:22 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, what a beauty! Since I own a 1st gen, I can't help much in terms of issues to watch out for, except that this car doesn't look like it could have any issue! (OK, maybe keep an eye out for ECU problems, which are thoroughly covered in this forum, as well as P/S pump leaking on the alternator, and due to age, probably some of the suspension components - rubber bushings and such.)
Old 06-18-19, 05:33 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

LOL, I see it has a phone. How's that analog phone working?

The only used car i've bought since the 1970's was the 2000 LS400 I bought in 2003 when it was at about 38,000 miles. It was equipped pretty much like yours with Nakamichi and heated front seats. Mine was metallic white but it had an ivory interior much like yours except mine had the Platinum Series textured "lizard" leather.

You might want to change all the fluids if not already done: coolant, brake, rear differential, engine oil. Tires, of course, if they are over about 6 years old regardless of how much tread is left.

I'm a little surprised that the tilt/telescope doesn't work at such a low mileage even if it is 20 years old. There were several updates to the tilt/telescope system but the 99's didn't have the final improvements that were implemented at the factory in early 2000. You might be able to fix it by removing the trim and seeing what is going on.

It looks like a nice find.
Old 06-18-19, 05:39 PM
greatman77
Driver School Candidate

Ha, yeah, it has an OEM phone, hilariously obsolete, I will be removing it shortly. Thanks for the recommendation about the fluids, I did change the oil, and there is a record showing the tires are recent and the radiator was flushed a couple years ago. I did look into the steering column, the tilt motor actually works but the telescope motor is shot. I just set the tilt at the angle I like and disconnected it.
Old 06-18-19, 06:46 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by greatman77
I wasn't in the market for one, but I was looking for a car for my son to take to college and this was one of those "too good to be true" deals that I couldn't resist.
. And finally, there is a warning message on the dashboard about a tail light being out, even though the tail lights are all working (how do you turn the warning off?).
The nice ones usually come around when you're not really looking for it. Your son's a lucky kid getting a beauty like this. Hope he takes good care of it.
My warning light used to come on for the tail lights and it bugged the hell out of me cuz they were all working. Then I finally realized the 3rd brake light didn't work. Check if those are burnt out.
The following users liked this post:
greatman77 (06-19-19)
Old 06-18-19, 09:09 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

I wasn't in the market for one, but I was looking for a car for my son to take to college and this was one of those "too good to be true" deals that I couldn't resist. I bought this 1999 LS400 from an elderly widow who was downsizing to a smaller place after her spouse passed away. It was advertised in a local neighborhood forum here in Charlotte. It has been garaged it's entire life, and only has a legitimate 48,XXX miles on it. The car has every option except navigation, including the Nakamichi sound system, which works perfectly. Two minutes into the test drive I decided to buy it. The car drives like new, no squeaks or rattles, starts right up, doesn't leak anything, and the dashboard has no cracks or fading. The paint finish is fantastic, like new, with the exception of a few minor scratches, a scrape on the corner of the bumper where she scraped the garage parking it, and one tiny ding. It isn't perfect, the power tilt/telescope steering doesn't work and the passenger side mirror vibrates at speed (the Lexus dealer wanted $876 to fix, hard pass). The previous owner was a smoker and a pet owner, and it took a lot of cleaning the interior to get rid of the odors. I paid to have the (original, 20 year-old) timing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced, to be on the safe side. And finally, there is a warning message on the dashboard about a tail light being out, even though the tail lights are all working (how do you turn the warning off?). But I think I got a great deal. I paid $4800 for it, not including the ~$1100 for the timing belt work. As I am new to Lexus ownership, what parts/issues should I look to be worried about?

Third brake light bulb replacement tutorial;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-bulb-fix.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...provement.html
The following users liked this post:
greatman77 (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 06:21 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

wow shes a beauty! the low miles would concern me though. even though it was well kept it hasnt been used enough. either way awesome car
Old 06-19-19, 06:24 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
The nice ones usually come around when you're not really looking for it.

so true! it happened to me! went looking high and low for a black on tan 99 in not trashed condition for over a year. never found one that wasnt absolutley clapped and ended up settling on an almost perfect base model jade green 2000 and paid $4k for it

-6 months later a pristine 99 navi car falls in my lap for $2k when i wasnt looking. lol
Old 06-19-19, 01:06 PM
greatman77
Driver School Candidate

You guys were right, it was one of the third brake light bulbs that was burned out. Thanks for the suggestion and the tutorial. It is so satisfying when you go to fix something and it is actually successful!
Old 06-19-19, 01:29 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

You guys were right, it was one of the third brake light bulbs that was burned out. Thanks for the suggestion and the tutorial. It is so satisfying when you go to fix something and it is actually successful!
When I first got my 99 last year that was one of the things. I parked behind a building at night and pressed the brake signal lights didnt see anything. It wasnt til I had my wife press on the brakes with me behind when I noticed. It was easy to replace. I took a nap as I resolved an issue lol
Old 06-19-19, 02:33 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
When I first got my 99 last year that was one of the things. I parked behind a building at night and pressed the brake signal lights didnt see anything. It wasnt til I had my wife press on the brakes with me behind when I noticed. It was easy to replace. I took a nap as I resolved an issue lol
Back when I was married, If I didn't want to be bothered after work, I used to tell the wife "Hey hunny, I'll be in the garage fixing the car". Fixing?, yea right, sleeping is more like it.

Glad it's fixed and it turned out being simple.
Old 06-20-19, 10:07 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the find and welcome to the club. Not an outrageous price, but considering you'd want your son in a decent car... this is a great choice. Just know it can go fast, very quickly and not really feel like it. Should take him all the way through school and then some.
Old 06-20-19, 11:18 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Super awesome buy! I genuinely hope the kid takes care of it. I did NOT take good care of my 97 that I bought when I was 18 and I'm constantly trying to bring it back to its former glory. Got in an accident, rust attacked exposed metal, but mechanically I've loved the car to death. So many seals and fluids changes, the interior is spotless with just some tears on the front seat. Definitely teach them how to care for it, that's just such low miles and pristine, the first scratches and dings are going to be really obvious.
Old 06-21-19, 01:47 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I cringe at the fact that this pristine low mileage car will be used by a college kid. I'm not knocking your kid, just the environment it may be around with other irresponsible kids, possibly parked next to other cars that blindly open doors and ding the hell out of it or new drivers from out of state and possibly foreign exchange students here in the US with new licenses. That's how it was when I was at ASU anyways, but I'm not sure what college yours will be going off to.

Either way, that car will be a perfect roadtrip car to pile 3 friends into in lavish comfort, or the occasional away football/basketball/xxxsport game.
Old 06-21-19, 04:00 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I cringe at the fact that this pristine low mileage car will be used by a college kid. I'm not knocking your kid, just the environment it may be around with other irresponsible kids, possibly parked next to other cars that blindly open doors and ding the hell out of it or new drivers from out of state and possibly foreign exchange students here in the US with new licenses. That's how it was when I was at ASU anyways, but I'm not sure what college yours will be going off to.

Either way, that car will be a perfect roadtrip car to pile 3 friends into in lavish comfort, or the occasional away football/basketball/xxxsport game.

Mine has 78k. My Brother described her clean looks as a sculpted vintage Tiffany revolver. I think of "Cloud 9" that way. I hope to see her to 400k. You can too

You have one of the finest vehicles ever made on this planet, engineered & built to reward people who had worked hard all their lives. You may miss a grand opportunity to bond with this legend. You found a rocket to the moon looking for a hyundai.

Last edited by Hobycat; 06-21-19 at 04:03 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Hobycat:
Fit1too (06-21-19), spuds (06-21-19)

Quick Reply: Just Bought a '99 LS400 with 48K Miles