LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 LS400 Ground Up Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 10:09 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Hi Jeik, by the time I got to your age I started the Toyota Cressida forum and did an auto-manual swap on my Cressida even before learning how to drive stick. Don't brag on your age before doing something cool first
I did not mean to brag about my age, my apologies if it came off this way as it was not my intention. I am just trying to give myself a time stamp as this is a log for me to see how my car changes over time and also a way to get feedback on my build as it is my first one. My apologies if it came off as arrogant and in a bragging manner.
Old 08-14-19, 04:08 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeik
I did not mean to brag about my age, my apologies if it came off this way as it was not my intention. I am just trying to give myself a time stamp as this is a log for me to see how my car changes over time and also a way to get feedback on my build as it is my first one. My apologies if it came off as arrogant and in a bragging manner.
I was just ribbing you bud! Don't apologize at all. Congratulations on your car and I hope that you learn a lot by wrenching on it. That's how it worked for me... I ended up with a mechanical engineering degree because of the passion I developed for cars at a young age.
Old 08-14-19, 01:56 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdls
I was just ribbing you bud! Don't apologize at all. Congratulations on your car and I hope that you learn a lot by wrenching on it. That's how it worked for me... I ended up with a mechanical engineering degree because of the passion I developed for cars at a young age.
Oh aight lol. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't coming off as a complete douchebag. Dang, mechanical engineering degree, that's hella cool. I'm just trying to get to college lol.
Old 08-24-19, 09:34 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Installed a new door handle that I got from the junkyard. I also got new brake pads all around and new rotors for the front the pads had about 10% left and the front rotors had about 20% left. The previous owner had already done the rear rotors so they had about 80% left. The new brakes make a huge difference and I can feel the stoppage is way better. I didn't get braided brake lines because I am kind of short on cash but does anyone think they are necessary?

The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (08-25-19)
Old 08-25-19, 07:56 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

No,you dont need braided lines.
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (08-25-19)
Old 08-25-19, 08:34 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 285 Likes on 222 Posts

Nice updates! These door handles seem to fail from being pulled on too hard, especially in the winter for those in northern climates, when ice forms on them. The replacement you got is starting to show signs of wear (crooked resting position).

Here is a post by Dicer, showing how he reinforced his to prevent it from breaking:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9562994

Also, I am in agreement with spuds. No need for the braided brake lines. They are nice, yes, but the standard rubber ones will do just fine. They are much better than having the originals on after years of age.
Old 08-25-19, 10:18 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Great progress and thanks for posting the updates! No need to spend any more $ than you need to, that way you will have more $ to buy the things you want or to address things that come up. I applaud your decision to do the brakes. My dad always said he rather have a car not start and/or move, than one that won't stop!
Old 08-25-19, 09:25 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Nice updates! These door handles seem to fail from being pulled on too hard, especially in the winter for those in northern climates, when ice forms on them. The replacement you got is starting to show signs of wear (crooked resting position).

Here is a post by Dicer, showing how he reinforced his to prevent it from breaking:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9562994

Also, I am in agreement with spuds. No need for the braided brake lines. They are nice, yes, but the standard rubber ones will do just fine. They are much better than having the originals on after years of age.
Yea, the door handles seem to break a lot. I went to the junkyard to get the door handle and out of the 6 cars that were 90-94, only one had a working driver's side door handle. Thanks for the thread on reinforcing the door handle, might have to try it.
Old 08-30-19, 09:37 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Got some new rims and tires for the car. 19 inch rims on 245/35 tires in the front and the back. Next step is suspension because my rack and pinion is leaking bad and the outer tie rods are bad. Also have some coilovers coming in soon.

Old 08-30-19, 09:58 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Also I got some new seats from the junkyard. These were the best seats I could find at the junkyard. All of the seats from all of the other cars were ripped just like the seats that I already had in the car. And as you can see I painted the carpet black so that you can no longer see the stains. I just used a rattle can spray paint for carpet. I know the four tone is kind of outdated nowadays but I feel I can bring it back. I eventually want to get an all black interior. What do you people think of the black carpet and the gray seats?

Old 08-31-19, 05:14 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 285 Likes on 222 Posts

Nice updates. Those replacement seats look very good! You can save the tan trim pieces off your old seats, if you ever decide to replace the grey parts.

I like the black 3rd tone theme you have going on.
Old 08-31-19, 06:29 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks great man. Carpet looks really good to me, does it not smell like paint though?
Old 08-31-19, 07:40 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks better and better. Car manufacturers are using all kinds of color schemes these days, so you’re just keeping up with the times. You inspire and encourage me—you really do! This forum in particular is unique in its approach to actually help and encourage other members. I like it, I love it, I want some more of it… Uh oh, my wife and I are putting on a 3-day Intensive/Seminar in San Antonio, Texas this weekend and they are playing country music on the overhead speakers throughout the hotel! Got country music stuck in my head.
Old 09-01-19, 03:58 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Looks great man. Carpet looks really good to me, does it not smell like paint though?
It did smell pretty not great for a while, but i always drive with the windows down because my a/c doesn't work and it has been really hot lately so it doesn't really smell that bad now. I just did two layers of paint over everywhere.
Old 09-01-19, 04:03 PM
Jeik
Rookie

I saw someone put fake grass in the trunk which I thought was really cool to see someone do something cool with the trunk. So I looked up if people had done it with any other materials and I was really drawn to the hardwood trunk. So I decided to try it out, it was like 45 bucks for all the wood. I honestly am pretty happy with the way that it turned out. What do you people think?

Quick Reply: 1992 LS400 Ground Up Build