LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What Would You Pay for a '98 LS400 With Under 50k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 10:35 PM
andlours
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Would You Pay for a '98 LS400 With Under 50k?

I'm currently on the hunt for a good condition LS400. Here in Denver there aren't a ton of options, but I've found that the LS400s here usually fall into two camps: High mileage and pretty beat up or extremely low mileage one owner cars. All that to say, what would you guys pay for a single owner, dealer maintained, '98 LS400 with under 50,000 miles? I know KBB is a general guide, but does it still apply for a low mileage vehicle like this?
Old 04-30-19, 10:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i probably wouldn't get it at all, i'd want one with at least 100k to guarantee that it's seen somewhat regular usage and hasn't just sat around for lengthy periods

you can't really say this for most cars, but the odometer number literally doesn't matter with these cars providing maintenance has always been done, i drove a 980,000 mile 1996 LS and it still felt luxurious and very quiet
Old 05-01-19, 12:43 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i probably wouldn't get it at all, i'd want one with at least 100k to guarantee that it's seen somewhat regular usage and hasn't just sat around for lengthy periods

you can't really say this for most cars, but the odometer number literally doesn't matter with these cars providing maintenance has always been done, i drove a 980,000 mile 1996 LS and it still felt luxurious and very quiet
Is Colorado a rust prone state? I personally wouldn't pay much at this age I'd prefer a well maintained one with over 200k
Old 05-01-19, 01:26 AM
andlours
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colorado can be pretty bad for rust, but it isn't anything compared to some places in the midwest. I haven't seen too many rusted out LSs here. I'm just struggling to find one that has a good service history with higher mileage. The hunt continues.
Old 05-01-19, 06:51 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

i wouldnt go anywhere near it. its far worse to have an old car with very low miles then high miles and its never for a good reason. it means one of three things usually.

1. it sat idle at some point for a very long time, causing all the seals and rubber bits to go

2. it was only driven locally in street traffic and never really opened up. street traffic is much harder on a car then highway miles and causes carbon buildup and clogged cats if its never been able to stretch its legs.

3. it is a lemon and spent alot of time in the shop.

DONT DO IT.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stereorob:
dlcoffin (05-03-19), Giorgio13 (05-02-19)
Old 05-01-19, 08:37 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stereorob
i wouldnt go anywhere near it. its far worse to have an old car with very low miles then high miles and its never for a good reason. it means one of three things usually.

1. it sat idle at some point for a very long time, causing all the seals and rubber bits to go

2. it was only driven locally in street traffic and never really opened up. street traffic is much harder on a car then highway miles and causes carbon buildup and clogged cats if its never been able to stretch its legs.

3. it is a lemon and spent alot of time in the shop.

DONT DO IT.
There also is this

1997 Lexus LS400 97k$2,400Philadelphia, PASelling moms 1997 LS400. She’s owned the car a few years now, elderly owned for its first 91,000 miles. Timing belt/water pump done. Car now has 97,000 original miles. Has developed a misfire, I believe it is due to the downstream o2 sensor. Runs and drives, just rough. Still love the car honestly. I’ve attached all the pictures I can find in my 5,000 pics in my phone. Paint is FADING, looks better in some pictures since it was wet. Interior was originally tan, but brittle and cracking. I bought a donor and swapped most of it into the car (not the dash, carpet, headliner) New OEM mats for whatever that’s worth. Everything operates as it should. Car is complete and comes with extra interior odds and ends. Located in the Philadelphia suburbs. As-Is $2,400. Don’t try BS offers, it won’t work.
Old 05-01-19, 03:15 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by andlours
Colorado can be pretty bad for rust, but it isn't anything compared to some places in the midwest. I haven't seen too many rusted out LSs here. I'm just struggling to find one that has a good service history with higher mileage. The hunt continues.
Yea I wouldnt do it
Old 05-01-19, 05:59 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
There also is this

1997 Lexus LS400 97k$2,400Philadelphia, PASelling moms 1997 LS400. She’s owned the car a few years now, elderly owned for its first 91,000 miles. Timing belt/water pump done. Car now has 97,000 original miles. Has developed a misfire, I believe it is due to the downstream o2 sensor. Runs and drives, just rough. Still love the car honestly. I’ve attached all the pictures I can find in my 5,000 pics in my phone. Paint is FADING, looks better in some pictures since it was wet. Interior was originally tan, but brittle and cracking. I bought a donor and swapped most of it into the car (not the dash, carpet, headliner) New OEM mats for whatever that’s worth. Everything operates as it should. Car is complete and comes with extra interior odds and ends. Located in the Philadelphia suburbs. As-Is $2,400. Don’t try BS offers, it won’t work.
Nope.Dont buy someone elses problems,a gem WILL show up,keep looking.
Old 05-01-19, 06:02 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by spuds
Nope.Dont buy someone elses problems,a gem WILL show up,keep looking.
Im not, but won't be looking at 95 to 00, only 90 to 94
Old 05-01-19, 07:43 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by andlours
I'm currently on the hunt for a good condition LS400. Here in Denver there aren't a ton of options, but I've found that the LS400s here usually fall into two camps: High mileage and pretty beat up or extremely low mileage one owner cars. All that to say, what would you guys pay for a single owner, dealer maintained, '98 LS400 with under 50,000 miles? I know KBB is a general guide, but does it still apply for a low mileage vehicle like this?
In March 2017, I bought a 57,000 mile 1991 LS400 for $7,100.00 *including the airfare from Pensacola to Salt Lake City*, and drove it across the country the next day.
It is now May 2019, and it has 78,000 miles with 0 mechanical repairs. I love this car.
I was NOT worried about everything being wrecked from sitting because everything was so clean that there were no acid or sludge attack agents in the oil or trans or brake fluid reservoir, everything was clean and supple, and I STILL have not one single leak anywhere.

If it is less than 50,000 miles, your chances for amazing go up. If it has 80-100,000 miles on the other hand, then sitting can damage seals from contaminants precipitating out of suspension.

I say go for it. What if you DO have to replace some seals, you at least have immaculate carpet and wood and leather and fresh parts like door latches and ashtray catches and of course, that amazing engine and transmission, I say go for it.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic; 05-01-19 at 08:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Giorgio13 (05-02-19)
Old 05-02-19, 03:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I find the idea that somebody would *avoid* a car with only 50k miles silly. The question is how much of a premium, if any, would you give a car with 50k miles over a car with 100k miles...but to say "I don't want that one with only 50k miles" doesn't make any sense.
The following users liked this post:
Giorgio13 (05-02-19)
Old 05-02-19, 04:22 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Amskeptic, your car! I drool.

Dec. 2017 I paid $7,300,00 for a 73k mile "99" life garaged full maintenance records . Every other one around here within a year of looking was whipped. Did I overpay? To some maybe.

Last year south of me 70 miles away craigslist showed a newly listed on sat, morning 2000 LS garaged 50,000 miles for $5500.00, it was beautiful.I almost jumped and I mean got in the car
now and headed that way....didn't. By the afternoon post was down.

As we know this is an extraordinary vehicle, mine was garaged, "0" sun damage, looks new. I believe there is a lot of value in a sensibly driven, well taken care of garaged vehicle.

I would pay seven grand again. IMO the one you're looking at $6500-7, if garaged. If you get it for less, thumbs up!

Last edited by Hobycat; 05-02-19 at 04:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-19, 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I don't think you overpaid.
Old 05-02-19, 06:30 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
In March 2017, I bought a 57,000 mile 1991 LS400 for $7,100.00 *including the airfare from Pensacola to Salt Lake City*, and drove it across the country the next day.
It is now May 2019, and it has 78,000 miles with 0 mechanical repairs. I love this car.
I was NOT worried about everything being wrecked from sitting because everything was so clean that there were no acid or sludge attack agents in the oil or trans or brake fluid reservoir, everything was clean and supple, and I STILL have not one single leak anywhere.

If it is less than 50,000 miles, your chances for amazing go up. If it has 80-100,000 miles on the other hand, then sitting can damage seals from contaminants precipitating out of suspension.

I say go for it. What if you DO have to replace some seals, you at least have immaculate carpet and wood and leather and fresh parts like door latches and ashtray catches and of course, that amazing engine and transmission, I say go for it.
Colin

you got lucky.

furthermore, im green with envy every time i see your car. not only is it a pristine early car with factory chrome turbine wheels, its also the rare doo doo brown which is absolutely beautiful. even has the matching doo doo brown interior which ive only seen a handful of examples of.

did you pay a premium for it? yes obviously but it was worth it. you may have the cleanest early ucf10, in the country.
Old 05-02-19, 11:02 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I find the idea that somebody would *avoid* a car with only 50k miles silly. The question is how much of a premium, if any, would you give a car with 50k miles over a car with 100k miles...but to say "I don't want that one with only 50k miles" doesn't make any sense.
I totally agree. I've been mostly agreeing with this "kid" on Lexus forums for about 16 years.

I've seen many nice "only driven by little old ladies to church on Sundays" cars over the years. I bought one in 1971 when I needed an extra car for a few months - a one-owner, always garaged, 1950 Pontiac Chieftain that had been driven less than 10,000 miles over 21 years. IIRC, I paid $150 for it. The car was like new ... ran and drove great. The lighted hood ornament was cool.

Low mileage cars may have been driven by older people. My retired wife probably won't drive her car 2,000 miles this year. I'm driving far less since I retired four months ago. We probably won't be racking up miles on long retirement road trips since we usually fly and rent cars. I know many people who have cars that are driven less, and in some cases, far less than a few thousand miles per year. A neighbor has two Italian cars he drives occasionally when the weather is nice - then he changes the engine oil. Another neighbor drove his Mercedes convertible only in summer. Another neighbor drove her Jaguar convertible only in summer. My next door neighbor's Porsche convertible was a "garage queen" - mainly driven to Porsche Club events. (I'm using the past tense for the Mercedes, Jaguar and Porsche owners since all are recently deceased.)

There's no reason to avoid a car simply because it has a lot fewer than average miles on the odometer. It might have been owned someone who simply didn't need or want to drive much.

Quick Reply: What Would You Pay for a '98 LS400 With Under 50k?