LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The 200,000 mile LS400 should I buy question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 11:54 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
I am passing on the car here is the ad if anyone is in Phx and is looking for a car. They will take $3,500 but its listed higher (well that is what I agreed on but it probably changed).

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...870598287.html
If it checks out mechanically, that is a good price. UFC20 so you get all the nice upgrades they did towards the end of the LS400.

The unfixable things (aesthetic interior exterior condition) look really good. That interior is mint and that Leather has obviously been cared for. And if it's been an AZ car rust shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-22-19, 09:44 AM
jrk1956
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 212K mile '98 has been a great car, have had it for 8 months. Timing belt and water pump done before I bought it. Paid $2200. No rust underneath, was a Louisiana car. (I'm in MI). Was a joy to work underneath a rust free chassis. Needed fuel, air and cabin filters replaced, strut rods and tie rods. Mine needed a "Y" pipe also. I found an aftermarket pipe on Ebay for under $200.
Like always here, IF the car has been maintained.......and sounds like it has been
Old 04-22-19, 09:43 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So in the end I ended up buying the car. I thought they had scratched me off the list to buy the car but there was a misunderstanding. Great car even had recent service at the Lexus dealership. Turned out to be a lot nicer of a car than expected. Have to clean up the engine bay to see if the valve covers are leaking or not. May need a few small things but its in amazing condition was very surprised drove home without a hitch.

Old 04-22-19, 10:41 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

DO NOT pressure wash the engine! Congrats on your find. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (04-23-19)
Old 04-22-19, 10:49 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

I wouldnt put any running water on that engine.Too many horror stories.Lexus engine...water is kryptonite!

Did you pay the full asking price? Congrats and good wishes sent your way!
Old 04-23-19, 08:19 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spuds
I wouldnt put any running water on that engine.Too many horror stories.Lexus engine...water is kryptonite!

Did you pay the full asking price? Congrats and good wishes sent your way!
No I had negotiated a decent deal.

what

What do you mean? Like power wash?

Last edited by LexusNAZ; 04-23-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 08:34 AM
spuds
Racer

Never never power wash this engine,it gets into electronics and you have serious issues.Wash threads are immediately followed up with my engine doesnt run now.

I think ive seen threads with low power water rinses and issues too.Also seen "I covered all my electronics, washed and it doesnt run ".All these old connectors and water is really bad news.

Finally seen threads of I sprayed on a cleaner and wiped off and that seems to be doable.

Hope more folks chime in what theve done for you.They may have some tips for cleaning.

For absolute sure never ever power wash this motor.

Last edited by spuds; 04-23-19 at 08:37 AM.
Fit1too (04-23-19)
Old 04-23-19, 09:42 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Never never power wash this engine,it gets into electronics and you have serious issues.Wash threads are immediately followed up with my engine doesnt run now.

I think ive seen threads with low power water rinses and issues too.Also seen "I covered all my electronics, washed and it doesnt run ".All these old connectors and water is really bad news.

Finally seen threads of I sprayed on a cleaner and wiped off and that seems to be doable.

Hope more folks chime in what theve done for you.They may have some tips for cleaning.

For absolute sure never ever power wash this motor.
Sage advise! The previous owners were dealer people and had the valve cover gaskets done before I purchased mine, so the engine was oil free. However, being 20 years old, it had a lot of dirt in the engine bay. I took the main cover off and the big black air intake while inspecting everything and this gave me more room to clean everything up and look for split vacuum lines, throttle body condition, etc. I fixed a bucket of soapy water (with Ivory dish liquid) and wiped things off as I went along. I use old terry cloth wash clothes and wring them out well. Some areas on the underside of the hood itself and the fender wells seemed to have had an oil residue on them and for that I used Goo Gone (NOT GOOF OFF) on a separate dry cloth, then followed up with the soapy cloth. I did a little throughout the day for days on end. I quit smoking when I purchased mine (10 months now) so instead of going outside to smoke, I go out and tinker with the Lexus. During the times when I couldn't get my Lexus fix, I researched this model here on the website and saved all the important links and info that I found and put it on a flash drive. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. You can make the engine bay look great, but you cannot pour (or spray) water over the engine and electronics. If the valve cover gaskets are leaking badly you will have to use rags soaked with a little mineral spirits and wipe the engine down and follow with dry rags or paper towels. Aggravating, time consuming, but doable. A lot of what is left will burn off as you drive the car.
Old 04-23-19, 09:51 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

I need to check but it looks like the valve cover gaskets are leaking
Old 04-23-19, 11:42 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
I need to check but it looks like the valve cover gaskets are leaking
Hah! Read threads on that too.Some lucky folks just had to tighten bolts and that fixed it,apparently they tend to loosen.

What are they,is it xxxxx torque or something equally small.I see the correct answer is 53 INCH-lbf = 4.4 ft-lbf'
Thank you bradland.

Last edited by spuds; 04-23-19 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 12:35 PM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 693 Likes on 567 Posts

Hah! Read threads on that too.Some lucky folks just had to tighten bolts and that fixed it,apparently they tend to loosen.

What are they,is it 14 foot/lbs torque or something equally small.
Sage advice Spuds, the torque spec is actually much lower...
53 INCH-lbf = 4.4 ft-lbf
spuds (04-23-19)
Old 04-23-19, 06:10 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Sage advice Spuds, the torque spec is actually much lower...
53 INCH-lbf = 4.4 ft-lbf
thanks for correcting it,much appreciated. Let me fix my post too.
Old 04-23-19, 07:20 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Ended up cleaning the car up a bit with headlight restoration. I also did my two part leather cleaning process on the interior. The carpet and Seatbelts cleaned up with some hot water and woolight.

jtparkes (05-12-19)
Old 04-23-19, 07:26 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Those seats look great and the headlights too! A can of Spot Shot will make those floor mats look like new as well: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spot-Shot...16-OZ/26814824
spuds (04-24-19)
Old 04-24-19, 11:35 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Other than financial considerations I'd look for a 430. Be the one putting miles on it. I just picked up a 430 and I can see myself in it for 8-10 years.

Quick Reply: The 200,000 mile LS400 should I buy question