LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Cranking but not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 07:25 PM
bradland

Received 650 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by python
fuel or spark..have to figure which it is
Add signal to this list.
Just one example to illustrate the point, if the crankshaft positon sensor isn't plugged in the motor will not start...
Old 03-04-19, 05:46 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

that signals spark correct?
Old 03-04-19, 01:58 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fuel pump as it could very well be the root cause of the problem. These cars are 19+ years old so if the fuel pump is still original & yours has high mileages then your pump could be working intermittently as it's on its last leg. Of all my 40+ years of driving, I have had 3 fuel pumps that went out on me w/ 1 of it being on a 97 Lexus LS400 at 220K miles. My symptom was exactly like yours & I was able to troubleshoot & narrowed it down to a dying fuel pump by using a dummy load (a light bulb) to simulate the pump to test out the fuel pump's relay & its control signal.

Sherl- Your thinking about the fuel pump not priming is incorrect as a working fuel pump will be activated to pressurize the fuel delivery system for a few seconds only when the key is turned to the ON position. Here's how it works: The pump is powered by a 12V hi-current via the fuel pump's relay & when the relay is energized by a control signal to provide the 12V to the pump when it should be. If you place a voltmeter right at the fuel pump then turn the key to the ON position, 12V will be present but it'll go away after a few second unless you keep on cranking and/or the car is running. This is by design to keep the pump from burning up when no fuel is being pumped/circulated.
Old 03-04-19, 02:11 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfast1
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fuel pump as it could very well be the root cause of the problem. These cars are 19+ years old so if the fuel pump is still original & yours has high mileages then your pump could be working intermittently as it's on its last leg. Of all my 40+ years of driving, I have had 3 fuel pumps that went out on me w/ 1 of it being on a 97 Lexus LS400 at 220K miles. My symptom was exactly like yours & I was able to troubleshoot & narrowed it down to a dying fuel pump by using a dummy load (a light bulb) to simulate the pump to test out the fuel pump's relay & its control signal.

Sherl- Your thinking about the fuel pump not priming is incorrect as a working fuel pump will be activated to pressurize the fuel delivery system for a few seconds only when the key is turned to the ON position. Here's how it works: The pump is powered by a 12V hi-current via the fuel pump's relay & when the relay is energized by a control signal to provide the 12V to the pump when it should be. If you place a voltmeter right at the fuel pump then turn the key to the ON position, 12V will be present but it'll go away after a few second unless you keep on cranking and/or the car is running. This is by design to keep the pump from burning up when no fuel is being pumped/circulated.

Any DIY for fuel pump replacement?
Old 03-04-19, 02:25 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

For the LS400, the fuel pump is located right behind the backseat. It's fairly simple to remove/replace once the backseat is removed. There's a big round hole right in the middle of it. You'll need to remove the round cover before you can get access to the pump. Since I'm familiar w/ the process, I didn't read up on any but there s/b plenty of "How To" procedures available on the net. Just surf the net then you'll find a few. Make sure to test it out first before you condemn & replace it though. Good luck.
Old 03-04-19, 02:59 PM
Sherl
Advanced

For the LS400, the fuel pump is located right behind the backseat. It's fairly simple to remove/replace once the backseat is removed. There's a big round hole right in the middle of it. You'll need to remove the round cover before you can get access to the pump. Since I'm familiar w/ the process, I didn't read up on any but there s/b plenty of "How To" procedures available on the net. Just surf the net then you'll find a few. Make sure to test it out first before you condemn & replace it though. Good luck.

Where did you get your pump though? Part number?
Old 03-05-19, 05:40 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

wow..dont start throwing parts at it..i rarely sell pumps for toyotas..and i mean very rarely.
Old 03-07-19, 09:26 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm with python.... friend had a 96, we guessed (finally) fuel pump.. didnt work... never ran again
Old 03-07-19, 09:50 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I'm with python.... friend had a 96, we guessed (finally) fuel pump.. didnt work... never ran again
What was broken then?