LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lost 1997 LS400 Transponder Key- replacement solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 05:37 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Lost 1997 LS400 Transponder Key- replacement solution

Thought Id post a PSA for any 1997 LS400 owners; I recently lost my only set of keys for my LS (Foolish of my to not have a spare, I know). After having several locksmiths fall through I resorted to my local Lexus dealership, who ALSO could NOT make a new transponder key for my car. Being produced in 02/1997 it has a separate non-programmable ECU Immobilizer for the key system, unlike any other model year of LS400. The dealerships master tech said perhaps replacing the immobilizer, to the tune of $500 + an hours labor, would make it so they could program a key. And that was just a "maybe". I ended up finding a company in Washington, EZCarkeys, and spoke to someone who knew about this specific issue. I've had to send them passenger door lock cylinder and the ecu immobilizer in the hopes they can actually program a SET of keys for it. Fingers crossed that they come back in the mail next and work.
So if you only have 1 working key or your LS, get a replacement made NOW, especially if yours is a 1997. It's far cheaper and much less of a headache. And you wont have to disassemble your glovebox and passenger door....

Last edited by RA40; 09-27-18 at 12:48 AM. Reason: title adjustment
The following 2 users liked this post by Bylan:
JonnyO78 (04-02-19), spuds (09-22-18)
Old 09-21-18, 06:44 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

They can CUT you a key,but you cannot PROGRAM that key to your car without a master key.And if you have a valet key you also cant program another key,has to be a master.

If that immobilizer hack works youve hit a homerun for you and all of us,fingers crossed.Is this what they are going to do in link below?

HOWEVER,if you are the slickest electronics tech in the world you can hack the ecu,but you need a lot of skill and knowledge.Here's how its done.

Last edited by spuds; 09-21-18 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 07:08 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Fingers crossed indeed. Im not exactly positive what this company figured out that dealerships haven't, but I know its a small legitimate business and the owner started it ~8 years ago after someone lost the keys to their 1997 LS400 and had the very same issue I have. I believe they're just going to spoof a new master key with the codes stored in the immobilizer, but thats just my understanding of it. Ill definitely update when I get the keys in the mail and I'll try to get some info from the business.
Old 09-21-18, 07:10 PM
spuds
Racer

Ive even said a prayer for you,this could be BIG! Whats the cost if I may ask?Also take pics of parts and installation for future references if you can.

A link to the outfit Bylan mentions

https://www.ezcarkeys.com/Immobilize...ramming_c2.htm

Last edited by spuds; 09-21-18 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 09:15 PM
spuds
Racer

Also this link shows how to do the reflash on the ecu

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ped-ecu-3.html
Old 09-26-18, 08:06 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

UPDATE! My ECU immobilizer and passenger door lock cylinder, in addition to 2 cut keys, arrived in the mail today. They do actually work! After 2 weeks of dismantling my interior, calling multiple locksmiths, and making some friends at Naperville Lexus (they were super helpful even though they had no solutions lol) EZCarKeys in Washington was able to cut and program 2 keys for my 1997 LS400.
I cannot believe the circus this involved. The Service cost $263 for 2 cut and programmed keys, and because they are out of the shop this week (9/24-9/28) I had to 2-day ship them to get them there before the weekend, a cost of $76 with insurance on it ($999 because if that immobilizer gets lost the cars a brick). Also they return ship USPS which is just the worst shipping service I've ever dealt with, but my boat is back on the road!
https://ezcarkeys.com/main.sc
The following 2 users liked this post by Bylan:
EZCarKeys (10-22-18), spuds (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 10:08 PM
spuds
Racer

WELL DONE BYLAN,CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Bylan this is fantastic.

Need to change thread title for searches tho,like "Keys lost.ECU read,2 new keys,total 263.00"
Thats all i have to add,youve made a huge discovery here.

I say THANK YOU for all the folks you have helped here!
Old 10-22-18, 07:52 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the review Bylan. I'm happy we were able to get you back on the road.

I agree, USPS is not the best solution, but because UPS and FedEx will not pickup at our shop, and the closest drop off is 20 miles away, we're kinda forced to use them. We are working on a solution for this that we hope will change things in the future.
Old 10-22-18, 01:03 PM
spuds
Racer

EZ,if we sent you just a transponder key that worked,could you make us a programmed clone and what would that cost? Can you clone programmed masters and valet types,if any?
Thank you so much.

Last edited by spuds; 10-22-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 03:16 PM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spuds
EZ,if we sent you just a transponder key that worked,could you make us a programmed clone and what would that cost? Can you clone programmed masters and valet types,if any?
Thank you so much.
Many locksmiths across the country can do that. But remember, a clone of a valet is still a valet.

I'm not here to tout my horn, as I'm not a vendor on these forums . . . yet. I'm just providing general knowledge.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 03:32 PM
spuds
Racer

That is,a clone can be made without having the car available to program it? Thats a big deal for folks who have 1 valet key and nothing else,to have that spare when only key is lost.

Its well understood at least to us members you arent trying to bypass the marketplace but instead giving us the extremely valuable information to protect us from the LS400 key problems of making new keys without a working master to use on vehicle.

Speaking for me,I cant /dont speak for the forum.I cant stress enough how desperate the knowledge and solutions to the key issue is to us and i thank you BIG TIME for coming on as an EXPERT and engaging us in dialogue!
Old 10-22-18, 04:59 PM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spuds
That is,a clone can be made without having the car available to program it? Thats a big deal for folks who have 1 valet key and nothing else,to have that spare when only key is lost.

Its well understood at least to us members you arent trying to bypass the marketplace but instead giving us the extremely valuable information to protect us from the LS400 key problems of making new keys without a working master to use on vehicle.

Speaking for me,I cant /dont speak for the forum.I cant stress enough how desperate the knowledge and solutions to the key issue is to us and i thank you BIG TIME for coming on as an EXPERT and engaging us in dialogue!
A valet transponder chip can be cloned. A valet key blade can be read to convert to a master. In other words, It's possible to have a valet chip and a master blade. The remote is a different story though.
Old 10-22-18, 05:09 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
A valet key blade can be read to convert to a master. In other words, It's possible to have a valet chip and a master blade. The remote is a different story though.
Yes,I get the blade part,in fact I have just that...my question is the new valet key transponder,can it be programmed at a key shop without the vehicle,programmed off the car? Or am i misreading something?
Old 10-22-18, 05:22 PM
spuds
Racer

Im probably dull today....thats not all that uncommon....

I send you a working valet key,would you send me back a working valet key that will start car just like original?

Thanks for you patience.
Old 10-22-18, 05:28 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
A valet transponder chip can be cloned. A valet key blade can be read to convert to a master. In other words, It's possible to have a valet chip and a master blade. The remote is a different story though.
Im wondering what sort of key I have now then EZkeys. I sent you my ECU immobilizer and a door lock, are my keys programmed as valets or masters? I know the small security light below my tachometer never blinks to indicate what key I'm using, maybe the bulbs burned? And if my set of keys are just valet keys, will it be impossible for me to now program a keyless entry for to the car? Thanks for any info ez and other members, you guys are awesome.

Quick Reply: Lost 1997 LS400 Transponder Key- replacement solution