LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 LS400 Dual TPS issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 08:38 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 91 LS400 Dual TPS issues

I picked up a 91 LS400 recently, it was experiencing rough idle. After doing some research and pulling a code I figured it was the TPS sensor. Code 47
My car has the TRAC system so it has two tps sensors. After removing the trac tps the wiring broke directly at the start of the harness, covered in rust/dirt/whatever. Was not salvageable at all. So I went to 3 different wrecking yards and could not find a single car that had the dual tps set up. I pulled one of the connectors anyways but turns out the connectors are different.
So after shaving the sides off on my tps sensor, the connector fit, still the car will not start, all it does is click 5 or 6 times, sound is coming from the tps. I figure the wiring is most likely not correct. After trying to switch 2 wires around I accidentally touched the power to the engine, seeming to have shorted out something. Car only chimes with key in ignition and door open. When turning key to ON no dash lights, nothing comes on. I checked all the small fuses and they seem fine. I'm thinking it might be the circular engine main fuse.

Does someone know where I can buy the connector and engine main fuse?
Everywhere I look for the connector it's the wrong one.

I'm also not sure if I am installing the TPS sensors correctly. I removed both of them.
For the one on the right I pulled the throttle back so it turns the spindle thing and placed the tps on it and turned it clockwise till the bolts line up. I can feel the spindle pushing on the tps so in assuming its on there correctly.
For the one on the left I start the tps connector facing south east. Like in the 5th image here.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/tps.html
Also regarding this image I'm not sure how this person got the tps to start in the green outline then move it clockwise, because it hits the engine, I dont see it being possible.
Then turn it clockwise till the bolts line up.

Given the age of the wiring and sensor I'm assuming its OEM. Part # Toyota 89452-50010

Any other thoughts or input is also welcome. Thanks.

Edit:
Ok I was able to find the tps with the connector attached and wiring cut off on ebay. So I went ahead and bought that to fix my wiring issue. I'll visit the wrecking yard tomorrow for those bigger fuses. Still would appreciate input if anyone has any.

Last edited by crwys; 08-13-18 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 10:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 08-14-18, 08:56 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Will do, some small updates.
Doing some more thinking, I'm thinking the car not starting is not directly related to the Trac Tps wiring. I'm thinking if the wiring on the TPS was that degraded, surrounding wires are also and may have been damaged when I pulled on the sensor.
I was able to get power to the car again, dash was flickering for a few seconds and was hesitant to light up at first, operating the seat caused everything to die then turn back on again. But after that all seems fine.... for now. So I'm going to check the wiring and ground wire tomorrow, probably add another as well. Battery is only a month old and read 12.65 volts so that's not the problem.

USPS says ETA is Friday for my the Trac TPS and connector wiring. Once I get that I'll hook it all up and try starting the car again.

I attached 2 photos as well showing my problem with installing the TPS on the right. Circled in red is where it is hitting. I even removed a bolt off the intake to make a little bit more room but still no good. So what I have been doing is pulling back on the throttle to move the spindle so it will align correctly but I'm not sure if this is right or not....
The other photo is the tps on the left. That's where I start it then turn it clockwise till the bolts line up.

Also added a pretty nice passenger seat today from the wrecking yard, no rip or tears. But the connectors and wiring are all different even though the power seat buttons are the same.... so that will be fun to figure out.

Been working long hours this week, hopefully I'll be able to make more progress on the weekend.

Last edited by crwys; 08-14-18 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 12:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

The one on the right looks longer than the one on the left and is a different design. Are the part numbers the same? Try swapping them.
Old 08-15-18, 08:17 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Sha4000
Good eye you have there. It is indeed shorter, funny enough still not enough room, now hitting the rubber hose and metal hose circled in red. In the above picture.
I ended up having to remove 2 hoses, 1 bolt and loosening another bolt circled in the pictures below. The biggest nut that is hard to see in the 2nd pic will allow you to rotate the part, this will give you enough play to remove the bolt that is attaching the metal hose to the part. After doing this I didnt have a lot of play in the metal hose but it was just enough to push it down to allow me to mount the tps.
The part #'s are different, but they are interchangeable as explained below the 4th pic here.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/tps.html
I also discovered a broken hose clamp that wasn't holding pressure anymore, hoping this would fix my semi over heating problems but it didn't.

I was able to get the car started and it was indeed a bad ground. Idle is still a little choppy in park, bad in drive, but after moving the car seems fine. While driving throttle definitely responds better. And down shifts like its suppose to when under hard acceleration. Not counting my self out until I do a tune up and fix that other tps this weekend.

Current issues I need to address:
Rough idle
Wiring passenger seat to have power buttons operational
Banging in transmission. Code 63 OD. I read that you can soak solenoids in PB blaster to possibly fix this. If not I'll replace the solenoid, hopefully I won't need a new transmission.
Car temp is a little hot. If I give the car a little throttle it will drop a little to about above half. If I floor it the temp guage drops below half then back up after letting go of gas.
Radiator fans aren't working but clutch fan is. Previous owner had a hot and ground wire to turn it on. I'll be fixing this problem the correct way.

Old 08-16-18, 06:52 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

tps arrived early today, replacing it fixed my problem, no more check engine light. Also may be useful for some, you dont need to mount the tps starting south east for the throttle. Just pull back throttle to turn the spindle and mount it southwest, I have confirmed this works.
Now it you have the dual tps set up then you will want to mount the tps on the left first, by mounting it south east and turning it clockwise till the bolts align up. Then mount the tps on the right as explained above.
Will hopefully fix the transmission code this weekend and grab another seat from pick n pull.
Antilock and trac off light are still on, can't pull any codes from it yet, maybe I need to drive the car more.
Also still need to look into the other issues in my previous post...