LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Drove 900 miles! She made it like a champ!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 02:43 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Drove 900 miles! She made it like a champ!

Just moved for a new job. Drive from middle Tennessee to south Florida (900 miles) in 2 days in the old green machine. The tank made it! Gotta tell you though, almost 1K mile drive on coilovers and rims? Definitely don't want to do it again any time soon!

Old 08-01-18, 03:03 PM
miniqtone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yay for you!
Old 08-01-18, 05:21 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Of course you did.I wouldnt hesitate to take mine anywhere.
Old 08-01-18, 07:34 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

People drive like maniacs down here. And I thought Nashville was bad!
Old 08-02-18, 02:46 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeroy
People drive like maniacs down here. And I thought Nashville was bad!
Floridian here. Where did you move? I'm in Orlando.

Just came to say welcome to hell and yeah, the drivers here SUCK. It's either people not paying attention, old people going slow, or ricers cutting around you. I avoid accidents like once a damn week!
Old 08-02-18, 03:41 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

wow that must have been a rough drive on low profile tires and coilovers, but glad you made it.
I would have kept the spare handy and an actual jack in the trunk just in case of a tire pop. those highway expansion joints are no joke at high speeds (especially in a new state of unknown roads)!
Old 08-02-18, 05:45 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rokas
Floridian here. Where did you move? I'm in Orlando.

Just came to say welcome to hell and yeah, the drivers here SUCK. It's either people not paying attention, old people going slow, or ricers cutting around you. I avoid accidents like once a damn week!
I am in Miramar. Ricers like crazy.
Old 08-02-18, 05:52 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
wow that must have been a rough drive on low profile tires and coilovers, but glad you made it.
I would have kept the spare handy and an actual jack in the trunk just in case of a tire pop. those highway expansion joints are no joke at high speeds (especially in a new state of unknown roads)!
Funny thing about it, I was very worried about potholes and expansion joints in unknown areas, however, the worst spots were at the very beginning of my haul on I-24 in Murfreesboro TN. I knew that they had dug up parts of the interstate as they are slowly repaving it. I knew of 2 spots in particular (because I hit them 2 weeks earlier) where the pavement has what seems to be at least a 2" dropoff and ridge. Fortunately, they had the far right lane paved, so I was able to avoid those because I already knew about them. Once I got out of middle Tennessee, everything else was good for the rest of the drive. I had no room for a spare or jack because I packed a ton of stuff in the car. A big risk, but I made it. Stretched tires and all! Lol!
Old 08-02-18, 05:56 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

There are an incredible amount of Lexus IS F Sports down here and a Dunkin Donuts on every damn corner. Never seen so many in my life.
Old 08-03-18, 03:00 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Florida here as well. welcome! im in Orlando, same as Rokas.

also part of the Imperial Jade club. i just took mine to the coast last weekend. made it here and back no problem doing 120mph most of the way lol. your slammed car would not do well here in Orlando. the roads are absolute **** here and traffic is appalling. i lived in south Florida for years and know it well. WAY better there then here on your car. plus that where all those cherry examples are hiding that everyone wishes they had. old folks in broward county lol. you got good roads, less traffic, and oh, one more thing we dont have. -a beach.

had you driven down I-4 at any point in your trip down, your suspension would have been in pieces all over the road..

also, yes, the IS F-sport thing in south Florida is a thing. they are indeed everywhere. same here tho. Orlando is very much a Lexus town, however, it seems like every other damn other car on the road in south florida is a Lexus of some kind. i lived in west palm for a few years and it was the ONLY town ive spent time in, in recent memory, where LS400s are still very common in traffic. not so much here tho. its rare that i see them at all. i can drive for a week in heavy traffic and not cross paths with another LS400. i see our later ones, but the early ucf20s are a very rare site. and ucf10s? forget it! those are all gone.

what year is yours? mine are 1995 and 2000.

also, did you know the Lexus corp training office is in Miramar? its off Red rd. (i work for lexus and attend events and training seminars there sometimes)
Old 08-03-18, 04:40 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stereorob
Florida here as well. welcome! im in Orlando, same as Rokas.

also part of the Imperial Jade club. i just took mine to the coast last weekend. made it here and back no problem doing 120mph most of the way lol. your slammed car would not do well here in Orlando. the roads are absolute **** here and traffic is appalling. i lived in south Florida for years and know it well. WAY better there then here on your car. plus that where all those cherry examples are hiding that everyone wishes they had. old folks in broward county lol. you got good roads, less traffic, and oh, one more thing we dont have. -a beach.

had you driven down I-4 at any point in your trip down, your suspension would have been in pieces all over the road..

also, yes, the IS F-sport thing in south Florida is a thing. they are indeed everywhere. same here tho. Orlando is very much a Lexus town, however, it seems like every other damn other car on the road in south florida is a Lexus of some kind. i lived in west palm for a few years and it was the ONLY town ive spent time in, in recent memory, where LS400s are still very common in traffic. not so much here tho. its rare that i see them at all. i can drive for a week in heavy traffic and not cross paths with another LS400. i see our later ones, but the early ucf20s are a very rare site. and ucf10s? forget it! those are all gone.

what year is yours? mine are 1995 and 2000.

also, did you know the Lexus corp training office is in Miramar? its off Red rd. (i work for lexus and attend events and training seminars there sometimes)
Mine is a 2000. I pulled up beside a white 95 with Georgia plates in traffic earlier today close to Hallandale Beach.
Old 08-03-18, 04:47 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

And yeah, pleasantly surprised by the quality of the roads here. Pretty smooth sailing.
Old 08-04-18, 12:40 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

yep. south florida roads WAY better then central florida. got my 95 when i was still living down there and rode like a cloud. then i moved back to orlando (my hometown) after a ten year hiatus. my suspension was GONE in a matter of months. i miss the nice roads down there. however, west of orlando, clermont mt dora etc, have some great twisty hilly back roads to go bombing around on.
Old 08-04-18, 12:45 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Leeroy
Just moved for a new job. Drive from middle Tennessee to south Florida (900 miles) in 2 days in the old green machine. The tank made it! Gotta tell you though, almost 1K mile drive on coilovers and rims? Definitely don't want to do it again any time soon!

am i seeing things or do you have the factory "greenhouse" glass as i call it? i have bronze glass on mine
Old 08-04-18, 01:03 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stereorob
am i seeing things or do you have the factory "greenhouse" glass as i call it? i have bronze glass on mine
Yeah, it's kind of greenish I suppose. Speaking of glass, getting used to this sun down here, I think I'm gonna need to get one of those windshield shades for when I park. The sun is brutal here compared to Nashville. My skin has already gotten several shades darker in the week I've been here.

Quick Reply: Drove 900 miles! She made it like a champ!