LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Year and a half later, after trying so hard, I think I'm selling my 95

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 04:58 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Year and a half later, after trying so hard, I think I'm selling my 95

To buy a different LS400.

Some of you may know about my numerous problems with this car.

It was in a slow crash in a neighborhood before I bought it. The crash ruined the hood, AC condenser, radiator, radiator support, and headlights. However it ran fine but also needed a new PS pump and eventually an ACV delete because of a leak. I ended up replacing the alternator because the leak killed it right before I fixed the leak.

I did some other things in the meantime. Some sensors, some cleaning, new fluids, new brake pads and rotors, tires...

It ran good for probably 8 months or so until it developed a vacuum leak. This is where it all started going downhill.

Just to get it to be able to drive in traffic with the drastic loss of power, I did the spark plugs, wires, got a new MAF sensor. It was drivable until about two months ago when the vacuum leak got worse and now the car can't make it past 25mph.

The problem? Probably the intake manifold gasket.

Also needs a timing belt change. Did I mention the spark plugs were the original Denso ones? I changed them out at 220k miles!!

The REAL problem? I don't have a place to park it and work on it except StereoRob's house - a very gracious offer. However he lives over an hour away and my wife and I are living paycheck to paycheck.

I can get the car towed to his house and possibly take a long time messing around with it. Yeah, I think I can fix it myself but if something unexpected comes up then Rob has a car in his driveway with a torn apart engine.

Now, I can sell this car for $500 or so and literally, right NOW, with that money I can buy an LS400 with no body damage and no serious problems. I was telling Rob that it really hurt when I had to sell my AWD E30 - 1 of 1500 in the US. This doesn't feel like that.

The point of this post is that I want to hear what you people think. I love the damn car and I'm definitely getting another LS400 if I DO sell this one but man, it has put such a dirty taste in my mouth. Just this particular one.

I'm seriously thinking this car is a lemon. My pops said something that kinda rang true to me. He said "That car doesn't seem to be living up to its reputation as a reliable car." And I agree about this particular one.

So guys, please let me know if there's maybe an alternate route I could take.

One of the other problems I have is that I have a mental illness (a panic disorder) that is worsened by stress and this is stressing me out.
Old 06-24-18, 12:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I cannot recall some of the past discussions on this, has the ECU been checked? Yamae's ripple test:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-by-yamae.html
Old 06-24-18, 05:35 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

sometimes its better to cut your losses and start off with a fresh car. Even a UCF21 is pretty cheap now and wouldn't take much, maybe 2500-3000 to find a decent one.
Old 06-25-18, 05:48 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

You took on a pretty big project and actually did really well. You should be proud of your accomplishments. Given your condition, not sure I would have tackled the same. I too think you'd be better served to get a later model that has been taken care of and would not require so much time and attention. I believe this would prove more reliable in the long run. But be advised that these vehicles are getting older and as much as we love 'em. Time and age will continue to be a factor in their everyday maintenance. Good luck.
Old 06-25-18, 09:22 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
sometimes its better to cut your losses and start off with a fresh car. Even a UCF21 is pretty cheap now and wouldn't take much, maybe 2500-3000 to find a decent one.
What he said.You can find a darn nice one and at this point you dont need a bunch of headaches.
Old 06-25-18, 09:52 AM
GoldLex99
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take some time to find the vacuum leak. If your guess is correct and it's the intake manifold gasket you need to do a little research to see how hard / expensive it would be to fix. Depending on the location you might be able to patch the hole with some sealant. It's not a long term fix but it gets you up and running.

You've put a lot into the car and it is going to need more. With the original spark plugs still in place it's clear that regular maintenance was not done on this one. Between that and the timing belt I think your time with this one is limited, but it may not be over yet. If you can get it working again that will buy you enough time to find a well maintained example. With these cars maintenance is the key. If it's maintained they run hundreds of thousands of miles with stellar reliability. Maintenance is important on any car, but most won't hit the miles an LS400 reaches no matter how well maintained. If you get a well maintained example they can be wonderfully reliable which is actually cheaper in the long run than a less expensive car that breaks down more.

I don't think your car is cursed, or a lemon. It just hasn't had the maintenance it needs. If you can get it running then you have more time to find the next one. If it's running you'll get a bit more for it as well. I wouldn't spend a lot and I wouldn't plan to keep it long term. I recommend you pinpoint the leak. That will be the deciding factor in whether you sell it now or 6 months from now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
John
Old 06-25-18, 09:57 AM
spuds
Racer

[QUOTE=GoldLex99;10233617 find a well maintained example. With these cars maintenance is the key. If it's maintained they run hundreds of thousands of miles with stellar reliability. Maintenance is important on any car, but most won't hit the miles an LS400 reaches no matter how well maintained. If you get a well maintained example they can be wonderfully reliable which is actually cheaper in the long run than a less expensive car that breaks down more.John[/QUOTE]

That is so true.Wrecks only work if you are a good mechanic and can afford repairs,and more importantly down time.I have to buy cars that are capable of going cross country tomorrow.
Old 06-25-18, 10:55 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

go find a 1998, 1999, or 2000 LS400 with good history, and dont worry about it anymore..... just enjoy driving it around... SMILES !!
Old 06-25-18, 01:12 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

I agree with pretty much everything you guys said.

Even though I put a couple grand into it, I DID get a year and a half and more importantly, I learned a lot when it comes to working on cars and also became a die-hard LS400 fan.

I think I need a better maintained base. With what I know, I can keep that running forever.

Just turns out I found a nice old lady with a '96 that has 60k less miles than mine, only needs the timing belt done, and she wants a few hundred bucks... If everything goes well in a few hours, I may already be in a much nicer LS tonight... Wish me luck/pray.
Old 06-25-18, 02:26 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Rokas: I learned a lot when it comes to working on cars and also became a die-hard LS400 fan... love it...
I have owned 12 LS 400's , no other Lexus' we had 2 each (wife and I) most of the time, but now that I am 84 only this one...
Old 06-25-18, 06:17 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

None of you probably expected this but I just drove this beautiful 96 home.

Everything works. Every damn buttons. Ice cold AC. Dark tints all around. Needs a coil pack (I have a new one - has a small misfire) and timing belt (also have).

The frickin cluster lights work! The woodgrain panels on the inside are the same condition they were when they came out the factory

The seats aren't bad either. The back seat has no rips.

Now that I drove this one, I can really tell that my 95 IS a lemon. It has so many small things popping up. This 96 feels so much better built. My 95 is a rebuilt so that explains it.

I love it. I wanted a white Lexus. I am just overjoyed. I thought I was about to lose my LS400 and I end up getting one that has been well taken care of! Thank God. Finally. I deserve to drive one that drives right, damnit!

I'll post more when I can connect to a WiFi. The interior is great like I said.
Old 06-25-18, 06:19 PM
spuds
Racer

Good to hear.
Old 06-26-18, 02:18 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spuds
Good to hear.
Thanks. I didn't realize just how badly the 95 I have was put together. It's a rebuilt title and it shows.

Old 06-26-18, 08:38 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase and new lease on life. Now you really know what the rest of us enjoy in these cars. Welcome to the LS world (again).
Old 06-26-18, 10:12 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

well, like i said you are more then welcome to keep your old project car at my place as long as needed as long as it has a plate on it. hell, my own sick ailing 95 could use the company in my driveway lol. if you decide to junk it or part it lmk. its got some stuff i could really use for my own. also, even though its falling apart, and the new one you got is a way cleaner car, you are also have a new to you 20+ year old LS400 that you dont know yet. you know every inch of the old one, and it may sound crazy, but you will really regret getting rid of it someday, because it was your first one. nomatter how rough it is, as an LS400 guy, your first will always be special. well, thats how it worked for me atleast.

congrats on the new one tho! looks really decent. cant wait to see some interior shots! how many miles she got and how is she optioned?

Quick Reply: Year and a half later, after trying so hard, I think I'm selling my 95