LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 Lexus LS400 engine swap 2jz or Ls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 01:36 PM
gingeraf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Lexus LS400 engine swap 2jz or Ls?

hey Guys this summer I知 doing a big engine and trans engine swap in my Lexus. I知 still deciding if I want to keep a v8 and go for some big ls motor or just buy a 2jz gte (turbo duh) I really want to make it manual too if I知 going to go through all that work. Another big thing is I want to keep my nakamich sound system and ac. If you have any tips or advice or opinions or any knowledge let me know!! I would really appreciate it... and yes I will definitely be posting pictures soon! I知 taking the 1uzfe out any week now :3
Old 05-07-18, 02:43 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd go with a supercharger and keep that sweet 1UZ-FE. Even with moderate boost you should be able to get a nice increase in HP.
Old 05-07-18, 03:50 PM
gingeraf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peterls
I'd go with a supercharger and keep that sweet 1UZ-FE. Even with moderate boost you should be able to get a nice increase in HP.
it痴 hard to find superchargers for 1uzfe痴 that are even priced nicely at all. Even if you do find someone who makes them the wait is several months and they would have to ship it over seas. So that痴 why I want to go with a 2jz and ls they are cheaper and quicker. Also the 1uzfe its a lot harder to make more horse power without upgrading the engine and if you do upgrade it there are no speed parts for it besides some cams
Old 05-07-18, 09:50 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

You just live in the wrong country and have the wrong year 1uz. A couple of local guys are over 450 to the wheels on untouched 1st Gen engines and rear mount single turbos here in qld aus.

The OG fe can throw down serious power without being touched at all.

You are looking at a lot of dollars with either. If it was me I'd sell it and just buy a crown with a 1jz. Will save you dollars and hassles.

​​​Out of the ls and the 2j, the ls has a lot of support but it's really apples and oranges

​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 05-08-18, 07:06 AM
gingeraf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moarpower
You just live in the wrong country and have the wrong year 1uz. A couple of local guys are over 450 to the wheels on untouched 1st Gen engines and rear mount single turbos here in qld aus.

The OG fe can throw down serious power without being touched at all.

You are looking at a lot of dollars with either. If it was me I'd sell it and just buy a crown with a 1jz. Will save you dollars and hassles.

​​​Out of the ls and the 2j, the ls has a lot of support but it's really apples and oranges

​​​​​
​​​​​
well I may port and polish the motor I致e heard you can hope back up past 300 but I知 really looking for a show stopper like 600+ but that痴 a lot to ask for from a 1uz
Old 05-08-18, 07:45 AM
gingeraf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
You need a different car
the ls 400 is beautiful
Old 05-08-18, 08:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats on the pickup but you need to research a lot more. Swaps are neither simple nor cheap, and modifying your factory engine to 300+ rwhp is going to cost a good bit of change. In a car like the '98+ LS400s there are additional multiplex/body ecu concerns as well.

What have you driven before setting this lofty goal of 600+ rwhp, I mean no offense but your sound a bit green. Start off by reading up and do some base modifications. Before you start wanting to add power there's a lot to be done to the suspension, brakes, steering, tires, etc... That's a better place to start rather than thinking about swaps right off the bat.
Old 05-09-18, 06:31 AM
gingeraf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Congrats on the pickup but you need to research a lot more. Swaps are neither simple nor cheap, and modifying your factory engine to 300+ rwhp is going to cost a good bit of change. In a car like the '98+ LS400s there are additional multiplex/body ecu concerns as well.

What have you driven before setting this lofty goal of 600+ rwhp, I mean no offense but your sound a bit green. Start off by reading up and do some base modifications. Before you start wanting to add power there's a lot to be done to the suspension, brakes, steering, tires, etc... That's a better place to start rather than thinking about swaps right off the bat.
I was daily driving a mustang 5.0 I had to sell for rent money. I知 quite sure I can handle the power. But with regulars to suspension and other items only time will tell when the car is actually running
Old 05-09-18, 07:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by gingeraf

I was daily driving a mustang 5.0 I had to sell for rent money. I知 quite sure I can handle the power. But with regulars to suspension and other items only time will tell when the car is actually running
a foxbody mustang has about 80hp less than a vvti LS400, and is only a few hundred pounds lighter. Your ability to "handle the power" is not what I was talking about, rather what motivated your 600hp goal.
Old 05-09-18, 07:49 PM
gingeraf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
a foxbody mustang has about 80hp less than a vvti LS400, and is only a few hundred pounds lighter. Your ability to "handle the power" is not what I was talking about, rather what motivated your 600hp goal.
I don稚 mean to argue it wasn稚 a foxbody was actually a nice 2012 5.0 but yes the reason I want that much is for the heck off it really. I do some minor drag racing. I want to get into drifting. I want to build just a fun Lexus for playing around with and just to show off the LS400 as it痴 a cheap start for projects
Old 05-10-18, 04:27 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Cheap start with no aftermarket support in the USA
Old 05-10-18, 04:40 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Honestly , you should have just gotten a.pre 95 ls400. You could hit your 600 without too much effort.
​​​​​​
Old 05-10-18, 11:47 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

what's your budget?
we all want that 600hp number but the reality is money IS a factor in almost every circumstance.

as PD stated, these cars aren't as easily modified than older cars, especially with lots of engine/powertrain mods in sight.
converting to manual has enough hurdles on its own!
Old 05-10-18, 04:57 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitabel
hit your 600 without too much effort

More than doubling the original HP?
All it takes:
remove engine components
replace engine components
add turbo, supercharger, and/or nitrous

Then you can start on the transmission...

So easy!
This is the reason for the lack of support. I'm glad I live in the southern hemisphere where these motors are so popular to mod.

Trans swap is 4k aud. I'd rather fave a single turbo kit for a stock uz than swap any day.

Stock uz can handle quite a bit of boost

Last edited by Moarpower; 05-10-18 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-10-18, 11:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Simply put, unless you're a talented fabricator, there's no way to build a reliable VVTi 1UZ with 600hp for anything less than $8-10k+ USD. The trans mods alone would eat up about 1/3 or more of that. Labor for custom fabrication will be a big chunk of this.

So get your wallet out. Anything's doable with money.

Quick Reply: 1999 Lexus LS400 engine swap 2jz or Ls?