LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'98 LS400 Power Steering Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 09:43 AM
Michael88
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default '98 LS400 Power Steering Pump Leak

Hello, new guy with a common thread title. Like many my pump started leaking. I consider myself a decent home mechanic with 30+ years maintenance experience on the 3 vehicles that I have purchased new in my lifetime. On my LS I have done the timing belt and water pump, and the starter. My Lexus is very reliable so when I had to put a little bit of power steering fluid in it once every two years, I didn't think too much of it. Well, about 13 years later it was time to replace the alternator which is located under the slow leaking power steering pump. The voltage regulator was bad. I got some of the signs, like intermittent idles, starts, some gauge lights, and the like. Took it to have the electrical system checked and it came back "failed voltage regulator." I purchased a re-manufactured alternator and power steering pump. Removed them both from underneath following guides and many thanks to you guys for that as well as LSLexus.com. Cleaned the area around the engine, suspension, hoses, fenders and the like. Installed them both and had the serpentine belt tensioner break off in my hand, so had to replace that. Lets say I got very familiar with how the pump and the alternator is removed and installed. I flushed the power steering system with ATF until color in was the same as the color out. Only one quart needed to get a good flush. During this time, I checked for leaks with a very critical eye and noticed a leak that appears to be around the filler tube on top the pump. I was not happy. When I installed the filler tube, I copied the o ring placement to match the old pump. I put the tube in the pump and it felt loose and I thought .... this is going to leak ... I tightened the two bolts on the bracket. My question is, "how many o rings are needed and where on a pump replacement?" The re-manufactured pump came with two o rings, but the old pump had only one o-ring in the process (the one on the filler tube) and the crush rings for the high pressure line (which did not come with the re-manufactured pump so I used the old ones and didn't see a leak.) Also, I noted a small crack starting on the edge of the hose connecting the filler tube to the the power steering pump reservoir. Please give me your suggestions and your experiences on the matter. Are they similar to mine?
Old 04-30-18, 12:53 PM
Michael88
Driver

Please help me figure out the next step. Here thoughts in sequence:
1. Replace the reservoir to pump hose with something I can match up at the parts store and new clamps (it might be cracked and brittle inside allowing fluid to seep past the clamps. Check for leaks.
2. If leak is still present, unbolt the ABS "cube" and move only slightly. Unbolt and move power steering pump slightly in order to access bolts to filler tube bracket (rather than remove timing belt cover which is a pain to reinstall without taking radiator, fan, and hoses off.) Pull the filler tube out. Replace supplied o ring with one that is meatier. Consider a gasket of some sort (liquid gasket, spark plug gasket, garden hose washer) around the feeder sitting between the bracket and the pump. Check for leaks,
3. If leak is still present, remove the pump and return to auto parts store as a leaking defective re-manufactured pos

Your guidance is much appreciated.
Old 04-30-18, 01:18 PM
bradland

Received 651 Likes on 533 Posts

The PS pump on LS400's may be the most common issue with several levels of consequence. Sadly the aftermarket pumps are notoriously CRAP. I'm not suggesting you immediately return it but keep in mind it may be more of a problem in the long run than the solution of your current issue.

I would start by replacing the hose between the reservoir and pump with the correct Lexus part- #4434850010
It's expensive for a simple rubber hose @ approx $40, you might be able to get it cheaper from a Toyota dealer, but it's pre formed and the ID is metric which you will not find a any local parts store.
The following users liked this post:
Michael88 (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 01:43 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 408 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael88
Please help me figure out the next step. Here thoughts in sequence:
1. Replace the reservoir to pump hose with something I can match up at the parts store and new clamps (it might be cracked and brittle inside allowing fluid to seep past the clamps. Check for leaks.
2. If leak is still present, unbolt the ABS "cube" and move only slightly. Unbolt and move power steering pump slightly in order to access bolts to filler tube bracket (rather than remove timing belt cover which is a pain to reinstall without taking radiator, fan, and hoses off.) Pull the filler tube out. Replace supplied o ring with one that is meatier. Consider a gasket of some sort (liquid gasket, spark plug gasket, garden hose washer) around the feeder sitting between the bracket and the pump. Check for leaks,
3. If leak is still present, remove the pump and return to auto parts store as a leaking defective re-manufactured pos

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Save yourself time and greater future expense by purchasing new OEM parts.

Be safe...DO NOT use aftermarket hoses.
Michael88 (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 02:00 PM
Michael88
Driver

I have to choose between OEM parts or feeding four kids at this point in life. Where can I get affordable OEM parts?
Old 04-30-18, 02:12 PM
bradland

Received 651 Likes on 533 Posts

Start with the hose but just keep in mind, as I said earlier, the pump may continue to haunt you. Hopefully it wont !
I've chased this same dragon on my 1st and second LS and both times the solution was found in a genuine Lexus pump.

As far as parts are concerned I like to start here -https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...car-parts.html to find part numbers then use that number in a Google search. This will bring up several options where you can find your best price.

Your hose is probably brittle and cracked. Mine tore apart like a dry waffle cone when I replaced the PS pump on my 99.
Michael88 (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 04:18 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Michael88
I have to choose between OEM parts or feeding four kids at this point in life. Where can I get affordable OEM parts?
Loss of power steering can cause an accident.
If obtaining quotes, Contact Javier at McGrath Lexus in Chicago. Refer to this post.
Old 05-01-18, 10:24 AM
Michael88
Driver

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Loss of power steering can cause an accident.
If obtaining quotes, Contact Javier at McGrath Lexus in Chicago. Refer to this post.
Thanks for the contact information, but causing an accident? I disagree. I am the only person that drives it, and I have plenty of experience. Don't worry it is parked until this job is done right and not leaking.
Old 05-01-18, 10:25 AM
Michael88
Driver

This weekend I will replace the hose between the reservoir and the feeder tube. Stay tuned.
Old 05-01-18, 01:05 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Power steering loss

Anyone lose power steering due to loss of hydraulic fluid who can elaborate on what happens when you try to turn the steering wheel. Thanks.
Old 05-01-18, 01:43 PM
Michael88
Driver

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Anyone lose power steering due to loss of hydraulic fluid who can elaborate on what happens when you try to turn the steering wheel. Thanks.
Yeah I can elaborate. It becomes very difficult to turn, it makes noise, you drive home slowly with your hazards on. Call a tow truck if you are afraid.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael88:
chad504 (02-10-23), sha4000 (05-02-18)
Old 05-01-18, 07:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Aftermarket hoses work just fine, just make sure you're using either direct fit aftermarket stuff or custom made high pressure HYDRAULIC fluid-rated line.

The car is perfectly safe to drive without power steering, just requires more effort to turn the wheel. Not a safety issue in the LS at all. Ther are bigger cars/trucks that were never even offered with power steering, and modern cars sold today without it even as an option.
Old 05-04-18, 06:29 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I used a bleach bottle on my PS leak about 3 years ago, still working for me...

Last edited by billydpowe; 05-04-18 at 06:31 AM. Reason: simular to this...
The following 2 users liked this post by billydpowe:
chad504 (02-10-23), spuds (05-04-18)
Old 05-04-18, 06:57 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks Billy for posting this a few times.I really need to get this in place.Question....it was just a wire removal and it sits right in,no need to do anything else to get it in place,correct? I havent actually seen my alternator yet....
Old 05-04-18, 09:51 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

yes but getting the alt out and in is work

Quick Reply: '98 LS400 Power Steering Pump Leak