LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS Auto Shift Modification

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 06:24 AM
Bhogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Auto Shift Modification

Hi All

I’m Needing some Help Please..
I’m Just wondering if anyone has had the Lexus 1uzfe and the auto box that was in it ??
I’ve just brought a 4Runner with this engine and box in it!, and after having this same engine but with a 5 speed manual in my Hilux and absolutely loving how had it went, I just couldn’t believe it was the same engine!!, I’ve owned plenty of Auto boxes before that still go pretty hard! But the auto box that originally came with this engine I’m Very very disappointed with to say the least. I’m not sure if my box is like all of these boxes or perhaps mine needs some adjusting if that possible?? It’s very very Sluggish indeed!, even if I put my boot into it it’s like sitting beside and older grandparent driving!!.
PLEASE tell me these boxes can be adjusted so I can get some type of performance and enjoyment out of it ? As at the moment I put my foot down and it pretty much dose Nothing!..
Can someone Please give me some Good News that these gearboxes can or do get up and go hard without spending heaps of money modifying the box to do what it should...

Cheers and appreciate any help/advice
Old 10-28-17, 08:25 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Dude the ls400 engine and trans are mated in a way to provide a smooth and comfortable ride with a good 0-100 time. The 5 speed swap on the ls400 completely changes this and increases its low take off feel end greatly. No, this transmission does NOT lend itself to modification at all
Old 10-28-17, 05:09 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhogg
Hi All

I’m Needing some Help Please..
I’m Just wondering if anyone has had the Lexus 1uzfe and the auto box that was in it ??
I’ve just brought a 4Runner with this engine and box in it!, and after having this same engine but with a 5 speed manual in my Hilux and absolutely loving how had it went, I just couldn’t believe it was the same engine!!, I’ve owned plenty of Auto boxes before that still go pretty hard! But the auto box that originally came with this engine I’m Very very disappointed with to say the least. I’m not sure if my box is like all of these boxes or perhaps mine needs some adjusting if that possible?? It’s very very Sluggish indeed!, even if I put my boot into it it’s like sitting beside and older grandparent driving!!.
PLEASE tell me these boxes can be adjusted so I can get some type of performance and enjoyment out of it ? As at the moment I put my foot down and it pretty much dose Nothing!..
Can someone Please give me some Good News that these gearboxes can or do get up and go hard without spending heaps of money modifying the box to do what it should...

Cheers and appreciate any help/advice
A proper 1UZFE mated to an Aisin A341E is a fine combination. You need to diagnose the operation of the transmission starting with a stall speed test. I do not doubt that the transplant into a 4 Runner has left out some critical input. You do know that there is a critical cable adjustment at the throttle lever as installed in the LS400. This adjustment affects torque converter lock-up and shift points.
Colin
The following users liked this post:
Bhogg (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 09:59 PM
Bhogg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
A proper 1UZFE mated to an Aisin A341E is a fine combination. You need to diagnose the operation of the transmission starting with a stall speed test. I do not doubt that the transplant into a 4 Runner has left out some critical input. You do know that there is a critical cable adjustment at the throttle lever as installed in the LS400. This adjustment affects torque converter lock-up and shift points.
Colin
Thanks Colin

Which cable is that mate? As I’ll have to check that out!!
As it’s not the only thing that’s going on, if I free rev it it’ll cut out then rev again then cut out, but if I hope in and drive it and open the throttle completely up it doesn’t die off?.

but anyway appreciate your time and help
Old 10-30-17, 04:03 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhogg
Thanks Colin

Which cable is that mate? As I’ll have to check that out!!
As it’s not the only thing that’s going on, if I free rev it it’ll cut out then rev again then cut out, but if I hope in and drive it and open the throttle completely up it doesn’t die off?.

but anyway appreciate your time and help

Cable between the transmission and the throttle lever. It is a critical adjustment. It is right beside the throttle cable from the accelerator pedal. It changes the entire shift map based on throttle position by changing fluid pressures throughout the transmission.
(p.s. correct stall speed is 2,200 rpm @ 175*F fluid temp)
Old 10-31-19, 04:55 AM
LexUK400
Driver School Candidate

Cable between the transmission and the throttle lever. It is a critical adjustment. It is right beside the throttle cable from the accelerator pedal. It changes the entire shift map based on throttle position by changing fluid pressures throughout the transmission.
OLD THREAD but....
Wondering if this is the cause of my '93 seeming to lock up (strange sudden jerk) when overtaiking at say 75mph and on Kickdown. Very unnerving, makes me fall back. Is there a sticky on this subject or is this a Dealership maintenance job?
Old 10-31-19, 07:13 PM
Bhogg
Driver School Candidate

Hi mate
th for your time and help it’s greatly appreciated!!!, I’ll have a play around with it and see if that improves anything.
thanks again!!.