LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS400 Engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 02:04 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jumerle
I forgot to state that I paid $320.00 to have the engine mounts replaced on my 1998 LS 400 which has 130,000 miles thus far.
Sorry to say, but you'll most likely be doing a mount replacement in a few years time due to your cost cutting. There's a reason why the Lexus mounts last 20+ years in these cars.

I purchased my OEM Lexus mounts for $240 through a Lexus seller, Bell Lexus, online back in May 2017 so it wasn't the $300 you speak of.

Labor for me was free since I know how to remove 17mm bolts and retighten them. It's really not that difficult of a job, just need to use your head and get creative when removing and installing the mounts.

The DIYs on here and the ones I found on the internet helped tremendously. I had air tools but in this case the clearance was not there for them so I used my box end wrenches for 90% of the job.

There are other parts of this car you can go aftermarket on, but the LS400 was originally marketed for it's smoothness and refinement and part of that was due to how isolated the engine was from the car when driving and at idle.

I wish you could experience how vibration free my 97 is with the new OEM mounts I installed. Initially I was thinking about saving a few bucks by going the eBay route but I'm glad I didn't. It's just not worth the savings especially considering how low cost this car is for maintenance to begin with. The timing belt service and these mounts are the only two expenses I've had in the 35k and 2 yrs I've owned it for. And these mounts will most likely never need replacing again in the lifetime of this vehicle.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-26-17 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 08:37 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
I've been old school where past experiences with varying third party parts have left me doing the replacement drill sooner than the "lifetime warranty" would have one believe. My belief in do it right the first time saves the time and money and the Toyota part has the known reputation. Agree that the cost factor is a consideration so that is a YMMV. For ours I went with the Toyota part.
A picture is worth a thousand words:
This is the OEM mount. If you use aftermarket crap, then you have NVH issues.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/871258-ls400-engine-mount-internal-view.html
Old 10-26-17, 08:58 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Sorry to say, but you'll most likely be doing a mount replacement in a few years time due to your cost cutting. There's a reason why the Lexus mounts last 20+ years in these cars.

I purchased my OEM Lexus mounts for $240 through a Lexus seller, Bell Lexus, online back in May 2017 so it wasn't the $300 you speak of.

Labor for me was free since I know how to remove 17mm bolts and retighten them. It's really not that difficult of a job, just need to use your head and get creative when removing and installing the mounts.

The DIYs on here and the ones I found on the internet helped tremendously. I had air tools but in this case the clearance was not there for them so I used my box end wrenches for 90% of the job.

There are other parts of this car you can go aftermarket on, but the LS400 was originally marketed for it's smoothness and refinement and part of that was due to how isolated the engine was from the car when driving and at idle.

I wish you could experience how vibration free my 97 is with the new OEM mounts I installed. Initially I was thinking about saving a few bucks by going the eBay route but I'm glad I didn't. It's just not worth the savings especially considering how low cost this car is for maintenance to begin with. The timing belt service and these mounts are the only two expenses I've had in the 35k and 2 yrs I've owned it for. And these mounts will most likely never need replacing again in the lifetime of this vehicle.

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin
Old 10-26-17, 09:08 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Losiracer2

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin
Old 10-26-17, 09:21 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

We've also often heard that while these cars are affordable to buy, the maintenance will still reflect the level which these cars were targeted towards. I'm a firm believer that the red boxed Toyota is appropriate when making repairs. I can believe that for some third party makers they are simply solid rubber composite type mounts.
Old 10-26-17, 07:48 PM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey John, you may be correct but the engine mounts I purchased are filled with fluid.
I do not have a hoist to lift the engine so how could I have replaced it myself? What can I use to lift the engine?
I would remove the pair in got installed and replace it with new OEMs if I could do it myself. So I am waiting for your instructions please.
Best regards,
Jude

Originally Posted by YODAONE

John Ruskin
Old 10-26-17, 08:10 PM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

The brand I used is called Motor King.

Originally Posted by sha4000
So what is the brand that you used? I'm glad it worked out for you but I did mine some years ago and the OEM mounts were $90 a piece plus I did the work with a friend of mine.
Old 10-26-17, 08:21 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Jumerle,
You have to put the car on jack stands, all four corners, parallel to the ground (important!) and take the front wheels off.
You put a piece of 3/4 plywood under the engine oil pan and jack it up, undo the
heater valve on the firewall first so it can move upward a bit, or you will break that plastic part by the engine moving upward.
Lift the engine just a little and turn the 17mm nuts, I made a mistake of lifting it higher and putting pressure on the nuts, making them hard to turn. Stubby 17mm wrench is your friend for the job! Driver side is tricky, takes a while to turn the nut.
Also, one power steering hose was old and brittle and started leaking when I raised the engine. (Power steering return hose?)
It wasn't a very easy job, but not too bad.
I bought OEM mounts from Japan, a little different part number, supposedly re-designed for VVT engine. $114 a piece plus shipping.
Hope this helps.
Val
Old 10-26-17, 08:46 PM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a million Val. Note that I am referring to the 1998 LS400.
I might try my skills at it.

Originally Posted by valex
Jumerle,
You have to put the car on jack stands, all four corners, parallel to the ground (important!) and take the front wheels off.
You put a piece of 3/4 plywood under the engine oil pan and jack it up, undo the
heater valve on the firewall first so it can move upward a bit, or you will break that plastic part by the engine moving upward.
Lift the engine just a little and turn the 17mm nuts, I made a mistake of lifting it higher and putting pressure on the nuts, making them hard to turn. Stubby 17mm wrench is your friend for the job! Driver side is tricky, takes a while to turn the nut.
Also, one power steering hose was old and brittle and started leaking when I raised the engine. (Power steering return hose?)
I bought OEM mounts from Japan, a little different part number, supposedly re-designed for VVT engine. $114 a piece plus shipping.
Hope this helps.
Val
Old 10-26-17, 08:52 PM
valex
Advanced

Originally Posted by jumerle
Thanks a million Val. Note that I am referring to the 1998 LS400.
I might try my skills at it.
Mine is 1999 LS, I did it 1,5 years ago
Old 10-27-17, 12:59 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Jumerle,
Hope this helps.
Val
If you begin with the passenger side mount first, then remove it and then lower the engine in the void where the mount was, it'll be easier to do the driver side mount since the driver side will lift up slightly allowing for more clearance when the engine leans to the passenger side. Unbolting of the heater valve wasn't necessary for me, I just had to unbolt the power steering bracket fixed to the passenger side under the plastic intake piping where the filter sits. I have a non VVTi engine though so I'm not sure if your heater valve is positioned differently.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (02-20-18)
Old 10-27-17, 09:10 AM
j400
Driver School Candidate

Jumerle,
heater valve on the firewall first
so it can move upward a bit, or you will break that plastic part by the engine moving upward.
Val

1) Did you completely remove the piece below (taken from another thread)? Did any liquid spill out?
2) Also, why remove the front wheels? I'm thinking about tackling this on for a 99, but this would be the first time.
Old 10-27-17, 11:15 AM
valex
Advanced

I didn't remove the heater valve completely, just unbolted it from the firewall, so it moves a bit with the hose attached. Some coolant will flow out ( I think ) if you take it off.
As for the front wheels off, you will have more room to move around there, more light too.
Old 02-17-18, 09:57 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Do you think this is the real deal?they claim its FACTORY OEM LEXUS 97-00 LS400 ENGINE MOTOR STRUT MOUNT INSULATOR 12361-50101

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-OEM-LEXUS-97-00-LS400-ENGINE-MOTOR-STRUT-MOUNT-INSULATOR-12361-50101/152463073088?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALS400&epid=2249245935&hash=item237f81df40:g:BdQAAOSwYVlaDSDn
Condition:New

price:US $82.45

1998 LS400 Engine mount-mcxt0t2.jpg

Last edited by spuds; 02-17-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 10:27 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I would stay OEM with the mounts. I tried aftermarket mounts and IMMEDIATELY took them off after I started the car. They made lots of noise while idling.
you just bought the wrong ones, my "fluid" ones are still doing great no vib up to 110 (I run out of guts there).. and it has been years

Quick Reply: 1998 LS400 Engine mount