LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 1st gen: heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 02:35 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS400 1st gen: heater not working

My heater went out recently. I can use my AC for cold air, however I can't get any hot air whatsoever! Whether I have the AC on or not, i cannot get any hot or even warm air. I have plenty of pink coolant in the radiator so that is not a issue. Does this look like a heater core issue or am i missing something?
Old 10-10-17, 04:25 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by OMAHA
My heater went out recently. I can use my AC for cold air, however I can't get any hot air whatsoever! Whether I have the AC on or not, i cannot get any hot or even warm air. I have plenty of pink coolant in the radiator so that is not a issue. Does this look like a heater core issue or am i missing something?
Condition of Cabin Air Filter?

Check that cable to water control valve (on upper middle firewall) moves when heat is turned on...
Old 10-10-17, 04:27 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Check that cable to water control valve (on upper middle firewall) moves when heat is turned on...
Old 10-10-17, 04:50 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YODAONE

Is this it?
Old 10-10-17, 04:52 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

another close up
Old 10-10-17, 05:16 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

another close up
Perhaps this is your problem?? LOL

Replace your water control valve all related preformed coolant, hoses and hose clamps...use OEM Lexus.

Be careful.when removing hoses connecting to firewall through-hole fittings...score the hose in several places to ease hose removal and avoid wrenching fittings.
Old 10-10-17, 11:11 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Isn't it nice how corrosive that red coolant is. Never ever seen that with Green Prestone.
Old 10-11-17, 04:02 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
Isn't it nice how corrosive that red coolant is. Never ever seen that with Green Prestone.
Corrosion??

This appears to be hard well water (high mineral content )build-up as a result of using tap water, and not distilled water, in the cooling system..

It should probably be professionally cleaned and flushed BEFORE next timing belt-water pump service.

Replaced a water control valve on a 1993 LS400.
which was experiencing an elusive slow coolant leak...

Zero build-up, so the only way I was able to confirm this was tte source of the leak was to wrap a paper towel around the valve and wait for coolant stains to sppear...and they did...problem solved..

Due to mileage and age of internal rubber seals, probably a majority of water control valves on 1990-1994 LS400's should be inspected for leakss.

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-11-17 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-11-17, 11:46 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dicer
i have heard to only use Toyota PINK or RED..... when i replaced my timing belt and water pump 3 years ago at 200k, i'm sure my mechanic used tap water to mix with the RED.
Old 10-11-17, 11:49 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Corrosion??

This appears to be hard well water (high mineral content )build-up as a result of using tap water, and not distilled water, in the cooling system..

It should probably be professionally cleaned and flushed BEFORE next timing belt-water pump service.

Replaced a water control valve on a 1993 LS400.
which was experiencing an elusive slow coolant leak...

Zero build-up, so the only way I was able to confirm this was tte source of the leak was to wrap a paper towel around the valve and wait for coolant stains to sppear...and they did...problem solved..

Due to mileage and age of internal rubber seals, probably a majority of water control valves on 1990-1994 LS400's should be inspected for leakss.
This is a interesting quote.....
Old 10-11-17, 04:07 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Perhaps this is your problem?? LOL

Replace your water control valve all related preformed coolant, hoses and hose clamps...use OEM Lexus.

Be careful.when removing hoses connecting to firewall through-hole fittings...score the hose in several places to ease hose removal and avoid wrenching fittings.
Lexus quoted me $121 for water control valve
Old 10-11-17, 06:19 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Lexus quoted me $121 for water control valve
What about hoses and clamps associated with water control valve?

Call Javier parts department at McGrath Lexus Chicago should you require assistance....
Old 10-11-17, 07:07 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Call Javier parts department at McGrath Lexus Chicago should you require assistance....
Thanks! Will do!
Old 10-19-17, 11:13 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

UPDATE: Called Javier and he gave great info.... he said thanks to whoever recommended him! new water control valve with houses and clamps
Old 10-19-17, 11:25 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

A issue has arose.....the valve will CLOSE when i turn it to COLD but when i turn it to HOT it stays CLOSED. I can manually OPEN it though. Mechanic says i can open it during winter for hot air or close it in summer for cold air. My question is.... is anyone familiar with what is going on now?....LOL

Quick Reply: LS400 1st gen: heater not working