LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Today was a sad day. Got rear ended in my brand new LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 07:16 PM
jakob27990
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Today was a sad day. Got rear ended in my brand new LS

Well i woke up today and decided it would be a good day to get some work done on my newly acquired LS400. I had intent to replace the Sway Bar Bushings and do a PS Fluid Flush. Went out to get a coffee and while sitting at a Red Light got rear ended by a guy not paying attention in a Big Dodge Pickup Truck. He tried to miss me by driving over the curb and ended up smashing my back corner.

Here are some pics of the damage:

Its really unfortunate because I spent a fair bit of money and a lot of hours working on this thing since i got it. Front Suspension all brand new, control arms, stabilizer links, ball joints, struts and coil springs, brakes all around, got the windows tinted headlights changed to 5000k, timing belt, brand new tires, plugs, coil packs and wires, etc. The list goes on and on. I think the insurance company might end up writing it off. The damage will come out to more than the car is worth.

What do you guys think? How should I go about fixing it / fighting it?
Old 08-13-17, 07:45 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

it sounds like mine, I done all that plus engine & tranny mounts, VC gaskets & sparkplugs, I got a 1900+ check and considered it payment for my work, sort of pulled my front fender dent out with my plunger and kept on driving it...
Attached Thumbnails Today was a sad day. Got rear ended in my brand new LS-002.jpg  
Old 08-13-17, 08:29 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Hopefully he has insurance...You are in too deep to let damaged fender stop you now. Really sorry mate.
Old 08-13-17, 08:49 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The sucky thing is the car is totalled in the eyes of an insurance company. If you're a good driver with spare funds you might as well carry liability-only with these cars.

In your situation -- depending on how deep you're invested (it looks like you are fairly deep), your best bet may be to take the pay-off, fix it properly and deal with a rebuilt title.

Last edited by djamps; 08-13-17 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 05:50 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to hear about this... it is a shame we spend so much time, energy and money to get our cars just like we want, and them some bozo comes and ruins it.
I hope you can get the funds, keep the car and get it repaired.
Old 08-14-17, 06:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Too bad, its totaled. This is why I tell people if you have a car you want to keep nice, then don't drive it.
Old 08-14-17, 07:22 PM
jakob27990
Driver School Candidate

I ended up going to the collision repair shop today. He said it is easily fixable but its gonna cost between $2500 and $3000 to fix. He was legit sickened by how nice the car was and how well kept it was. he wants me to pull out invoices from the parts ive installed, take lots of pictures and convince the insurance thats worth the money to fix it
Old 08-15-17, 02:19 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

To fix it right it needs a complete paint job. And only a high end polyurethane, no water paint.
Old 08-15-17, 03:49 PM
jakob27990
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
To fix it right it needs a complete paint job. And only a high end polyurethane, no water paint.
Finally got it in for a good estimate. its been sent off to the insurance company. The Estimator took pictures of everything from all the new parts I installed to underneath the car. He even pulled the carpet to see how clean the floorboards were. The thing is mint, no rust on the body anywhere. Because it was going through insurance he wasn't allowed to tell me the exact numbers, but told me approximately $3400 in damages. He said the car is mint, drives mint and is definitely worth fixing, and if it comes down to it will go to town with insurance on how clean it is to avoid it being a write off.

I have a chance still. Trunk is perfect still. Needs a bumper and taillight. He claims the quarter can be fixed up, and then obviously repainting. He has hope the insurance will go through with fixing it.

I still loose sleep over it at night, it bothers me every second of the day that in the end it could be a write off. And even if it is, i might still keep the car, proceed to fix it myself and see if the guy who hit me would be willing to pay a bit out of pocket. He's a retired police officer and genuinely feels really bad about the accident.

Just gonna have to wait and see, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-15-17, 05:42 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jakob27990
Finally got it in for a good estimate. its been sent off to the insurance company. The Estimator took pictures of everything from all the new parts I installed to underneath the car. He even pulled the carpet to see how clean the floorboards were. The thing is mint, no rust on the body anywhere. Because it was going through insurance he wasn't allowed to tell me the exact numbers, but told me approximately $3400 in damages. He said the car is mint, drives mint and is definitely worth fixing, and if it comes down to it will go to town with insurance on how clean it is to avoid it being a write off.

I have a chance still. Trunk is perfect still. Needs a bumper and taillight. He claims the quarter can be fixed up, and then obviously repainting. He has hope the insurance will go through with fixing it.

I still loose sleep over it at night, it bothers me every second of the day that in the end it could be a write off. And even if it is, i might still keep the car, proceed to fix it myself and see if the guy who hit me would be willing to pay a bit out of pocket. He's a retired police officer and genuinely feels really bad about the accident.

Just gonna have to wait and see, keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm sure there's a bunch of us here feeling for you, I've never had this happen but I'd be feeling the same about now. Hopefully insurance comes through, I'd love to see a happy ending.
Old 08-15-17, 09:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

A few years down the road it will have paint mismatch, as well as tell tale signs of painting. Its not 'MINT' now.
Old 08-15-17, 10:03 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

buy this one in AZ for 1000, its got a great condition body you can transfer your parts to. Clean title. Same color as yours also. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/c...251657009.html

Old 08-17-17, 02:20 PM
jakob27990
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by creilly
I'm sure there's a bunch of us here feeling for you, I've never had this happen but I'd be feeling the same about now. Hopefully insurance comes through, I'd love to see a happy ending.
Well I got a phone call early this morning from not only the body shop but the insurance company. After carefully looking at pictures from the rest of the car and seeing how clean and nice of a car it was, they approved the quote for the body shop to get started. A new bumper and taillight is on order. So far so good, knock on wood it stays that way.
Old 08-17-17, 02:27 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jakob27990
Well I got a phone call early this morning from not only the body shop but the insurance company. After carefully looking at pictures from the rest of the car and seeing how clean and nice of a car it was, they approved the quote for the body shop to get started. A new bumper and taillight is on order. So far so good, knock on wood it stays that way.
Congratulations, fantastic news! I'm sure that's a huge relief to you.
Old 08-17-17, 06:02 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

surprised to hear that despite the quarter panel damage which is usually a difficult repair! hope she is back in shape soon!

Quick Reply: Today was a sad day. Got rear ended in my brand new LS