LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ac compressor clutch p.n.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 06:55 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Ac compressor clutch p.n.

Toyota used quality A.C. Compressors in the LS400.

If not through use, then over time, the lubrication in the A.C. Compressor clutch bearing degrades resulting in noise and discernable vibration.

Anyone with an LS400 probably is a candidate for a compressor clutch.. (Same serpentine belt drives the idler bearing, fan bracket bearing, tensioner pulley bearing...which most of us have replaced...why does the AC Compressor clutch bearing get short shrift?)

However , the indy repair shop cannot use a Denso replacement Compressor Clutch...

Why? Becaise Denso Aftermarket informed me they do not offer replacement clutch...you have to go to the dealer...

But Denso does sell an entire compressor and clutch assembly....but that requires $$ to evacuate and refill the system...and other parts should be replaced at same time.

So only my clutch bearing is acting up.

Lexus charges about $200 for a clutch assembly....not unreasonable ...but what is going to happen is AutoZone or Advance or O''Reillys is going to get your repair shop business for a $50 clutch,. probably made in China.. (Ahem) .. (Sure they warranty it...just keep replacing it and endure the noise and vibration in the meanwhile)

My AC Compressor clutch has Denso P.N. 447300-4372. and is made in Japan.

Anyone with a line on a U.S. based supplier t that offers this Denso clutch assembly??

Also, c
eck out my posting on OEM AC compressor clutch bearing MFR. Nachi.

Lexus dealer online pricing..
This P.N. is applicable to 1995 - 2000 LS400.
If you have basic do it yourself skills, e-clip tool.and clutch cover holder (That you get from Autozone) it is easy to do.
Purchase durable OEM part with the money you save on labor.
Old 08-07-17, 07:57 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part i dont c it listed on their site. sorry i exhausted my resources and found nothing for just the clutch
Old 08-09-17, 02:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Toyota used quality A.C. Compressors in the LS400.

If not through use, then over time, the lubrication in the A.C. Compressor clutch bearing degrades resulting in noise and discernable vibration.

Anyone with an LS400 probably is a candidate for a compressor clutch.. (Same serpentine belt drives the idler bearing, fan bracket bearing, tensioner pulley bearing...which most of us have replaced...why does the AC Compressor clutch bearing get short shrift?)

However , the indy repair shop cannot use a Denso replacement Compressor Clutch...

Why? Becaise Denso Aftermarket informed me they do not offer replacement clutch...you have to go to the dealer...

But Denso does sell an entire compressor and clutch assembly....but that requires $$ to evacuate and refill the system...and other parts should be replaced at same time.

So only my clutch bearing is acting up.

Lexus charges about $200 for a clutch assembly....not unreasonable ...but what is going to happen is AutoZone or Advance or O''Reillys is going to get your repair shop business for a $50 clutch,. probably made in China.. (Ahem) .. (Sure they warranty it...just keep replacing it and endure the noise and vibration in the meanwhile)

My AC Compressor clutch has Denso P.N. 447300-4372. and is made in Japan.

Anyone with a line on a U.S. based supplier t that offers this Denso clutch assembly??

Also, c
eck out my posting on OEM AC compressor clutch bearing MFR. Nachi.

Lexus dealer online pricing..
This P.N. is applicable to 1995 - 2000 LS400.
If you have basic do it yourself skills, e-clip tool.and clutch cover holder (That you get from Autozone) it is easy to do.
Purchase durable OEM part with the money you save on labor.
AC COMPRESSOR BEARING REPLACEMENT

Nachi is an OEM supplier for Denso AC Compressor bearings.

The 1999 LS400 had all other serpentine belt accessories and bearings replaced...save for the AC Compressor clutch bearing....which exhibited noise and side play.

Investigation revealed an upgraded Nachi bearing....

Replacement Nachi AC Compressor clutch bearing...
Nachi P.N. is 30BG5222UUS which incorporates improvements in bearing and lubrication technology.
Front view of compressor showing snap ring. (removed serpentine belt, fan and fan clutch assembly, radiator shroud,, battery and battery tray.for access)).
Smap ring pliers necessary to removing snapring.
Backside of clutch assembly with bearing...notice stake marks...will remove.
Used Dremel tool to remove stake points forvease of removal....and insertion of new bearing....don't rely upon the machine shop to do this
Side by side old vs new...the newer bearing appears to have a thinner shaft ring....but this shoukd equate to larger internal components and additional lubrication capacity.
This project requires replacement AC Compressor clutch snap ring and front clutch cover bolt
AC Compressor clutch cover holding tool available as rental fromn.....AutoZone.
DO NOT BUY THEIR AFTERMARKET CLUTCH!!

The results were quite noticeable...

The new Nachi bearing fit much better onto the compresssor shaft..ZERO side play

Much quietee at idle with less vibration.

AC compressor operation was much less intrusive.

Well worth the time.

About $50 parts and labor.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (01-28-24)
Old 08-09-17, 02:58 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

AC COMPRESSOR BEARING REPLACEMENT

Nachi is an OEM supplier for Denso AC Compressor bearings.

The 1999 LS400 had all other serpentine belt accessories and bearings replaced...save for the AC Compressor clutch bearing....which exhibited noise and side play.

Investigation revealed an upgraded Nachi bearing....

Replacement Nachi AC Compressor clutch bearing...
Nachi P.N. is 30BG5222UUS which incorporates improvements in bearing and lubrication technology.
Front view of compressor showing snap ring. (removed serpentine belt, fan and fan clutch assembly, radiator shroud,, battery and battery tray.for access)).
Smap ring pliers necessary to removing snapring.
Backside of clutch assembly with bearing...notice stake marks...will remove.
Used Dremel tool to remove stake points forvease of removal....and insertion of new bearing....don't rely upon the machine shop to do this
Side by side old vs new...the newer bearing appears to have a thinner shaft ring....but this shoukd equate to larger internal components and additional lubrication capacity.
This project requires replacement AC Compressor clutch snap ring and front clutch cover bolt
AC Compressor clutch cover holding tool available as rental fromn.....AutoZone.
DO NOT BUY THEIR AFTERMARKET CLUTCH!!

The results were quite noticeable...

The new Nachi bearing fit much better onto the compresssor shaft..ZERO side play

Much quietee at idle with less vibration.

AC compressor operation was much less intrusive.

Well worth the time.

About $50 parts and labor.

Japanese vs Chinese bearings.....

Majority of aftermarket stuff has Chinese bearings
JonnyO78 (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 10:42 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write-up Yoda. Looks like I need to do this because my AC clutch just started making noises. It shuts up when the AC is on, but not all the way.
Old 03-27-19, 02:35 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

How did you cross to the bearing? Just dimensionally? Did you round the bolt getting it out, or some other reason? Nice write up on this bearing change out.
Old 03-27-19, 05:31 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaaa
How did you cross to the bearing? Just dimensionally? Did you round the bolt getting it out, or some other reason? Nice write up on this bearing change out.
Nachi is the OEM bearing supplier in the original AC clutch.

Nachi brand and P.N. can be read on the original bearing (somewhere in this post).

I contacted Nachi who provided the superseding P.N. that you see in this post.

Hope that helps...
The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
jaaa (03-28-19), PNWLS430 (03-15-21)
Old 03-30-19, 04:25 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Did you take it into a shop to have the bearing swapped? I have access to a press, so I will very likely DIY the whole job. Now to look at pressing new stake points.
Old 03-30-19, 04:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
Did you take it into a shop to have the bearing swapped? I have access to a press, so I will very likely DIY the whole job. Now to look at pressing new stake points.
Professional machine shop.

If you do not bring down raised stake lances before pressing out bearing, you will bend the pulley.

I did not restake mine. The bearing fits tight enough. If concern over this approach, then use thread lock in the bore area before pressing in new bearing.
Old 03-31-19, 06:33 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

I did not restake mine. The bearing fits tight enough. If concern over this approach, then use thread lock in the bore area before pressing in new bearing.
That's what I needed to know. Grind out the stakes. Press out. Use some thread locker and push the new bearing in.

Thanks again for this awesome write up!
Old 07-30-20, 10:19 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Yoda- Did you buy the Nachi bearing, bolt & snap ring from the dealer or from another source?

Btw, the Nachi bearing p/n on the box you showed is 30BG5222UUS NT, however the marking on the actual bearing is 30BG5222US. I see some online sellers that also sell the Nachi bearing 30BG5222-2DSE & they stated it's the same part. Just wondering if these suffixes may have some to do with the different types of screening. Do you know?

Last edited by Superfast1; 07-30-20 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 07:23 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Superfast1
Yoda- Did you buy the Nachi bearing, bolt & snap ring from the dealer or from another source?

Btw, the Nachi bearing p/n on the box you showed is 30BG5222UUS NT, however the marking on the actual bearing is 30BG5222US. I see some online sellers that also sell the Nachi bearing 30BG5222-2DSE & they stated it's the same part. Just wondering if these suffixes may have some to do with the different types of screening. Do you know?
As with many belt driven pulleys, the bearing is not a separate service item from dealer....the bearing is "staked" into clutch (see preceding comments)

Before embarking on the project, contacted Nachi and spoke with competent technical support about Lexus AC Compressor Clutch application....

The Nachi bearing in the image was contained in the Nachi box received. (Both were imaged)

30BG5222UUS NT is shown on the box.

If you wish to spend time, perhaps you can more fully sort it out.

The front retaining clip and bolt were purchased from Lexus.

Parts diagram of AC Compressor Clutch for 1995 - 2000 LS400

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-31-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 08:13 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Based on your post, looks like you went w/ the bearing replacement route instead of replacing with the Denso clutch assy, correct?
Old 07-31-20, 09:09 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Superfast1
Based on your post, looks like you went w/ the bearing replacement route instead of replacing with the Denso clutch assy, correct?
Replaced only bearing, retaining clip.and screw.

Would not be much presentation simply replacing clutch....and over concern that some forum members would opt for low cost failure prone aftermarket, so presented this as an alternative to improve on an already good clutch with improved (contemporary materials and lubricants) quality Japanese made bearing.

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-31-20 at 09:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by YODAONE:
Lauchlan (05-21-23), PNWLS430 (03-15-21), Superfast1 (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 12:39 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Yoda- Mine is still working great but you've made me curious so I contacted Jim Stinnett, the director at Nachi US Operations & he had me talked to one of his engineers. Based on the conversation, here's what I found: The 30BGS10DST is the OEM p/n which Nachi made for Lexus so it's not available for aftermarket. The one you've got w/ the USS NT suffixes is made in the US & the 2DSE suffixes is made in Japan. They're all the same part.

All- For those of you that are having issue with the compressor clutch assy & want to go w/ just the bearing replacement route to save money, you can save even more by just shopping around for the best price w/ any of those 3 p/n's as I've seen price varies from $28 to $50.
PNWLS430 (03-15-21)

Quick Reply: Ac compressor clutch p.n.