LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Issues: Autozone timing belts , waterpumps , bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 04:03 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Issues: Autozone timing belts , waterpumps , bearings

Prior to purchaseing my 99 LS400, I requested and was presented with a copy of a waterpump/timing belt service invoice as performed by a Mazda dealer in Panama City Florida...the owner apparently worked for the dealer.

Fast forward...after 25,000 miles I discerned bearing noise from within timing cover area...

New OEM; Alternator, power steering pump, Serpentine belt, tensione, idler pulley and fan bracket bearing.

The spine of the timing belt was thin and showed evidence of wear with considerable belt dust in cam covers.

Perhaps on account that Mazda failed to replace timing belt tensioner

Googled the invoiced timing belt and water pump component P.N.'s which tracked back to Autozone...

So I purchased a timing belt and water pump service kit from Rock Auto; All OEM; Aisin water pump with correct gasket, Mitsubishi timing belt, Koyo Idler bearing and tensioner pulley,

After 25K miles, both idler and tensioner bearings were shot...noisy wirh considerable side play.

The water pump bearings were also noisy...and the water pump had been leaking...perhaps because Mazda lost one bolt and failed to tighted another.m

The pump impeller was no where near the confifuration of Aisin.

The casting was cheap construction and was not a solid piece as was Aisin's.

The water pump gasket was ill fitting crap as well and did not seem to have rubber perimeter compression seal.

There was no way this replacement kit was going to last another 65,000 miles.

My guess is 5-10k miles tops...then destroyed engine.

GMB brand bearing...pure crap
GMB timing belt idler bearing...bad shape after 25k miles
No name brand water pump...Not Aisin..
Unusual gap between impeller and housing..the fin shape appears off as well.
Swiss cheese casting...Aisin uses a solid casting
ANYONE WHO INSTALLED NON OEM water pump and timing belt components should have them checked at 15-20k.

Found this on Nachi bearing website..Nachi is OEM supplier for AC clutch bearing..
I concur with it's contents. the Japanese offer more consistent quality

GMB is listed as South Korean..but based on my experience, question their quality

Last edited by YODAONE; 08-06-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 04:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah cheap for the auto parts places and who gets stuck. China people are under paid, and likely not treated well, plus the outfit doing the work there wants it all FAST.
So they make junk, and know they will never have to warranty it. It comes back to them in a huge scrap ship to melt down and make the same junk over again.
We need to stop importing any auto parts from that country period.
Old 08-06-17, 05:06 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

gmb is junk..that pump is most likely gmb as well
Old 08-07-17, 10:20 AM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

this is why I run OEM parts for certain things. It's nice to have that peace of mind.

Certain things like sensors you can probably get away with cheaping out on, but with timing belt/water pump components I wouldn't risk it. It's worth dishing out that extra $100-$200
Old 08-07-17, 11:12 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't buy anything from Autozone based on my personal experience. A s a matter of fact, I drive by one to get to the 'better' parts place.
I don't even take my oil for recycling to Autozone.
Old 08-07-17, 08:10 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
I don't buy anything from Autozone based on my personal experience. A s a matter of fact, I drive by one to get to the 'better' parts place.
I don't even take my oil for recycling to Autozone.
well i work at napa..i got news for ya..u can always ask if the parts store offers oem stuff..we usually offer both. when i quote prices for asian cars i always give both options and also let them know if they are keeping the car to buy aisin. i actually had a guy come in to buy brake pads for the family's mini van which was used to transport their kids and their kids friends by his wife. he wanted the cheapest pads,25 dollars! i said..."so u have a 40,000 van which is used to cart ur wife and kids around and u want to put 25 dollar pads on it?" he said yes...i told him to just load up the van and have ur wife drive straight off the cliff...he laughed and bought the advics i had gods honest truth
Old 08-08-17, 10:30 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

you can buy OE denso spark plugs from "the zone". some of the ball joints there are also stamped "made in japan". it's all in your awareness on the parts you buy. of course most of the stuff there are made in china or have the casing of the OE part but with rebuilt guts from mexico. just be aware of these things. there are things you exclusively should use OE, and water pumps (and even the coolant that lubricates said pump) are some of them. I run autozone axles on my car that sees track duty, lifetime warranty on those!
Old 10-25-17, 10:00 AM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Somewhat old post but I was planning to buy the Aisin kit from RockAuto so I wanted to ask the question. YodaOne, based on this post, are you saying the Aisin timing belt water pump kit you purchased from RockAuto was not included with Aisin water pump? I've purchased Aisin kit from Rock Auto for another vehicle and the water pump had clear marking of Aisin on the water pump cover and it came in Aisin box so I would be surprised if you got different water pump, hence the qeustion.
Old 10-25-17, 02:33 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TakaM
Somewhat old post but I was planning to buy the Aisin kit from RockAuto so I wanted to ask the question. YodaOne, based on this post, are you saying the Aisin timing belt water pump kit you purchased from RockAuto was not included with Aisin water pump? I've purchased Aisin kit from Rock Auto for another vehicle and the water pump had clear marking of Aisin on the water pump cover and it came in Aisin box so I would be surprised if you got different water pump, hence the qeustion.
The Aisin Timing Belt Kit includes all relevant parts except crankshaft seal (highly recommended) and camshaft seals..

My issue is with the timing belt itself... Aisin's vendor swears it is off the same production line...however the registraruon marks on the spine of timing belt as provided by Aisin quickly wear off, while the belt purchased from Lexus holds markings after 80,000.miles, so should it become necessary to remove timing belt, it is more difficult to index on the crank and cam pulleys.

Unsure what action Aisin is taking to remedy this.

Does this help?

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-25-17 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 04:24 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The Aisin Timing Belt Kit includes all relevant parts except crankshaft seal (highly recommended) and camshaft seals..

My issue is with the timing belt itself... Aisin's vendor swears it is off the same production line...however the registraruon marks on the spine of timing belt as provided by Aisin quickly wear off, while the belt purchased from Lexus holds markings after 80,000.miles, so should it become necessary to remove timing belt, it is more difficult to index on the crank and cam pulleys.

Unsure what action Aisin is taking to remedy this.

Does this help?
That makes more sense. I did use the Mitsuboshi belt that came with the Aisin kit for another vehicle and it has not been an issue so far (50K+ miles, 3+ years). I can believe the ink print used for "after market kit" vs "OEM/toyota/lexus" may be different but I would have hard time believing Mitsuboshi would create different production belt for the same spec belts (it would be more costly for them production wise to have such differentiation other than "printing").

Thanks again for your quick reply.
Old 10-25-17, 05:58 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TakaM
That makes more sense. I did use the Mitsuboshi belt that came with the Aisin kit for another vehicle and it has not been an issue so far (50K+ miles, 3+ years). I can believe the ink print used for "after market kit" vs "OEM/toyota/lexus" may be different but I would have hard time believing Mitsuboshi would create different production belt for the same spec belts (it would be more costly for them production wise to have such differentiation other than "printing").

Thanks again for your quick reply.
These postings "bleed" into one another...

Please refer to the following posting concerning the timing belt provided with Aisin Timing Belt Kit vs the Toyota/Lexus OEM parts counter belt;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/868958-beware-aisin-timing-belt-kit-deficiency.html
Old 10-25-17, 08:48 PM
classicLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone is great for a lot of stuff... but NEVER use a cheap Duralast timing belt.

I threw one on my 95 Subaru and the belt was starting to crack after just one winter. It horrified me and I had to do it again. Stick with OEM.
Old 10-27-17, 12:52 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

you can probably get away with easy to replace Duralast accessory belts, axles, and sensors, easy things to replace if they go bad but for a labor intensive job such as timing belts and even motor mounts, I would go OEM on, since the labor cost to do it the second time would FAR exceed the cost differential between an OEM kit and the cheap chinese kit, no matter if it has a lifetime warranty or not.
Old 10-27-17, 06:47 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
you can probably get away with easy to replace Duralast accessory belts, axles, and sensors, easy things to replace if they go bad but for a labor intensive job such as timing belts and even motor mounts, I would go OEM on, since the labor cost to do it the second time would FAR exceed the cost differential between an OEM kit and the cheap chinese kit, no matter if it has a lifetime warranty or not.
Only if a recognized OEM brand....and with Autozone , that limits it to engine oil (not oill, air or cabin filters), and spark plugs.

Frankly, the solurion would be to avoid supporting any establishment that sells substandard rebuilt parts

You really have to have a discussion with your independent mechanic before you take your Lexus there for service as to replacement parts used ....otherwise they are going to purchase off of their Autozone account for convenience or to increase profits .

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-27-17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 12:12 PM
classicLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Agreed. I don't mind throwing on Duralast brake pads. Heck, I'd even use Duralast rotors (which warp over time) if I'm just trying to keep an old rust bucket going a few more years. But it's totally not worth it for the timing belt, since the job is like 90% labor and 10% parts.