LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sun & Environmental Protection(in/Out Of Car)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 06:01 PM
johndeuce4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sun & Environmental Protection(in/Out Of Car)

Lexus Protection
Today was the day I finally used a windshield sun shade. I'm here in Southern Cal and there is not much break-time from the sunshine. A few weeks back, a girlfriend asked me why I never use a sun-screen for my car. I did not have a good excuse. I have no garage and the sun, plus all the other environmental factors, has compromised my paint job. The clear coat is peeling badly on the passenger side. The car is a '97 gold LS 400 with only 122,000 miles. I am the second owner after a family in Beverly Hills sold it at 69,000 miles. The dashboard still looks good (glad it has not cracked from sun/heat exposure). Paint job estimate is $3500 for a good job, $6000 for the great job. Maaco gave me their next-to-the-top-tier job at $1500. A recommended paint pro in my area will clean up the clear-coat blemishes for $800. Money is an issue since I am about to relocate to Santa Fe, New Mexico - more sunshine in that state too. So... a little help for inside of the car, still undecided what to do for the outside. I thought I might sell the car, but it is like a family-member now. On top of that, the KBB is only about $3500-$4500 and my car is very well cared for (except for paint). Public trans and Uber/Lyft are an option, and rental cars are not out of the question. It helps that I am retired, but I still have to be a good steward of my finances. What to do...???
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Lexus Protection.txt (1.0 KB, 121 views)
Old 06-23-17, 02:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

A good detailer in southern california should be around 2-400 for a full paint correction (not respraying anything). Not sure how yours is at 800+ unless areas of the car simply need to be resprayed.
Old 06-23-17, 12:45 PM
evan55
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you considered vinyl wrapping your car? It can last 5-10 years and is way cheaper than getting your car resprayed. You can also do it yourself if you don't want to pay a shop to do it.
Old 06-23-17, 02:29 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

I have not seen dashboard cracking in any cars I've looked at over the years, even ones that have been neglected. of course it is always good to keep adding vinyl protectant on it for further protection.
as for paint, and you stated that money is an issue, I would live with it and save it for the move! it will only get worse if not on one side it will be the other.
the $800 paint pro sounds tempting but what exactly is done? sounds like what PD mentioned, just paint correction which should be enough.
Old 06-25-17, 06:32 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

The better you take care of your car the longer it should last. Of course, things happen.
Without taking care of the problem and implementing preventative measures your clear coat is only going to get worse. Look at some Kias, Hondas and some other cars that have been neglected that are not even as old.
Are you going to have vehicle cover in NM, or more of the same?

If you really want to keep it in nice condition then I'd get the clear coat repaired if that's all that is bad with it. Then get into a regular polish and wax routine to keep it protected. Keeping it nice will not come without some effort. Does not have to be money, just need some time and elbow grease on a regular basis will help.

Dashboards are known weaknesses in the newer Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Daughter had her 2006 Avalon dash replaced by Toyota for free, but believe the older ones have better material.

Good luck in your move.
Old 06-27-17, 11:24 AM
johndeuce4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sun & Environmental Protection

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will research detail shops and car wraps. I may not do anything here in Calif - just wait until I get to New Mexico. I expect to pay less in NMex than in Cal, but Cal shops may have better resources. But, maybe not. NMex may be as good and cheaper. Driving a nice car like the LS 400 is a nice 800 mile drive from Cal to NMex. It would feel better if the car didn't have the paint blemishes. We'll see. Whenever I come across an LS series out there that is poorly cared for it embarrasses me and my car. I don't want to be guilty of the same look.