LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heat won't work 94 LS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 03:10 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
best just to just replace it rather than mess with a repair. you don't have to purchase new, you can go to a junkyard and grab a non-leaking piece.
I second this thought.
Old 06-27-17, 07:54 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
best just to just replace it rather than mess with a repair. you don't have to purchase new, you can go to a junkyard and grab a non-leaking piece.
Good idea! I didn't think about getting one at a junk yard. Ill see what I can find and report back.
Old 06-28-17, 11:30 AM
Silent14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great updates. Keep us posted.
Old 06-30-17, 08:07 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Smile Heater control valve replaced and coolant flushed

Update: I just got done with a coolant system overhaul today. Flushed out the coolant 3 times, and replaced with genuine toyota red coolant. I also replaced my heater control valve with a $30 one off Amazon. I figured it'd be better to get it new since its a cheap plastic part that will probably fail again. I replaced my thermostat as well. Didn't go OEM, which I should've. Instead, I just went to autozone and got a MotoRad thermostat. All said and done, and no more leaking from the control valve, however the cable still wont pull the control valve, so more investigation on that soon. Also, my temp gauge still only reads just a hair past the first tick, so I know it isn't the thermostat. And I change my coolant temp sensor, so it isn't that either. I had a look at this topic over on this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...uge-issue.html so maybe its my temp gauge sensor? part number: 83420-20040. I guess I'll do more digging, but honestly I'll just leave it as is for now. If I see it smoking out the hood, then I'll know its too hot.. lol
Old 07-01-17, 02:07 PM
westopill
Intermediate

I found a way to make the control valve cable work. I took the cable off the clamp and wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around it. Then clamped it back in and now its in working order again. The issue was that the black casing around the metal cable would move instead of the cable itself. The arrow indicates where i wrapped electrical tape around it and then clamped it back in. Super easy fix!
Old 07-02-17, 08:49 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Nice work.Good you got it fixed before you actually need it. Not like my AC. It's now too hot most days to crawl up in there and fix the servo motors I need.
Old 07-05-17, 06:56 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Default Another Update: Car is thirsty for coolant, must be leaking/blown heater core. :/

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to think I have fixed this issue, the coolant level just won't stay where it should. There are no visible leaks anywhere outside the vehicle, so my only guess is a bad heater core. There are stains on the passenger side carpet, and those previous photos of coolant leaking on the panel above the floor are also sufficient evidence. Hopefully this thread help others who are trying to trace out what their heat issues are, because I sure went through everything to make sure. I'm going to have to get intimate with the car this summer/fall to fix the issue before winter comes. If anyone has any advice on how to go about replacing the heater core, I'm all ears.
Old 07-06-17, 09:54 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by westopill
. If anyone has any advice on how to go about replacing the heater core, I'm all ears.
Best bet is either buy or download the service manual. If I didn't have mine I woulda went NUTS.Keep all the nuts and bolts separated. There's alot. I used zip
lock bags and labeled them.

These are the page numbers (in volume 2)

Heater unit and blower unit:
AC 109
AC 103-104
Ducts:
AC 152-155

Dash pad:
BO 158-169
The following users liked this post:
westopill (07-06-17)
Old 07-06-17, 11:40 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Best bet is either buy or download the service manual. If I didn't have mine I woulda went NUTS.Keep all the nuts and bolts separated. There's alot. I used zip
lock bags and labeled them.

These are the page numbers (in volume 2)

Heater unit and blower unit:
AC 109
AC 103-104
Ducts:
AC 152-155

Dash pad:
BO 158-169
Thank you! By service manual you mean like a Hanes repair manual, or is this a OEM Lexus manual?
Old 07-06-17, 06:18 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Thank you! By service manual you mean like a Hanes repair manual, or is this a OEM Lexus manual?
Not Haynes. Not enough info in those.That just says "remove this, remove that" but it doesn't say how to remove it. Go dealer manual. It tells you in detail how many nuts, bolts, screws, etc., and where they are located. You're doing other work on your car so it will pay for itself in time saved, and knowledge.
Here's the one ya need (2 volumes) but I'm sure if you look around you can even find one cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Lexus-L...RXB5gN&vxp=mtr
Other members have downloaded it but not sure where.
Old 07-06-17, 07:46 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Not Haynes. Not enough info in those.That just says "remove this, remove that" but it doesn't say how to remove it. Go dealer manual. It tells you in detail how many nuts, bolts, screws, etc., and where they are located. You're doing other work on your car so it will pay for itself in time saved, and knowledge.
Here's the one ya need (2 volumes) but I'm sure if you look around you can even find one cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Lexus-L...RXB5gN&vxp=mtr
Other members have downloaded it but not sure where.
Good to know. I'll probably be doing the timing belt next summer, so having that manual would be of great help. Just wish it wasn't so expensive. :/ I'll keep on the lookout for a good deal.
Old 11-09-17, 10:54 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Hey all, its been a while. I just recently picked up volumes 1 & 2 for my LS for only $50, and they're in brand new condition!! I'm excited to get going on my car, but It'll have to wait until winter is over unfortunately since I live in MN. I plan on doing either my timing belt, or the heater core next summer, so look out for that in the coming year!
Old 11-09-17, 12:19 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Upon further investigation, I found that whenever the control valve is open, it leaks a lot of coolant where the lever arm attaches by the screw to the control valve itself. At this point, I'm just considering buying a new one unless I can somehow stop the leak? I found this aftermarket part on https://www.amazon.com/MTC-1010166-8...rds=8724050010 I'm not trying to spend $100 on this part.
Don't use aftermarket anything..mostly pure crap. ....read the horror stories im other postings.

Don't forget to replace hoses...using OEM formed parts...

Do not use a junkyard part...the internal rubber seals are 20 plus years old and are gonna leak.