LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 antenna replacement / stuck mast

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 06:00 PM
chrissn3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls400 antenna replacement / stuck mast

I have started to replace the antenna on my daughter's car. It would not go up or down. She took it to the car wash and it snapped. Anyways I got the teeth out of that black assembly, but I can't get the end of the mast out as seen in picture. I took this apart to get the plastic antenna teeth/line out.
I have so far not been able to get the antenna end out with the screw threads.

Old 06-10-17, 06:10 PM
chrissn3
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls400 antenna replacement / stuck mast

I have started to replace the antenna on my daughter's car. It would not go up or down. She took it to the car wash and it snapped. Anyways I got the teeth out of that black assembly, but I can't get the end of the mast out as seen in picture. I took this apart to get the plastic antenna teeth/line out.
I have so far not been able to get the antenna end out with the screw threads.

Old 06-10-17, 10:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I think the plastic sleeve is holding it, see the new one in the kit.
Old 06-11-17, 11:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

duplicate threads merged
Old 06-12-17, 02:34 PM
chrissn3
Driver School Candidate

Default sorry for the duplicate posting

I tried deleting, but didn't see a way too. I originally posted with my phone and somehow it went through twice.
I had a buddy from church get the rest of the antenna out, because I couldn't. I then was putting the new mast in and that wouldn't fit through the tube. The motor was taking the line, but I couldn't get the mast in. I have decided I am done wasting lots of time and frustration on the antenna mast. I am never doing it that way again. Now I have to buy the whole assembly, costing me nearly double now. I should have never just bought the mast. Way too much frustration. That tube must be corroded or something. I went to 3 different auto parts stores. All they had in there system was the mast. They sell aftermarket power antennas for $62 in their stores. I was tempted to just buy a non powered short rubber one, but the one my wife has on her rav4 broke in the car wash.
Old 06-12-17, 04:22 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go with an OEM one rather than an after market. When I broke mine (Lol hit the top of my garage door and snapped) I was looking into after market ones but people only seem to get a month or two out of them before they break.
Old 06-20-17, 07:47 PM
chrissn3
Driver School Candidate

Default I bought one at Autozone

After all of that frustration, I ended up going to Autozone. I bought a $10 flexible, black, non powered, rubber antenna that is working well. A plus is that you can unscrew it, if you think the car wash will bust it.