LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 overheating with possible related issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 01:21 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
The original radiators themselves usually have a lifespan from 160-220K with most being replaced about 180K miles, the hoses would be replaced as well.

Next is the heater valve check for any leakage by the firewall.
Uh-oh, I'm at 219K still with original. Does that mean I'm in trouble? JK
I agree with RA40 on where the leaks could be and would also add the heater core itself. (inside under passenger side dash) This can go unnoticed if you don't have any passengers, or if they're just not observant. If the HC leaks the floor would be wet and you might hear the coolant sloshing around in the heater ducts under the dash.
If the tank was empty and you added a gallon I would say you have alot of air in the system which needs to be bled out. With the air in there it will make the gauge go to the top like it's overheating, but actually not be that hot.
The following users liked this post:
RA40 (08-18-21)
Old 08-18-21, 03:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 469 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Uh-oh, I'm at 219K still with original. Does that mean I'm in trouble? JK
With good coolant service routines they can probably go quite long. Ours was in for the 200K TB service when the top tank seal had just started to leak.

For the OP, get a good radiator if needing to be replaced. I have an aftermarket Denso which was about $100 difference from a Toyota Denso. While bleeding make sure the heater is turned on so that the whole system is purged of any air.
Old 09-08-21, 01:47 PM
FlufferNut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. changed the thermostat. Issue resolved.
It's like when at a friends house and their tv won't turn on. Is it plugged in?
Old 07-22-23, 06:16 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by RA40
With good coolant service routines they can probably go quite long. Ours was in for the 200K TB service when the top tank seal had just started to leak.

For the OP, get a good radiator if needing to be replaced. I have an aftermarket Denso which was about $100 difference from a Toyota Denso. While bleeding make sure the heater is turned on so that the whole system is purged of any air.
How is that denso doing? I broke the infamous nipple off OEM and rockauto rad isnt cooling.I have 100F heat and drive up a mtn from 1200 feet to 5500 feet in 20 minutes,pretty severe duty.OEM was rock solid being just above centerline on gauge,new rad its getting up there,not driving it in heat presently.Only goes wonky in very hot drive up hill,otherwise fine.

oem is going to cost 516 dollars,is it what i need? if so,i will get that.I ordered from LexusPartsNow and after reading reviews i wonder just how oem a 'genuine lexus' part is,shouldnt it be toyota? 417 bucks with them right now and they are only 40 miles from me,if i get their infamous 2 weeks to ship im smelling a slow boat from china involved....?

Last edited by spuds; 07-22-23 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-22-23, 06:45 PM
cj98ls
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Curious, is the rockauto radiator you mentioned the Denso branded radiator? It is significantly cheaper (@ $107) than the "Genuine Lexus" that is listed at LexusPartsNow. LPN has it listed for $365 for the -50150 version but that part doesn't appear to be available at "normal" Lexus parts outlets that I've looked at. Is $50 their shipping charge for the radiator? And where did you find the oem for $516? Asking because my '98 may well be needing one before long.
spuds (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 06:59 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 322 Posts

RE: LPN

2 weeks is not enough time to ship on a boat from china. Shanghai to Long Beach is 12 days, plus handling time at both ends. It's closer to 3, usually 4 weeks since it might not load onto the boat on the final stop before it departs to the USA. These boats often make multiple stops at different Chinese ports, loading cargo at multiple ports before departing.

I've never had that experience from LPN. Typically I'd say it's 3-5 days for me to get it, 1000 miles away from their California warehouse.

________

Also, on the topic of radiators, anyone have any tips for cleaning out the fins? Mine are clogged full of 25 years of dust\bugs\grime. My plan was to just low pressure garden hose it with my thumb to not damage the fins, like I do to my household a\c radiator. I can drive the car @ full tilt up a 6% grade & never have temp issues, but in traffic I have started noticing the cooling fan clutch starting to engage more and more often to keep the car cool.

Shipping costs for such a big\heavy part mean it will be expensive. I'd be wary of the $150 special, since half of that cost is going to shipping... If you can score one from a local warehouse\dealer with local pickup that might make a lot more sense. But when you have to ship an enormous 20lb metal box cross-country, that **** isn't cheap. amayama wants $420\465 for the OEM radiator, plus shipping. I would imagine the crazy price discrepancy is that the OEM unit isn't in production anymore and stocks are getting low, thus, driving prices up. Keep up with your coolant changes! Or you'll pay for it in the end...

Last edited by 400fanboy; 07-22-23 at 07:12 PM.
spuds (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 08:16 PM
bradland

Received 656 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds;[url=tel:11546159
11546159[/url]]How is that denso doing? I broke the infamous nipple off OEM and rockauto rad isnt cooling.I have 100F heat and drive up a mtn from 1200 feet to 5500 feet in 20 minutes,pretty severe duty.OEM was rock solid being just above centerline on gauge,new rad its getting up there,not driving it in heat presently.Only goes wonky in very hot drive up hill,otherwise fine.

oem is going to cost 516 dollars,is it what i need? if so,i will get that.I ordered from LexusPartsNow and after reading reviews i wonder just how oem a 'genuine lexus' part is,shouldnt it be toyota? 417 bucks with them right now and they are only 40 miles from me,if i get their infamous 2 weeks to ship im smelling a slow boat from china involved....?
Check the basics first Spuds the rad might not be the culprit.
I’d prob replace the thermostat first, it could be sticking and they’re cheap.
Also, as fanboy mentioned start paying close attention to the fan/clutch operation pre post and during the ascent.
spuds (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 08:51 PM
spuds
Racer

Thumbs up

yes,it was a 60 dollar denso from rock auto.Guess i answered own question on will denso work.Again folks,im putting a serious load on car coming up this mtn.I did the engine fill trick,hot water heat is fine.Amayama has the oem for 516 with shipping.Ran perfect changed radiator,now not cooling right from get-go,doesnt jive with a thermostat failure at same time but cant hurt replacing it for sure,when job done i will start with that,fluid level on line,toyota premixed fluid.Also I will
recheck filled properly,but heater is a monster,works great.Only overheats under hard load,pretty much OK, up a little in town 100f temps.Seems both fans running last i checked coming up hill,will check again,the fans are loud like normal when both running and blowing off a LOT of heat.LPN is 319,75 shipping,plus tax,419 total.

Guess it looks like install LPN,if not up to snuff get oem.I will photograph real well what lpn sends and folks can tell me their opinion if oem or not.Whatever is going on,hot wont cut it and do not want to kill this fine running car.

Have you seen real oem marked genuine lexus?I just ordered upper control arms,lower ball joints and strut mounts and all say TOYOTA.They get installed this week,about 1500 in parts from Longo Lexus but dang am i impressed with the quality.
Old 07-22-23, 09:02 PM
400fanboy
Racer

While the fan clutch is important, even when I'm doing even more aggressive mountain climbs than Spuds does, my fan never engages fully. It's frankly never even audible in the mountains, at speed (30-60mph). The only times it's audible is in stop & go traffic in the summer, or other times with extended 0mph stationary periods.

My point being, Spuds, as long as you get the whirr of the fan after you take off from a stoplight after being stationary for 2 minutes, and it's otherwise quiet, I would hazard a guess that the fan clutch isn't the reason of your temps climbing up the mountain.

It's also my understanding that the fan clutch (should, but not always) fail in the fully engaged position. Where it is fully engaged all the time and sounds like a diesel box truck.

IIRC only small\lightweight components come in boxes. The boxes are all the standard red\white Toyota\Lexus we've all seen before. IIRC, the suspension components all come in plastic bags with a sticker on them.
spuds (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 09:16 PM
spuds
Racer

I agree,fans seemed fine when ive checked,and quiet like normal until temp climbs and both working,then normal audible whrrrr.

And yes,OEM radiator never heated up going up hill,only to centerline, right past centerline and whhhrrr here comes the extra fan and functioned perfectly,never beyond that centerline plus a smidge.

Last edited by spuds; 07-22-23 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-22-23, 09:35 PM
spuds
Racer

Yes,I should do a diag on fan function,it may have changed.But its hotter than Hades here recently after a winter blizzard of worst in 50 years.
Old 07-22-23, 09:54 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
While the fan clutch is important, even when I'm doing even more aggressive mountain climbs than Spuds does, my fan never engages fully. It's frankly never even audible in the mountains, at speed (30-60mph).
Im doing 15 to 55 mph,lots of slow steep switchbacks then up to 55mph and lots of tranny shifting.Much closer to Pikes Peak vrs interstate passes.Its a load and Lex handled it great,now its far from great.

I need oil and tranny partial change for sure,dang but dont like that killer heat.

So bottom line,assess fans,thermostat,lpn rad,new toyota fluid,use engine top plug fill.Will do,thanks peoples,appreciated.If new rad is crappy,OEM here i come.
Old 07-22-23, 10:05 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Yeah I do roads like that all the time in my car. I usually leave it in 3rd the whole time except for the 10mph hairpins. Easier on the transmission so it's not shifting so often. And it's hard to force the 3-2 kickdown anyway.

Never had any overheating problems, even at 8000ft altitude and 90 degree temps and sunlight and air conditioning. 10 or 15 miles of full throttle pulls, running the car out to 4000 or 5000rpm gaining several thousand feet of altitude elevation. Never once had temp issues. Your car should be able to do it just fine.

If coolant is fine, no rust, no air in the system, if water pump is fine (probably is), thermostat is probably fine if you change that w\ timing belt but best to address anyway. It's possible it's instrumentation failure, but if the overheating is in-sync with your fan clutch engaging then I would rule that out. The only thing that's left after that is the radiator right? The cooling system is pretty simple.
spuds (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 10:13 PM
spuds
Racer

Agree 100%,think thats exactly what we will find.Hell yeah,I NEVER managed to move that temp gauge from factory new level.And now heat is pouring off her,fans whizzing away,took groceries from trunk,engine still running and i was getting heat blasted,its hot!

Sure sounds like rad to me,especially the history of failing after oem replaced with rock auto denso.All fluids OEM and clean.Ive been treating this car well,needs something it gets it and trying to use only oem.I thought denso WAS OE,but i dont think its up to oem,not what my experience is turning into.Maybe its a dud denso?

Cool,lets hope new rad does the trick.
400fanboy (07-22-23)
Old 07-23-23, 09:07 AM
spuds
Racer

Might anyone have a picture or knows what markings we can look for on salvage yard radiators so we can find oem used in the wild?

Quick Reply: 1995 LS400 overheating with possible related issues...