LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help reinstalling strut rod 1990

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 11:40 PM
tiptonaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help reinstalling strut rod 1990

My car was hit while it was parked outside my house and my lower control arm was bent. I bought a used one off eBay and am having a heck of a time trying to reinstall the strut rod into the LCA. The bolts will simply not line up with the holes in the LCA. I've tried everything I can think of - adjusting camber bolts, adjusting the strut rod itself, pushing/pulling/hammering. I can't figure it out. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 02-08-17, 12:02 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tiptonaj
My car was hit while it was parked outside my house and my lower control arm was bent. I bought a used one off eBay and am having a heck of a time trying to reinstall the strut rod into the LCA. The bolts will simply not line up with the holes in the LCA. I've tried everything I can think of - adjusting camber bolts, adjusting the strut rod itself, pushing/pulling/hammering. I can't figure it out. Is there something I'm missing?
Little bit off topic but did you file a police report? Also you think insurance would probably cover it?
Old 02-08-17, 12:25 AM
tiptonaj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by winter4w
Little bit off topic but did you file a police report? Also you think insurance would probably cover it?
I actually tried to get the guy's info, he had cracked his rim in half and couldn't' drive away. He wouldn't give it to me and the cops showed up shortly after. They gave me a police report, I filed a claim. But I don't have collision coverage on my insurance, so... that's that.
Old 02-08-17, 12:49 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

I actually tried to get the guy's info, he had cracked his rim in half and couldn't' drive away. He wouldn't give it to me and the cops showed up shortly after. They gave me a police report, I filed a claim. But I don't have collision coverage on my insurance, so... that's that.
Well since he hit you he is at fault meaning that his insurance should be paying to get your car fixed. That is odd on how he gave you no info. Did you get his insurance company if so call them up and send them the police report.
Old 02-08-17, 07:32 AM
BNastee
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Try putting the LCA - strut rod bolts in first. Leave them loose. Then tighten the front.

Rich
Old 02-08-17, 09:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like something else is bent, either int he suspension (check LCA/TRE/UCA) or the mounting points for the strut rods.

You're using your insurance wrong.
Old 02-08-17, 11:51 PM
tiptonaj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Sounds like something else is bent, either int he suspension (check LCA/TRE/UCA) or the mounting points for the strut rods.

You're using your insurance wrong.
The strut rod mount is deformed, and the bushing is toast. I've ordered those parts and they're on the way.

I have the minimum required insurance for my state. I don't have collision coverage, my car cost me $800 - hence me going through all this trouble to avoid a shop. My insurer told me there's nothing to be done, as the other driver was not insured.
Old 02-09-17, 12:00 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

The strut rod mount is deformed, and the bushing is toast. I've ordered those parts and they're on the way.

I have the minimum required insurance for my state. I don't have collision coverage, my car cost me $800 - hence me going through all this trouble to avoid a shop. My insurer told me there's nothing to be done, as the other driver was not insured.
Ahh now that makes sense. If he was insured he would be paying for it. If you live in a state that requires car insurance could file a lawsuit against him.
Old 02-09-17, 07:42 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the minimum required insurance for my state.... as the other driver was not insured.
So your state requires liability insurance (are there states that don't?) but the guy that hit you didn't have any? Regardless, not having insurance doesn't absolve him of his liability, so I'd take him to small claims court for the damages if he doesn't have insurance.
Old 02-09-17, 06:22 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mappo
So your state requires liability insurance (are there states that don't?) but the guy that hit you didn't have any? Regardless, not having insurance doesn't absolve him of his liability, so I'd take him to small claims court for the damages if he doesn't have insurance.
Yea two states don't require it:

New Hampshire and Virginia do not require motor vehicle insurance. In New Hampshire vehicle owners must satisfy a personal responsibility requirement; instead of paying monthly premiums, and prove that they are capable of paying in case of an accident. In Virginia vehicle owners may pay an uninsured motorist fee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States
Old 02-09-17, 08:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

So if the car was hit then I'm sure there is more than a control arm bent. I would for sure think the fender is gone as well. And if anyones insurance is used your car is then instant salvage title. Unless you can some how force the fact that it is now a collector status vehicle that has a 20K replacement value. I think the key to make everything fit, is going to be to loosen all the associated bolts up. Aren't there 4 on the bracket that hold the diagonal strut support to the front of the unibody frame? Also loosen up the big nuts, check for more out of alignment parts or the unibody frame itself. Every thing needs to be floppy around loose to get things lined up in some cases.

Last edited by dicer; 02-09-17 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 09:03 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
Ahh now that makes sense. If he was insured he would be paying for it. If you live in a state that requires car insurance could file a lawsuit against him.
If the guy's a lowlife, there is just no money to be found. This sort of thing happened to me a long time ago in California, where insurance is required and we have more lawyers than legal residents (not really).

While driving down the street on my way to work one morning, a lady suddenly stopped and backed into me right in front of a police station. Police were right there, witnesses, she admitted it, my motorcycle was totaled, I was injured. Absolutely no recourse for me other than to deal with it. Good lesson, though.
Old 02-09-17, 09:33 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
If the guy's a lowlife, there is just no money to be found. This sort of thing happened to me a long time ago in California, where insurance is required and we have more lawyers than legal residents (not really).

While driving down the street on my way to work one morning, a lady suddenly stopped and backed into me right in front of a police station. Police were right there, witnesses, she admitted it, my motorcycle was totaled, I was injured. Absolutely no recourse for me other than to deal with it. Good lesson, though.
Wow that sucks. Did you talk to your insurance or press charges on her?

I've read some stories online with people that have dash cams that have been involved in hit and runs. Most of the time they are caught of course but a few people started since they had clear evidence of the person their own insurance covered them without any harm to their deductible. I think after that step your insurance goes after the guy.
Old 02-10-17, 12:26 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

This is why you have uninsured motorist policies.
Old 02-10-17, 02:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
This is why you have uninsured motorist policies.
Yup. Have used it twice on two instances. Trying to get payment from a prior insurance on an uninsured claim took us almost a year.

Quick Reply: Help reinstalling strut rod 1990