LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

regaining lost performance sluggish-ness

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 11:49 PM
Quadprop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regaining lost performance sluggish-ness

so a few weeks ago i got a 1992 ls400 i love it. i have always liked toyota and never driven a lexus, the first speed bump i hit i was instantly sold, forty mph and didnt feel a thing. i got the car from a older couple the man drove it into the ground then parked it, meaning no power steering, exhaust literally dangling on the ground for so long the honeycombs in the cats were disloged. the car has 268xxx miles but fires right up sounds good other than the exhaust rattle, no weird noises. the problem i was having was it had no power... so far i have removed the broken parts of the cat, left the remaining intact layer there as i have to take emissions. but got the exhaust clear and up under the car again. i cleaned maf. throttle body and the iac valve and it still fires right up and i have way more power than i did but i feel like it has more... what next fuel filter air filter injectors?...

i apologize if this is incorrectly

posted i am still trying to figure my way around the site thanks
i have a 93 chevy with the 454 header tru duel exhaust i'd kinda like to do a burnout every once in while in this... thoughts...

Last edited by Quadprop; 08-31-16 at 12:07 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 08-31-16, 12:04 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

The 2-LS faqi is applicable for many of the fixes:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...questions.html

In particular the coolant temp sensor comes to mind as one to swap out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nging-too.html
Old 08-31-16, 04:43 AM
AaronUCF11
Rookie

I regained lost performance with coolant temp sensor replacement. Hasnt seem to have effected fuel economy much unfortunately. Fuel filter would also be a good idea. Air filter is cheap to replace.
Old 08-31-16, 07:03 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
The 2-LS faqi is applicable for many of the fixes:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...questions.html

In particular the coolant temp sensor comes to mind as one to swap out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nging-too.html
Why in all the world would you send someone to that second thread that had 12 pages and absolutely no resolution?
Old 08-31-16, 08:08 AM
abubatata
Driver School Candidate

If it has been sitting for a while I recommend doing a couple rounds of seafoam treatment. Its great for cleaning and good on performance & mpg. Also replacing spark plugs and cables would be a good idea along with coolant temp sensor because it is in the same area.
Old 08-31-16, 09:59 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Why in all the world would you send someone to that second thread that had 12 pages and absolutely no resolution?
It is one of the ones within the subject that has additional thoughts about the ECT. The other ECT discussions do come up with more concise info and are within the FAQ. This one is better:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-in-1-fix.html
Old 08-31-16, 11:39 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

bear in mind that these cars are heavy and a 4 liter v8 will feel sluggish compared to lots of cars today. jumping from a 4-cyl TSX to my LS is a night and day difference from the braking to the acceleration, but the LS is tons more smooth. my point is to not expect too much from the old gal as she is fat with an old heart (which can still do burnouts if pushed correctly).
Old 08-31-16, 12:57 PM
Quadprop
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the replies the coolant temp sensor is one i never would have tried, but certainly will now! Thanks. and yeah my truck is benz eater it halls *** untill the needle is barried and keeps going but thats a bigblock you know what they say "there is no replacement for displacement". its so much nicer driving the lexus over a 3/4 chevy in the city of seattle ha.

thanks again for all the replies ill do the coolant temp sensor, fuel/air filter and run some seafoam or maybe the lucas stuff (a partial to lucas products)
Old 08-31-16, 03:14 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

You can not CLEAN the maf, other wise known as the air meter, any attempt to clean it will make it non usable. So if your other attempts to make it run good and it doesn't then it maybe the airmeter.
Old 08-31-16, 03:46 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

And once you've done all the basics and caught up on the maintenance, you probably want to visit here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html

With the age and miles on your vehicle, it might very well be a contributor.
Old 09-01-16, 01:57 AM
AaronUCF11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Legender
And once you've done all the basics and caught up on the maintenance, you probably want to visit here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html

With the age and miles on your vehicle, it might very well be a contributor.
i dont think milage has much bearing on the capacitors, more the age.
Old 09-01-16, 05:26 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
You can not CLEAN the maf, other wise known as the air meter, any attempt to clean it will make it non usable. So if your other attempts to make it run good and it doesn't then it maybe the airmeter.
89-94 had Karman-Vortex Air Flow Meterrs (AFMs), they cannot be cleaned other than by carefully blowing air to dust it (computer duster would work fine) or possibly a clean cotton cloth to clean the "window" inside.

95+ cars had hot wire MAFs, which can be cleaned (carefully) with proper MAF cleaner just fine. Depending on how dirty the MAF is the effect can be profound.
Old 09-01-16, 05:59 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronUCF11
i dont think milage has much bearing on the capacitors, more the age.
You are correct... more the age and the heat is may have suffered through. Southeastern cars seem more prone to the problem than cars from up north. Still worth checking.
Old 09-02-16, 07:25 PM
Quadprop
Driver School Candidate

well air filter and lucas
yesterday and i just did the ect. felt pretty good around from the alley but ill know better in a while...
Old 09-03-16, 09:41 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
bear in mind that these cars are heavy and a 4 liter v8 will feel sluggish compared to lots of cars today. jumping from a 4-cyl TSX to my LS is a night and day difference from the braking to the acceleration, but the LS is tons more smooth. my point is to not expect too much from the old gal as she is fat with an old heart (which can still do burnouts if pushed correctly).
i'm gonna have to greatly disagree with you on that, if anything i'd say my LS feels far less sluggish than just about everything i've driven, ESPECIALLY compared to new cars. your throttle input in a modern car has so many computer decisions to go through they take much longer to actually get going... my car on the other hand just takes off right away as soon as you step on it. i haven't driven a pre 98 LS so maybe that's different but the engine in mine feels as lively as anything. while we're talking about acuras, my mom's 2016 MDX is probably one of the worst offenders out there. there is NO throttle response (the car literally holds back) until about 2500 rpm, which almost defeats the purpose of such a short 1st gear. same thing with the response when you try to make it kick down. it's got like 5 gears to shift through before you're in the powerband, whereas the LS is never more than 1 gear away from being able to easily and effortlessly pass someone. many times it doesn't even need to downshift, it just has torque all the time.

Quick Reply: regaining lost performance sluggish-ness