LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Headight ballast

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 01:39 PM
shmuliebz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headight ballast

My 2000 LS400 low beam headlights stopped working I think it is the ballast.
Does anyone know where I can find a reliable new replacement one?
Old 08-24-16, 03:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

9/10 its the bulb. Swap the bulbs from side to side to confirm the ballast is bad before you go looking for a replacement.

Morimoto makes good aftermarket D2R bulbs, otherwise new Phiips or Osram bulbs are OEM.
Old 08-24-16, 09:03 PM
shmuliebz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
9/10 its the bulb. Swap the bulbs from side to side to confirm the ballast is bad before you go looking for a replacement.

Morimoto makes good aftermarket D2R bulbs, otherwise new Phiips or Osram bulbs are OEM.
That's what I thought originally and I bought a new bulb and installed it then realized it wasn't the bulb and it had to be the ballast
Old 08-24-16, 11:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

swap the bulbs. Getting a dead replacement bulb (especially when it's a cheaper one) is more likely than a dead OEM ballast.

Regardless, a used ballast off ebay should be fine, just buy one for 98-00 LS400 (presuming that's what you have).
Old 08-25-16, 06:01 AM
shmuliebz
Driver School Candidate

swap the bulbs. Getting a dead replacement bulb (especially when it's a cheaper one) is more likely than a dead OEM ballast.

Regardless, a used ballast off ebay should be fine, just buy one for 98-00 LS400 (presuming that's what you have).
yeah that's what I did next and the bulb did work.
I just took out the whole ballast and I looked inside and it is rusty. I'm pretty sure it is the problem.

the used ones on ebay don't look like they're in great condition do you think I can just use the ballast from this kit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autovizion-3...8ucgAA&vxp=mtr

Old 08-25-16, 03:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Those cheap ballasts are complete and utter crap, and won't plug into your factory harness anyway. There are very few decent ballasts coming out of china, most being made by either Morimoto or DLT.

The denso ballasts in the LS are extremely high quality, and water intrusion is pretty much the only thing that kills them. Later model OEM denso units are considered top of the line for HID retrofitters, with the only difference being later ones are slimmer.

Here's a nice, corrosion free stock replacement that will replace what is in your car. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-Le.../322228125685?

Again, do NOT buy a generic replacement, do NOT buy a "DDLT" knockoff of the OEM. The OEM denso ballasts are great, just buy one that's been kept reasonably dry.
Old 08-25-16, 04:15 PM
shmuliebz
Driver School Candidate

Those cheap ballasts are complete and utter crap, and won't plug into your factory harness anyway. There are very few decent ballasts coming out of china, most being made by either Morimoto or DLT.

The denso ballasts in the LS are extremely high quality, and water intrusion is pretty much the only thing that kills them. Later model OEM denso units are considered top of the line for HID retrofitters, with the only difference being later ones are slimmer.

Here's a nice, corrosion free stock replacement that will replace what is in your car. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-Le.../322228125685?

Again, do NOT buy a generic replacement, do NOT buy a "DDLT" knockoff of the OEM. The OEM denso ballasts are great, just buy one that's been kept reasonably dry.
Thanks I definitely won't get that cheap one.
The problem is knowing if it was "kept reasonably dry" I don't want to spend $60 and then find it doesn't work in a couple months
It looks like the ballast was already replaced once as it is not even the correct model (it is a 41010 when it should be a 50010) and it actually was falling off when I took out the headlight and doesn't fit in correctly.

Any other options for if I wanted an actual new ballast?

Old 08-25-16, 06:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

By reasonably dry I mean don't drive your car through lakes. Regular rain and storms are perfectly fine, the headlights are placed as such that they don't really get the ballasts wet. Even used OEM ones will last you.

The fact you have a 41010 ballast (commonly found in early LS430s) is an indicator the car wasn't properly looked after or the previous owner made a mistake. Buy a used one with a warranty if you are worried. otherwise an OEM lexus unit is ~$400+ new.
Old 08-25-16, 07:05 PM
shmuliebz
Driver School Candidate

By reasonably dry I mean don't drive your car through lakes. Regular rain and storms are perfectly fine, the headlights are placed as such that they don't really get the ballasts wet. Even used OEM ones will last you.

The fact you have a 41010 ballast (commonly found in early LS430s) is an indicator the car wasn't properly looked after or the previous owner made a mistake. Buy a used one with a warranty if you are worried. otherwise an OEM lexus unit is ~$400+ new.
ok thanks for all your help!
I guess I'll just try the one you found on ebay.

It was my dad's car before he passed and he didn't know much about it to even check if the mechanic put in the right one he was a very trusting person and unfortunately a lot of people took advantage of that.
Old 08-25-16, 08:35 PM
shmuliebz
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if it's a coincidence but it went out right after I changed the fog light underneath it

Last edited by shmuliebz; 08-25-16 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 09:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

yep, a common albeit invasive mod for retrofitters using denso ballasts is to "Pot" them with a special nonconductive epoxy, but that isn't necessary for a stock unit using in a stock location.

changing the fog was likely coincidental, unless you did something like not put the splash shield under the car back on and drive around some huge puddles constantly.
Old 08-26-16, 09:23 AM
apolloauto
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apollo Auto Lights

Good Morning,
I am Mayra from apollo auto lights i saw the problem you're having with your headlight there are a few tips that will help determine your problem.
One is to check out your headlight to make sure there is no water leakage that is going in causing the headlight to stop working the second one the ballast
is old and you need a new one if you're still looking for a ballast you can look at our website www.apolloautolights.com we have a ballast for your vehicle.
Old 08-27-16, 03:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by apolloauto
Good Morning,
I am Mayra from apollo auto lights i saw the problem you're having with your headlight there are a few tips that will help determine your problem.
One is to check out your headlight to make sure there is no water leakage that is going in causing the headlight to stop working the second one the ballast
is old and you need a new one if you're still looking for a ballast you can look at our website www.apolloautolights.com we have a ballast for your vehicle.
looks like this is what would work on a '98-00 LS. http://apolloautolights.com/index.ph...product_id=714

Price seems a bit high for what is just a used stock unit.
Old 08-29-16, 09:05 AM
apolloauto
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like this is what would work on a '98-00 LS. http://apolloautolights.com/index.ph...product_id=714

Price seems a bit high for what is just a used stock unit.
This is the correct link for the ballast http://apolloautolights.com/index.ph...roduct_id=1558 and the price is $52.00
Old 08-30-16, 09:50 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

could it be that the failed ballast was due to those butt connectors used on the power lines? not likely as I would think the butt connectors themselves would fail first and not the wires that powered the bulbs. never seen a failure like the one you pictured.

Quick Reply: Headight ballast