LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Negative grounding issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 12:07 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So not to grossly oversimplify things, but the flag terminal and A/C compressor grounding points are strictly grounds for the battery, correct? Nothing else is grounding to them besides the battery's negative terminal?

The reason I ask is since I'm getting ready to do the big 4 (more commonly known as big 3) wiring job (battery + to alt +, battery - to chassis, alt - to engine ground, engine ground to chassis). I had replaced my OEM terminal with a generic terminal (negative terminal stud broke, and lost its clamping force over time - was out of town so I just used it as a quick fix) awhile back. The issue I'm having now is the generic negative terminal also doesn't have enough clamping force to grab onto my side-post (OEM negative cable was too short after being cut, so relocated the battery terminal post with a side-post adapter), and just sort of freely wiggles around on the connection. It still maintains contact, but it's not what I consider to be a solid connection.

I was wondering if I could just disconnect/remove the negative terminal and cable altogether and rely on the new ground wire I'm running to a bolt on the strut tower.
Old 10-13-17, 07:40 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
So not to grossly oversimplify things, but the flag terminal and A/C compressor grounding points are strictly grounds for the battery, correct? Nothing else is grounding to them besides the battery's negative terminal?

The reason I ask is since I'm getting ready to do the big 4 (more commonly known as big 3) wiring job (battery + to alt +, battery - to chassis, alt - to engine ground, engine ground to chassis). I had replaced my OEM terminal with a generic terminal (negative terminal stud broke, and lost its clamping force over time - was out of town so I just used it as a quick fix) awhile back. The issue I'm having now is the generic negative terminal also doesn't have enough clamping force to grab onto my side-post (OEM negative cable was too short after being cut, so relocated the battery terminal post with a side-post adapter), and just sort of freely wiggles around on the connection. It still maintains contact, but it's not what I consider to be a solid connection.

I was wondering if I could just disconnect/remove the negative terminal and cable altogether and rely on the new ground wire I'm running to a bolt on the strut tower.
To the strut tower you say?

Anyone care to field this one?
Old 10-13-17, 11:36 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YODAONE
To the strut tower you say?

Anyone care to field this one?
Yeah, a lot of people I've talked to in car audio circles, and in general, suggested the strut tower since it's usually closest/easiest (shorter runs = less resistance, and so on) to get to from the battery in the engine compartment. It's also a major structural component on a unibody car which makes using it as a grounding point pretty close to a "frame ground."
Old 10-14-17, 09:08 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Yeah, a lot of people I've talked to in car audio circles, and in general, suggested the strut tower since it's usually closest/easiest (shorter runs = less resistance, and so on) to get to from the battery in the engine compartment. It's also a major structural component on a unibody car which makes using it as a grounding point pretty close to a "frame ground."

With LS400 the negative cable connects mid-point with flag lug aside the lower strut tower structure, and terminates at engine via the A.C. Compressor.

The starter is in engine block so a direct negative battery connection to engine block is important.

So bypassing the engiine by directly grounding to the top.of the strut tower is not recommended.

This project uses premium marine fine strand tin-plated 4 gauge, over stock unplated coppee thick strand 6 gauge (if.OEM had used 4 gauge, the marine 4 gauge cable is superior), significantly improved lugs and battery clamp to reduce resistance and increase current carrying capacity...so not necessary to reroute your negative ground.

If runnimg high amperage amplifiers then perhaps a direct negative cable to the unit would offer advantages

The A.C. Compressor clutches on our LS400's seem to last a long time...possibly because they have direct connection to negative battery terminal

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-14-17 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 11:02 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

With LS400 the negative cable connects mid-point with flag lug aside the lower strut tower structure, and terminates at engine via the A.C. Compressor.

The starter is in engine block so a direct negative battery connection to engine block is important.

So bypassing the engiine by directly grounding to the top.of the strut tower is not recommended.

This project uses premium marine fine strand tin-plated 4 gauge, over stock unplated coppee thick strand 6 gauge (if.OEM had used 4 gauge, the marine 4 gauge cable is superior), significantly improved lugs and battery clamp to reduce resistance and increase current carrying capacity...so not necessary to reroute your negative ground.

If runnimg high amperage amplifiers then perhaps a direct negative cable to the unit would offer advantages

The A.C. Compressor clutches on our LS400's seem to last a long time...possibly because they have direct connection to negative battery terminal
Ah okay, I didn't think of it that way. Looks like I'll probably just end up ordering this replacement cable and doing the strut tower bolt ground as more of a complementary addon. What are the odds you know how much slack there is with this cable? I'm using a standard Group 24 battery, instead of Group 24F, so my terminals sit an inch or so further up (closer to the middle of the battery) than stock.
Old 10-15-17, 09:05 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Final fitment

Attached is an image of improved 4 gauge battery cable (vs OEM 6 gauge) to ground (A.C. compressor stay) assembly.

Heavier 90 degree 5/16" stud hole tin-plated copper ground lug, crimped to 4 gauge marine cable with Tin-plated strands (fine)

Tin-plated center flag terminal with correct 1/4" stud hole to match the OEM ground screw.

Negative battery clamp is Tin-plated cast copper, with ground wire inserted into pre-soldered barrel which promotes increased current carrying capacity, eliminatrs corrosion creep and offers decreased resistance.

Should improve electrical/electronics system and engine/systems related performance over aged stock battery ground cable.

Finished negative battery post to ground cable assembly .....

P.M. me as to your interest
Installed the new cable assembly today.

Everything fit perfectly...better than new.

The new negative battery terminal clamping bolt required shortening to accommodate the plastic OEM negative clamp cover.

A Sharpie and Dremel tool remedied this. The original negative battery cable assembly in retirement.
QuickCable's negative battery clamp clamping bolt is too long, to allow OEM plastic cover to fit, so cutting is required.

Negative battery terminal clamp cover fits like a glove
Old 11-04-17, 03:53 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default An Update on replacement Negative Ground Cable

Installed the new cable assembly today.

Everything fit perfectly...better than new.

The new negative battery terminal clamping bolt required shortening to accommodate the plastic OEM negative clamp cover.

A Sharpie and Dremel tool remedied this. The original negative battery cable assembly in retirement.
QuickCable's negative battery clamp clamping bolt is too long, to allow OEM plastic cover to fit, so cutting is required.

Negative battery terminal clamp cover fits like a glove
The weather is turning cold in Chicago, so while running heater blower fan at medium-high, turned on rear defogger (big current draw...idle drops), front defogger (AC compressor and clutch), headlights, windshield wipers, radio (with volume down but CD player on)

The heater blower did not dip in RPM as before...(barely..)so an improvement.

This project began to resolve blower motor RPM drop: apparent wiring capacity bottleneck(s) or charging system deficiency...(my opinion)

The positive cables will receive attention as well.

Stay tuned....

Also, if anyone replacing their alternator then check out my post on using 2001-2003 LS430 130A (2004-2006 uses incompatible 4 wire plug) alternator. (more efficient wire and winding configuration)..literally plug and play for 1995-2000 LS400... 1990-1994 LS400? (if equivalent housing and mounting holes) utilizes different harness connector, but purchase contacts and correct connector shell from Lexus. (Contact Lexus to determine if same harness contact pins and use technician to verify correct contact wire orientation)

Last edited by YODAONE; 11-04-17 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 02:06 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know when the revised negative cable will be available to order from QuickCable?
Old 11-12-17, 07:12 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Do you know when the revised negative cable will be available to order from QuickCable?
P.M. me for availability. Thanks.
Old 05-24-18, 02:35 PM
smamas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P.M. me for availability. Thanks.
Is this cable available yet or can you buys the parts and assemble yourself?
Old 11-04-19, 12:29 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Negative grounding to alternator

Am in process of assembling parts to modify the Alternator postive terminal to battery cable to 4 gauge...

While researching vendors for the correct replacement postive alternator lug, came across a post regarding a Toyota 4-runner:

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...n-t4r-how.html

One thing that makes sense is to extend the main negative ground cable from the compressor stay to the alternator.

As it is now, LS400 alternators ground through the engine block via steel zinc-plated bolts and then to the negative battery cable.

In the article the author fastens an unplated copper lug directly to the Aluminum alternator housing which ignores dissimilar metal corrosion...

Also, QuickCable offers superior lugs and cabling over auto parts store stuff.

Will begin a separate post on upgrading alternator positive cable to 4 gauge tin-plated fine-strand marine grade cable.

Here is image of part I am seeking for that project:

Anyone know P.N. or where to acquire mating alternator positive terminal lug for Denso alternators used in LS400?
Old 11-12-19, 11:09 PM
Les916
Driver School Candidate

Default trying to identify a wire

hello fellow lexus buddies. first time posting but ive given trying to research and ive read alot of your guys posts. i know im ask the right ppl cause you guys are very knowledgable when it comes to these stuff. i have a 2001 lexus gs 300, by any chance does anybody know what is that other wire that is coming from the ignition with the trigger wire? that connects to the starter. i hope that makes sense. i noticed a grey plastic square attached to the engine blocknext to starter. is that where that wire is supposed to be connected? i hope i described it good enough so it can be solved. i have a no crank no start and believe that is the culprit. if you can include images, it would be appreciated. thanks guys.
Old 05-22-21, 12:18 AM
xty1ch
Driver School Candidate

Default Negative Grounding Connector

I'm new to this whole thing and I have a 1998 UCF20 LS400 and am almost finished getting the car running. I currently just need an OEM battery tray which I know are discontinued and can't source any locally (have tried junkyards, recycling areas for parts, etc), but the last thing is this one negative battery connection coming out of the harness from starter to battery terminal. I know you can just ground these anywhere to a ground however the access areas near it are little and far. I'm being told to try and find something called a "sheet metal clip" which is similarly used under the airbox on passenger front.

Any help or criticism will be appreciated haha thank you!
Old 11-23-22, 05:54 AM
ShelbyGT
6th Gear

Default I desperately need the main ground cable! How? Who? Where?? Please Help!

YODAONE!!! I have a 91 LS400.. I had a terrible negative cable and I foolishly change the cable but I didn't realize that you couldn't just put 2 cables together and ground them.. My car will not crank. All the lights, bells, whistles, radio come on but it will not crank.. The only thing it could be from the research I have done on this forum, ( and I have read hundreds of posts) is that I am not getting a proper ground. (It has done this once before, and it was not grounded properly). Please tell me how to go about getting that special cable! I MISS DRIVING MY CAR!!!!
Old 11-23-22, 02:51 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ShelbyGT
YODAONE!!! I have a 91 LS400.. I had a terrible negative cable and I foolishly change the cable but I didn't realize that you couldn't just put 2 cables together and ground them.. My car will not crank. All the lights, bells, whistles, radio come on but it will not crank.. The only thing it could be from the research I have done on this forum, ( and I have read hundreds of posts) is that I am not getting a proper ground. (It has done this once before, and it was not grounded properly). Please tell me how to go about getting that special cable! I MISS DRIVING MY CAR!!!!
I could be wrong but this sounds like you might have set the alarm. I had the same symptoms on my old 93 a couple times when the alarm got set. Try unlocking the passenger front door with the key twice. That resets the alarm. Just a thought.