LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this the death sentence to all 1st gen LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 04:17 PM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Is this the death sentence to all 1st gen LS400?

Hey gang,

So, after scouring the earth to find knock sensor harness, I only found out that it is no longer made for 1st gen LS. No one in the universe makes it, and no store anywhere on this planet has it.

That means that should any one of us need one (like myself for instance), we are only left with a possibility of finding a used one from another LS, which is likely just as old and brittle as ours.

No other harness is compatible. It HAS to be the one made specifically for the 1st gen LS. It seems that all 1st gen LS's use the same one.

Since many Toyotas and Lexuses use the same knock sensors, I am thinking that maybe we could improvise these wires from some other harness that is most similar to it? Ours (1st gen) has four contacts: two for knock sensors, one to the starter (which should also be the same on many other cars, right?) and one to the engine harness - plugs into it right at the firewall.

What do you guys think? Should we contact some independent shop that makes wires by order and make a group order? I mean, it is just a well insulated piece of wire with four contacts after all... how hard can it be to make one?

If we do not come up with a solution, we are destined to junk our cars the first time they develop knock sensor wire problems, and I would hate to do that.
Old 01-25-16, 04:40 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine if there is enough demand, somebody will manufacture this harness at some point in the future.

You can try contacting these guys;
http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...9c4b2c518d1a5e

Mike
Old 01-25-16, 11:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

This is bound to happen to any out of production vehicle. Those whom I know that are into the hot rod scene experience a shortage of certain parts. My suggestion would be to talk to the hot rod guys and see how they deal with wiring harness issues.
Old 01-26-16, 01:41 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

There will be many other parts that are going to be impossible to get.
Old 01-26-16, 08:51 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm guessing that there's a break in one wire or multiple wires of your wiring harness for the knock sensor(?).

The best thing to do, and what I would probably do at this point, would be to find where the breaks are and solder the breaks in the wire(s) back together, sealing it with shrink wrap or electrical tape.

If possible, it may be good to remove the harness first, so it's easier to diagnose and work on.

I believe this photo shows some of the harness (attached).
Attached Thumbnails Is this the death sentence to all 1st gen LS400?-01-430-knock-sensor.jpg  
Old 01-26-16, 10:11 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
I imagine if there is enough demand, somebody will manufacture this harness at some point in the future.

You can try contacting these guys;
http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...9c4b2c518d1a5e

Mike
The problem is the Sumitomo/Yazaki connectors that almost all the Japanese automakers use are almost impossible to get - Delphi Packard rules the hot rod world(Subaru also uses a few Delphi connectors in their cars as well thanks to that GM connection).

But now with Ford using Yazaki connectors on the newer modular V8s and EcoBoost motors, things might get easier.

From what I've seen on the wiring diagrams, the knock sensor wiring is coaxial cable, grounded to the shield.
Old 01-26-16, 10:21 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^
I've never seen the connectors and wasn't aware of the complexity regarding this harness. However, I figured a call or email wouldn't hurt.

Mike
Old 01-26-16, 11:01 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

as times goes on and as these cars get older and older, more stuff will become unobtanium like this. the future of oem parts for Ls400s looks pretty bleak. I have a feeling if we want to keep these cars around for another 25 years we need to get handy and creative. meh..
Old 01-26-16, 11:28 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

With 3 D printing the connector issue is solvable, as is other plastic items. Rubber is the most difficult to replicate I think. Metal stuff is some what easier to make.
Old 01-26-16, 11:57 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

The summer before last I changed my starter and ordered a pair of sensors and harness. Bought from Sewell.

They sent me the sensors but forgot the harness. Well I reused the old harness we put some shrink tube over the connector and it held tight and fine.

I called Sewell on the connector and they forgot to send it was a kit with sensors. I got them days later I think they are hiding in my garage.

I will look hard for them tonight,

On a side note my 92Ls was totaled a month ago so I have since moved to a 07LS460L. It is a thing of beauty.
Old 01-26-16, 12:35 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Possible business opportunity for someone? Start collecting salvaged parts now and preserve them for future needs? As long as there is a demand then some entrepreneur is going to supply. Just for fun I looked up Datsun B210 parts to see what was available. Amazing to see how many aftermarket parts and used parts are available. I'm sure the aftermarket companies will come through once Lexus no longer provides....as long as us owners provide the demand.
Old 01-26-16, 12:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

you guys act like old connectors can't be reused and harneses can't be remade. These are electrical components, and there are hundreds of them sitting on shelves across the globe, if not thousands.

The LS400 wasn't a niche market car, tens of thousands were made. On top of that the toyota supply chain isn't a small thing. Comparing parts availability to something made in the 40s/50s that were not made to the same standard and quality is pointless.

Maybe in 30 or 40 years will you have something to worry about.
Old 01-26-16, 01:14 PM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
The summer before last I changed my starter and ordered a pair of sensors and harness. Bought from Sewell.

They sent me the sensors but forgot the harness. Well I reused the old harness we put some shrink tube over the connector and it held tight and fine.

I called Sewell on the connector and they forgot to send it was a kit with sensors. I got them days later I think they are hiding in my garage.

I will look hard for them tonight,

On a side note my 92Ls was totaled a month ago so I have since moved to a 07LS460L. It is a thing of beauty.
Johnny, if you can find your knock sensor harness, I'd love to buy it from you!
Old 01-26-16, 01:16 PM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you guys act like old connectors can't be reused and harneses can't be remade. These are electrical components, and there are hundreds of them sitting on shelves across the globe, if not thousands.

The LS400 wasn't a niche market car, tens of thousands were made. On top of that the toyota supply chain isn't a small thing. Comparing parts availability to something made in the 40s/50s that were not made to the same standard and quality is pointless.

Maybe in 30 or 40 years will you have something to worry about.
I know they can be re-used, but I'd much rather put a new one in and not have anything to worry about.

As for making a new one, it may not be as straight forward, but I am sure it can be done. Just don't know who would do it, and do it well...
Old 01-26-16, 09:09 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

This is what Sewell sent me last year.
Attached Thumbnails Is this the death sentence to all 1st gen LS400?-image1-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Is this the death sentence to all 1st gen LS400?