LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2,400 Mile Road Trip Observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 07:24 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2,400 Mile Road Trip Observations

I've put about 6,000 miles on my "new" LS400 over the past two months and other than my CV axle experience have only done routine servicing and cleaning.

Left last Thursday, from Jax, FL and drove to Dalton, GA. The next day drove up to Indianapolis, IN for the State Fair and the MotoGP races over the weekend. Drove up to Milwaukee, WI immediately after the races on Sunday and got there Sunday evening. Visited the Harley Museum as soon as they opened on Monday, hit the road around 1030, arrived in Indianapolis for another stop at the State Fair. Tried to win a big stuffed minion for my wife but failed to shoot the star out. Barely. Got back on the road and arrived at Cave City, KY around 9 PM. Did a tour through one of the Mammoth Cavern caves early Tuesday and then hit the road for Jax. Stopped in Nashville to eat Peg Leg Porker BBQ (as seen on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives....great food) for lunch and arrived home around 11 PM.

If you ever get the chance to go the Harley museum it's worth the stop. The quality of the bikes is pretty amazing.

Averaged about 27 MPG for the trip, which I thought was pretty impressive. Car is very comfortable and quiet, with plenty of power to get around folks when you need to.

One thing I noticed was how few LS400s are out there. Only saw four others during the whole trip. And I was looking. Makes me think our cars are headed the way of the Tyrannosaurus Rex.

A couple pics after cleaning five days of road grime off. Definitely the best 15 year old car I've ever owned.
Attached Thumbnails 2,400 Mile Road Trip Observations-img_5579.jpg   2,400 Mile Road Trip Observations-img_5576.jpg  
Old 08-14-15, 08:33 AM
FastEddie7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny. When I started thinking about an LS400, I thought "You never see them anymore". But when I really started looking, I did see them everywhere. I'm in Denver, and older cars are a little more common in our dry climate, so could be a regional thing. But I see lots of them. And they seem to be either in really, really good shape, or pretty beaten down. It's the kind of car that appealed to "grown ups" when it was new, and it was expensive. So lots of them lived easy lives, stored in garages. But as values fall, they're finding their way into the hands of less fastidious stewards.

Yours looks fantastic!
Old 08-14-15, 02:43 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a really nice trip. You couldn't have picked a better car for it.
Old 08-15-15, 04:57 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Sounds like a really nice trip. You couldn't have picked a better car for it.
Agree! I hate to admit it but I like driving the LS better than my Mini or Highlander.
Old 08-15-15, 05:00 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FastEddie7
It's funny. When I started thinking about an LS400, I thought "You never see them anymore". But when I really started looking, I did see them everywhere. I'm in Denver, and older cars are a little more common in our dry climate, so could be a regional thing. But I see lots of them. And they seem to be either in really, really good shape, or pretty beaten down. It's the kind of car that appealed to "grown ups" when it was new, and it was expensive. So lots of them lived easy lives, stored in garages. But as values fall, they're finding their way into the hands of less fastidious stewards.

Yours looks fantastic!
Thanks FastEddie!

It might be a regional thing. I just looked at cars.com and there are 196 for sale, so they are still out there. I was surprised at how few I saw though. I've only seen two around town.