LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I've made my decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 07:38 AM
heardj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've made my decision

I was looking into an e34 or e38 bmw. Looked at a few. Sellers didn't tell me everything about their cars until I showed up (1.5-3hrs each way). Cars weren't up to par with what I was looking for. I found an ls400 for $1000 5 minutes from my house. Finally after a week or 2, I was able to meet the guy to check it out. He had a severe lack of communication. :/ Anyways, I meet up with him take it for a spin and look it over from what I can since it was dark. I bought it.

It needs some tlc. No worries! Right rear brakes are metal on metal, small exhaust leak in what seems to be mid pipe area, some rust, and needs some miscellaneous things on the inside. Someone stole the guys radio and since he cut the harness off and spliced it in it shorted out. The heat did not work and radio/ heater controls were taken out. I bought the car for $600 and drove it home about 4 miles as it was. Its a 93 ls400

The next day I went and did some more inspecting. i took note of what i needed and issues i needed to address. I cut all the open wires from the radio and checked the fuses. I replaced the radio fuse and had heater controls that now worked. The screen doesn't work at all. Not a big deal.

I ordered brakes front and back with wear sensors just in case since the light is on. I got tune up parts, serpentine belt, and a thermostat with gasket. There's some panels with broken clips so I hopped on ebay. I ordered clips, a new screen replacement for my heater, 5% tint, a key (mine has half the housing wrapped in electrical tape).

Waiting ti register it since I kinda need to do the brakes before I drive it. The short test drive and drive home was nice! I'm already in love with this car! Wheels and coilovers will be coming along soon! Got a buddy with a w58 trans laying around if I want to go 5sp.

Onto the pics!
engine is smooth!!

Some of the needles fading out.

Got to throw my deck in there!

driver and passenger seat rips. (what color is this called)? Like a dark chocolate

All of the wood trim is missing! :/ Is there just one color wood trim or mutiples?

Still needs more cleaning. I only vacuumed and threw air fresheners everywhere.

Ill get some exterior pics in a day or so when its warm out again and the snow melts off the car. Im happy with my decision and for $600 I cant complain!
Old 03-03-15, 07:47 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Congrats on the pickup. It does need a lot of work but as long as it's mechanically sound and your willing to put the money into it I say it's a good ride for $600.
Old 03-03-15, 08:13 AM
heardj
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. Yeah seems to be pretty sound minus the rear brakes. No big deal. My wife was worried about me liking it or not. she didn't want me to just settle. Needs quite a bit of little things. Seems like they will nickle and dime me unless I can find a partout or a junkyard with the pieces I need. I cant wait to start driving it so I can give my wife her Malibu back.
Old 03-03-15, 09:13 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know.. I'd settle for a LS... just about any day...even the 93 will ride better than a new Malibu... IMHO
I just picked up, or will this week a 1998 with 203k on it... 'bout a 9/10 for both interior and exterior...
It also needs some TLC... but everything is there and it all works, except for the gas gauge, but know how to fix that.... Looking forward to bringing up to higher standards

Congrats on your steal and so close to home is nice also. Keep us updated on your progress
Old 03-03-15, 01:58 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

welcome and you already have great plans for the car. most of it is cosmetic and if the motor and trans works, that solid reliability right there!

as for the trim, i believe there is only one wood trim out there for 1st gens. hopefully you can find a junkyard equivalent and save big! i know every time i go to one there is at least one 1st gen there (sadly).
Old 03-04-15, 05:21 AM
heardj
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it was nice being so close to home. Thanks for hitting on that timmy. They seem to be a commodity people think are worth a fortune. Too cold out to be going to any junkyards right now. Spring is near.
Old 03-04-15, 10:00 AM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

Have a 93 LS400 as well with 143K miles and hope that my copy will last to 308K. These cars are truly amazing. Give it a little TLC and it will give you 10x back. Congratulations on your "new" Lexus!
Old 03-04-15, 11:47 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I have now had 12 LS400's, usually bought them two at a time for me & wife... my first was a 94 with 235k and a busted timing belt that I could steal.. and it got me started, couldn't believe how much quality was in that car.. and have not been disappointed since.. you should be able to find a parts donor car around you.. keep up the good ideas and show us the outside when you can.. due to age (81) we are down to one car now and will drive it as long as we last..
Attached Thumbnails I've made my decision-004.jpg   I've made my decision-005.jpg   I've made my decision-oldbill.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 03-05-15 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-05-15, 07:21 AM
heardj
Driver School Candidate

little bit of rust. I have the piece just need to do some clean up and reattach it.

A little rust not too bad.

Someone tried to break into the trunk. :/ Idiots.

Big behind!

My project for today! New lcd should be here today or tomorrow so just getting it ready.

Ordered some cheap wheels to hold me over until next yeah when I can afford something better.

New wheels are 18x10 +22 all corners. Will be ordering tires next friday. going with 235/40/18 I think.
Old 03-05-15, 08:04 AM
heardj
Driver School Candidate

Here she is all removed!
Old 03-05-15, 02:18 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

BillyD I've never seen a pic of you before! nice!

The car looks well used, a little love and for that price you'll have a long term reliable ride.
Old 03-06-15, 08:38 AM
CAnima
Driver School Candidate

Just needs a little love and the fact that it's not going to be junked out makes any build worth it. Got mine for $650 to use for another project and instead fell in love with it and put about $1,800 so far and can't say I regret it. When you drive an LS for the first time it's almost magic! Getting it back to 100% is even better! Good luck on your build!
Old 03-06-15, 09:40 AM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

Absolutely - getting it back to 100% is totally worth it. I started mine 6 months ago and now I am at the stage of removing squeaks from the front seats and replacing the original tweeter and antenna. Might have to replace thermostat and she should be very close to 100%
Old 03-09-15, 06:12 AM
heardj
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! Thanks guys! I cant wait to bring her back up to par! Going to be getting a big delivery today!
Old 03-09-15, 11:04 AM
heardj
Driver School Candidate

Thats how shes done! $40 and about an hour total.

Last edited by heardj; 03-09-15 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: I've made my decision