LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

vibration at frewway speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 09:43 PM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theomms, no, you're not alone. It seems to be a very common problem. What I have noticed from my tireless search of past threads, however, is that many people have had this problem. Most chase the problem all over the place, only to find that it was only a proper alignment that was needed after all. Don't ask me why a normal shop balance doesn't work for these cars, because I have no idea. I'm just relaying what I've read (sorry I don't have time to reference the exact posts) and what i've lived.

Several posts reference that multiple wheel balancings did not cure the problem. Then, a balancing done by a better shop fixed the problem. Someone on here told me to go to www.retrodrive.net It's a really awesome site. There is a section there explaining that the Lexus dealership does a high speed balancing that is different somehow.

I noticed a vibration on my test drive and had all four balanced before my long road trip home. It did nothing to help the vibration, so I got to thinking it was in the drivetrain. My tech thought it might be the rear tranny bushing. The thing is, I've read the same story from half a dozen other people on this forum who had replaced all sorts of expensive stuff, only to come back and admit that they had finally gotten the tires balanced correctly and the problem disappeared.

The rear transmission mount just arrived today so, to save face, I'm going to install it anyway. The more I think about it, it's probably the wheel balance or alignment after all. I'll keep everyone posted, but to justify my $50 bucks I spent on the trans mount I may lie a little bit. Sorry in advance.

-Josh

Last edited by LSPilot; 02-16-04 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-16-04, 09:58 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LSPilot, Like I stated in this thread the balance of the tires is very very important on these cars, thats why I went to different shops to get mine right.Rotate one side for the car and see what happens.
My wife's Chevy Astro with billet wheels , seems like no matter what , that van never vibrates even when the weighs fell off one, and I did not know until I had tires replaced and saw that the weight was gone.
The LS is very sensitive and rotors warp easy also, so be careful on you judgement.
Old 02-17-04, 02:17 PM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

Well here's the update:

I installed the rear transmission mount this morning in about 15 minutes. I was a little disappointed when I took it out because the rubber still looked intact. However, when I compared it with the new one, I realized how smooshed the rubber really was. My digital camera is missing, otherwise I would have taken pictures. It looked to me as if the bushing was squashed enough to allow the rear of the tranny to sag 1/4"-1/2".

The results are pretty noticeable. Most noticeable is that my idle is smoother. I had a distinct vibration at 600 rpm's when the car was warm. That engine vibration at idle is all but completely gone. On the freeway, the droning is gone! There is no 'cyclical' vibration anymore! There still seems to be a slight wheel-balance type vibration, however.

Unfortunately, it was difficult to get a good test run in because the stretch of freeway I used is paved in concrete. The expansion joints made it hard to tell what was going on. Plus, the vibration is the worst at 75, but it was hard to get going that fast in lunch-rush traffic on the 405!

So far, so good. I'm not just saving face, this is a measurable improvement. I'll be taking a much longer drive tonight and I'll let you know the final verdict when I get back.

Last edited by LSPilot; 02-17-04 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-17-04, 07:53 PM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

YES !!!

It was the tranny mount!

I was able to take the car up to 75 this afternoon on a smooth highway. The vibration is GONE! I'm so stoked. It really makes a big difference not to have all that shaking going on.

VICTORY!

Now that the big vibration from the driveshaft is gone I can feel trace amounts of what is probably a wheel slightly out of balance, but it is very difficult to detect and really not noticeable. The main booty-shaking vibration between 60 and 85 is GONE! I'd still like to get the wheels balanced at the dealership anyway just to see what this beast feels like when it's really dialed in.

To anyone who is having a vibration that comes and goes in waves at freeway speeds and you've already pretty much ruled out wheel balance, I'd highly recommend changing the tranny mount. It was less than $60 and even a moron like me could do it in 15 minutes. I noticed that some of the people on the forum who were complaining of a similar problem had about 130k on their cars. That seems a reasonable amount of mileage for something like this to wear out. After all, a lot of weight is resting on this rubber.

I was trying to explain to my roommate why the mount cured the problem. Maybe someone on here knows a better explanation, but I told him that the collapsed rubber in the mount caused the back of the transmission to sit slightly lower. This meant that the flex disc between the transmission and the driveshaft was absorbing that altered angle and at high speeds it would vibrate because the powertrain wasn't aligned in one straight shot from trans to rear end.

Sounds like a wannabe weekend-warrior making ****** up to me. Does anyone know if this is an accurate explanation? I'm just stoked to finally have a smooth ride.
Old 02-17-04, 08:09 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LSPilot
YES !!!

It was the tranny mount!

I was trying to explain to my roommate why the mount cured the problem. Maybe someone on here knows a better explanation, but I told him that the collapsed rubber in the mount caused the back of the transmission to sit slightly lower. This meant that the flex disc between the transmission and the driveshaft was absorbing that altered angle and at high speeds it would vibrate because the powertrain wasn't aligned in one straight shot from trans to rear end.

Sounds like a wannabe weekend-warrior making ****** up to me. Does anyone know if this is an accurate explanation? I'm just stoked to finally have a smooth ride.
I am glad you got it right, this should help other guys out.
I think what you are trying to say above is the pinion angle was off do to the flatted mount .
Old 02-17-04, 08:32 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, i might want to change my tranny mount now especially if its so easy to change according to pilot
Old 02-17-04, 08:45 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by persian451
hmm, i might want to change my tranny mount now especially if its so easy to change according to pilot
By a mount and bring it to the meet and let's put it in persieee...................OK
Old 02-17-04, 09:58 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lexkost
By a mount and bring it to the meet and let's put it in persieee...................OK
you want to?
Old 02-18-04, 04:04 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LSPilot & elclassico

When was your last trans. fluid change? Your vibration between 40-55 mph and sometime above 55 mph right. Does it feel like the the car ran over rumble strip?
Old 02-18-04, 10:18 PM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

VQT: My last trans and diff fluid change was done about 18,000 miles ago. The 'rumble strip' noise you're talking about is that problem some people have coming out of lockup, right? Mine doesn't seem to have that problem (knock on wood.)

The remaining vibration I can feel (very slight) seems to be a wheel just slightly off balance. The main shuddering feeling that was evident at high speeds is gone now.
Old 02-18-04, 10:28 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LSPilot
VQT: My last trans and diff fluid change was done about 18,000 miles ago. The 'rumble strip' noise you're talking about is that problem some people have coming out of lockup, right? Mine doesn't seem to have that problem (knock on wood.)

The remaining vibration I can feel (very slight) seems to be a wheel just slightly off balance. The main shuddering feeling that was evident at high speeds is gone now.
what was the part # on that tranny mount, and fast did the guy change it out?
Old 02-19-04, 03:32 PM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

Rear Transmission Mount (may be listed as rear engine mount)

Part #: 12371-50010
$56.37

www.trademotion.com

It was very easy to do. Less than 15 minutes and I'm not that good.

Here were the instructions given me:

Jack the car up (I used ramps). Using another jack support enough of the weight of the transmission to unload the bushing. Unscrew the nuts (4) holding the bushing to the cross member. Unscrew the bolts (4) holding the cross member, lower cross member and remove. Unscrew the bolts (4) holding the bushing onto the transmission. Remove bushing. Replace in the reverse order.

It's really easy and took me 15 minutes at most. The motor mounts, on the other hand, look like a different story altogether.
Old 02-19-04, 04:28 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

great, thanks alot, i appreciate the information
Old 02-19-04, 06:02 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Default Asphalt

I have had this problem for a while and finally gave up. I had a lexus dealer do a full run-out balance, replaced ALL 4 tires, had a lexus alignment, and the problem persists.

Here's the only catch- it ONLY vibrates while driving on good-ol black-top! It doesn't shake when driving on concrete roads and freeways, just asphalt!

Totally weird- maybe somebody can shed some light on this. I figure it's just the shear sensitivity of the LS400 that picks up on tiny road imperfections.
Old 02-19-04, 10:08 PM
LSPilot
Driver School Candidate

BigDLexus:

Your problem sounds similar to what I had. I couldn't really tell there was a vibration on the concrete freeway near my house, but I could definitely feel it on smoother road surfaces. As a matter of fact, right after I changed the bushing, I went to test it on the concrete freeway closest to my house and I had trouble knowing if I had fixed anything. Later in the day, I went to an asphault freeway and then I knew I had it nailed.

How many miles does your LS have on it? What year?

Does the vibe come in waves at all? Does the vibration change a little when you let off the gas or accelerate? Can you feel the vibration through the whole car, not just the steering wheel?

-Josh

Quick Reply: vibration at frewway speed?