LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My LS400 On Cut Springs!!! Rides Same As Factory!!! Check It Out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 11:57 AM
LS400Texas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Budget LS400 Build! Cut Springs, Painted Wheels, etc.. Check It Out!

So I know some people are on a budget and some have the money to spend. Well i was one of those on a budget. When I got My LS400 it was stock on 20" rims. So I Found some G35 Rays to get rid of the ugly 20's. I also needed the car lower and since i didnt have any cash i decided to cut the springs. I know I havent seen any LS400's On here with cut springs so i figured id post mine in case anyone else was looking like i was! I Cut 1 1/2 coils on all four corners. Rides like Factory and handles great!! This Was a Great Simple Mod That anyone can do to get the look they want with a couple of hours of your time.

I Also Installed the LED Lights From Ebay For The Doors And Map Lights And They Looked Great!

Thanks for looking!

I Posted Before And After Pics. Rims Will Be Powder Coated Gloss Black When Car is Painted White.
Attached Thumbnails My LS400 On Cut Springs!!! Rides Same As Factory!!! Check It Out!-ls400-before.jpg   My LS400 On Cut Springs!!! Rides Same As Factory!!! Check It Out!-lexus-led.jpg   My LS400 On Cut Springs!!! Rides Same As Factory!!! Check It Out!-lexus-after-g35-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by LS400Texas; 03-13-14 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 12:06 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a lot of folks say you can bottom out and that this is unsafe. I know a friend that know a friend that died in his Honda S2k on the boulevard this way.
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade though! I'm just putting it out there. It looks nice lowed man.

Last edited by aomdedude1; 03-12-14 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 12:10 PM
LS400Texas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Buddy. I Have Cut Springs Before On Previous Rides and never had any issues. Ive seen Some People Total Their Cars like you mentioned, but they also Had cut off like 4 coils lol. The most ill ever do is the 1 1/2. But thanks for the credit, just happy to have it lowered and still have the same stock ride feel to it.
Old 03-12-14, 12:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It looks good. That's a nice drop!
Old 03-12-14, 12:25 PM
LS400Texas
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Kira!
Old 03-12-14, 12:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

This is a ghetto mod, not a replacement for springs and definitely won't ride "like factory" for long.

That said, it is possible to do it safely, and 1.5coils isn't a lot.
Old 03-12-14, 12:32 PM
LS400Texas
Driver School Candidate

I dont see anything ghetto or nothing wrong at all with cut springs if you know how to do it right. On my previous vehicles I never lost the stock ride feel over the 2-3 years I had the vehicles so I don't see why this would be any different
Old 03-12-14, 12:52 PM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aomdedude1
I heard a lot of folks say you can bottom out and that this is unsafe. I know a friend that know a friend that died in his Honda S2k on the boulevard this way.
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade though! I'm just putting it out there. It looks nice lowed man.
Im sorry man but this is garbage... Im sad for the people and families that lost due to modifications but saying you heard from a friend that heard something... is just worthless. the variables are unlimited. Each situation is different.

That being said modify be smart and know what your doing!
Old 03-12-14, 12:58 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldyota
Im sorry man but this is garbage... Im sad for the people and families that lost due to modifications but saying you heard from a friend that heard something... is just worthless. the variables are unlimited. Each situation is different.

That being said modify be smart and know what your doing!
I was not trying to do scare tactics here. I suppose you are right that it was worthless to even mention the story when I have no proof or direct impact. I suppose the point was to raise awareness that if you are cutting springs ***** nilly, that you pose a serious risk to your own personal safety.

There is a science to this stuff and no one wants to see people get hurt. So therefore I disagree about my statement being garbage. Here is some literature about cutting springs. The general consensus is that even if you are "being safe" and "smart" it's still probably not a good idea because there are a whole lot of variables like spring rates and heat dissipation (while you cut) that you are messing with when you take a saw to your springs and your messing around with a whole lot of variables.

... It would probably be best to just buy some lowering springs or coil overs.... but unfortunately we probably don't live in a perfect "best case" world. So as long as people know the risk they are taking than to each their own. ... and like I said, I think his drop looks good!

Last edited by aomdedude1; 03-12-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 06:38 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The car looks great. Have you thought about clear corners?

Do you have a link to the LEDs?
Old 03-12-14, 08:23 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have cut springs before.
I clipped a coil and a bit off a set of progressive springs, the coils actually did nothing except keep tension on the spring seat when fully unloaded on the hoist. With the car on the ground they actuall just sat on each others and did nothing, with the car in the air, they were still compressed enough to stay seated...

Beyond that, I would never cut springs, broke as a joke or not.

I have personally seen cut springs drop and pop out of seats when unloaded while driving and jam into the tires/wheels/frame. I haven't seen any deaths or anything like that, but have seen cars dragged in on the hooks a couple of times because of improperly cut springs...

Last I checked the LS doesn't have progressive springs nor springs that lend themselves well to cutting.
Old 03-12-14, 10:57 PM
LS400Texas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
The car looks great. Have you thought about clear corners?

Do you have a link to the LEDs?
I would love clear corners just not sure yet cause I might tint them when I tint my rear lights. Here is the link. When I got them I paid 12.99 but since they were selling good I'm guessing they went up in price. http://m.ebay.com/itm/300743649836?txnId=938197715020
Old 03-13-14, 08:07 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

I would guess you don't want to weld the cut springs onto the perch, but maybe a good idea to keep it from unseating on a big bump? The lowered air suspension cars ride pretty well when lowered, just hard on the how long the struts last usually.
Old 03-13-14, 09:53 AM
LS400Texas
Driver School Candidate

I didn't wanna weld them in case I ever do have to change the shocks. Also what I did is after I cut them, I kinda grinded down the roundness to make it a bit flat so it would sit in the seat like a factory spring would.
Old 03-13-14, 10:09 AM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a nice looking drop, didn't expect anyone with a ls400 to cut springs

Quick Reply: My LS400 On Cut Springs!!! Rides Same As Factory!!! Check It Out!