LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Antenna Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 09:44 AM
lee01san
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Antenna Problem

Hello,
It's been a while when I requested your help for an idling problem. I was not able to pass smog due to idling being too high. What happened was there was a problem w/ the antifreeze thermostat. Inner seal was gone, thus, ECM said never reached the operating temp. I replaced the thermostat and passed the smog.

Now, I yesterday replaced the antenna mast. What did I do wrong? When I turned the radio on, the antenna retracted and vise versa. When I turned the radio off, the antenna extended. What do I need to do for this antenna to properly operate?
Old 04-10-17, 09:20 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't know how but it sounds like the cable got wound back wards ?? That's my guess. You will likely have to take it out and take it apart to fix it.
Old 04-12-17, 07:51 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lee01san
Hello,
It's been a while when I requested your help for an idling problem. I was not able to pass smog due to idling being too high. What happened was there was a problem w/ the antifreeze thermostat. Inner seal was gone, thus, ECM said never reached the operating temp. I replaced the thermostat and passed the smog.

Now, I yesterday replaced the antenna mast. What did I do wrong? When I turned the radio on, the antenna retracted and vise versa. When I turned the radio off, the antenna extended. What do I need to do for this antenna to properly operate?

Did you do the quik-n-dirty method, or the deluxe method? For the quik-n-dirty method, you need to remove the antenna with radio on for power to the motor. Then extend your new mast and stick the wand in the hole so it engages with the gear drive. Then you turn off the radio and it sucks the extended mast down. If your mast was already contracted, I do not know if the limit switch reverses the motor direction.
Colin
Old 04-15-17, 09:57 AM
lee01san
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Dicer and Amskeptic,
I apologize for not checking my post more frequently. Okay, I'll take'em a part and put'em back again.
I'll get back to the forum, hopefully w/ a good news.
Old 04-16-17, 11:19 AM
lee01san
Driver School Candidate

Got it!!
Took'em a part and put everything back. But, still, antenna retracted when I turned the radio on and extended when radio was turned off.
So, what I did was I reversed those two leads (Blue and Black/White) connected to the motor.
Yup, now, antenna extends when the radio turns on and retracts when I turn the radio off.
Hoorey!!
Old 04-16-17, 03:42 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

That's just too strange.
Old 04-18-17, 10:27 AM
lee01san
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dicer,
I just reversed those two wires thinking if I burned the power antenna, I can always get an used power antenna at near-by Pick-n'-Pull (Moss Landing, CA). But, it worked this time without burning the motor. I don't know what I did in the beginning so that the antenna function was reversed. But, I'm a happy camper now! I thank you for your support though!