LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Power Steering Idle Up Valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 05:24 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS400 Power Steering Idle Up Valve

1992 Lexus ls400. I have had PS fluid loss over the past year but lately is getting worse. I've seen people replacing the valve, taking it out, plugging the hole etc. My question is, Why couldn't you just unhook the 2 vacuum lines and loop each side together? Is there something like a check valve that would make this not work? Heres an image for reference...

LS400 Power Steering Idle Up Valve-gvaug2q.jpg

Thanks.
Old 11-22-13, 06:22 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They usually replace oe remove it because it starts to leak on the alternator.
Old 11-22-13, 06:26 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

I understand people removing it but usually it leaks through the vacuum line and goes into the engine where it is burned. So my question is why not just loop both sides? It's a lot easier than taking out the old one, finding what size and thread it is, buying a plug, and capping off the vacuum lines.
Old 11-22-13, 06:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

keep in mind that our PS systems are leaky from one end to the other when they get old, so if that doesn't do it, there are a multitude of other places in the PS system that could be leaking, and will also kill the alternator!
Old 11-22-13, 08:14 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

As of right now the car doesn't leak a drop of anything. Just uses PS fluid (burns it). Just don't see why you couldn't loop those. I might just give it a shot here later this weekend and see.
Old 11-23-13, 08:25 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Are you talking about looping the two fittings of the valve together? Wouldn't effect anything, since there would be no vacuum present ,the internal valve would just open and shut with no side effect.

As far as it preventing leaks? Give it a shot, let us know. It could work. my vacuum fitting on the intake snapped off, so i just removed the lines and put rubber bypass caps on the valve fittings. No problems here so far.
Old 11-23-13, 09:38 AM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=YoshiMan;8250946]Are you talking about looping the two fittings of the valve together? Wouldn't effect anything, since there would be no vacuum present ,the internal valve would just open and shut with no side effect.

As far as it preventing leaks? Give it a shot, let us know. It could work. my vacuum fitting on the intake snapped off, so i just removed the lines and put rubber bypass caps on the valve fittings. No problems here so far.[/QUOTE

Yes exactly. I have no leaks besides the valve leaking into the vacuum line and then going into the intake manifold where it is burned. Don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 11-23-13, 12:18 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Thats what they do when the bolt up the hole. If your going to leave yours in place and remove the hoses than you better plug up the tubes coming out of the valve. Than it can leak onto alternator and kill it over time.
Old 11-23-13, 12:25 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

I understand that. What I'm saying is whats the point of removing the valve and fabbing something up to plug it? Why not just loop the vacuum lines and call it a day??
Old 11-24-13, 09:01 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I see nothing wrong with it my self. Just for me i want it all to be as original as it should be. Your choice.

Fyi i replaced mine after the leak started.
Old 11-24-13, 09:49 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Just to Clarify

Originally Posted by YagerD
I understand that. What I'm saying is whats the point of removing the valve and fabbing something up to plug it? Why not just loop the vacuum lines and call it a day??
Just to make sure you understand what's happening: the IAC valve IS the source of the PS fluid leak; routing your hoses around it will NOT keep the valve from leaking, and dripping onto your alternator. You will still have to come up with a way to plug up the two nipples coming out of the IAC valve. Thus the recommendation to use something that will permanently block ATF from leaking through. Some RTV products soften in that application, so many folks just remove the entire valve, and plug the hole. Others do what I believe you are saying, and loop the two nipples together, with a short piece of tubing. However, IF the IAC valve body is leaking at the seam area, this will not work; it must be plugged.
Old 11-25-13, 05:03 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

The valve is not leaking externally.
Old 11-25-13, 07:40 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on my 99 I used a drain bolt. Had the right thread pitch. ;-) not saying its the same for all years.
Old 11-26-13, 06:11 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just fixed my PS leak this past weekend. $3 drain plug (14mm x1.5) and some teflon tape. Super easy with an angled 17mm wrench. So far so good.
Old 12-31-15, 01:28 PM
rocky5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sayow
I just fixed my PS leak this past weekend. $3 drain plug (14mm x1.5) and some teflon tape. Super easy with an angled 17mm wrench. So far so good.
Did you plugged the valve entirely?

Quick Reply: LS400 Power Steering Idle Up Valve