LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Backup Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 11:54 AM
bass911
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Backup Camera Install

Install is on a 97' model. This is just a cheap camera I got off ebay. I don't even know if it has a brand name. It works pretty good so far. It is supposed to have built-in night vision, but I'll have to wait until night time to test it.

I popped about 5 tabs off the trunk backing to run the wires underneath. I also grounded the black wire under the trunk cover.

This wire was ran from the outside through the long black plastic piece between the taillights. You have to remove both the license plate light covers. The black piece will still be stuck. You just need to gently keep prying at it.

It probably would be easier to just take the whole black piece off, but it seemed to only want to bend so far and I didn't want to break any clips. Clips break a lot on these older cars.

You can see wire ran underneath. It gave me a struggle

The red wire with blue stripe is the power so when you put the car in reverse it automatically turns on

I screwed it in the black plastic piece with the supplied screws between the license plate lights

Last edited by bass911; 09-22-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 12:02 PM
bass911
Driver

I had a little trouble getting the grid to line up. This camera had to be adjusted because at first it view was completely sideways. The top of your trunk lid will show a little bit no matter what. You can move the camera forward to get the lid out of the picture, but it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by bass911; 09-22-13 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 02:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

congrats on the install, I hope you went back and properly insulated those taps you made...
Old 09-22-13, 06:51 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome!

how are you makeing out with the stereo install?
Old 09-22-13, 07:21 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Fire hazard

Backup Camera Install-fwixlpy.jpg
Old 09-22-13, 11:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Fire hazard

yeah this is some mickey moused wiring if he left it like that...

A couple of properly gauged taps would have been <$1.50
Old 09-23-13, 12:24 AM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yeah this is some mickey moused wiring if he left it like that...

A couple of properly gauged taps would have been <$1.50
I didn't leave it like that. I just figured I wouldn't have to hold every ones hand step by detailed step. I have quick connects and all kinds of wiring connectors. I never showed the wires finished and I won't. I will let you since you know more about wiring than me. I was just giving people a good visual in case they wanted to try it. I have over 17 years worth of so called "Mickey Mouse" installs and not one has failed yet.
Old 09-23-13, 01:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lol we only know what you post up. Also the reason we asked for clarification.
Old 09-23-13, 01:45 AM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by rick1987
awesome!

how are you makeing out with the stereo install?
It is done and didn't forget about you. I didn't like the amp so I'm redoing the sub stage. I might do 2 8's? I'll post it when I'm done. I'm sure these guys will find something wrong it!

If I don't know how to wire, how did I do this with a touch activated switch? According to Cowboy my Lexus should have caught fire by now. These are smd 5050 leds and they get pretty hot.

Cup holders and footwells

Old 09-23-13, 01:57 AM
bass911
Driver

These are the night time pics, and I picked the darkest spots.

It is very dark outside so the night vision works pretty good for a $25 camera.

Old 09-23-13, 02:17 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You wouldn't happen to remember the camera you got, would you? Also, the lights, do they serve any other function than always on/off? Reason I'm asking is since I want some oh-so classy music (*cough*bass*cough*) activated lighting haha. Also, I think it's not a bad idea to leave part of the trunk in view. This way, it gives you a sort of focal point to gauge distance from the parking spot. Also, could you PM me on how you did your wiring for the head unit (doing mine on Friday and I could use all the help I can get)?

Last edited by Sc0pe; 09-23-13 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 04:04 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

According to Cowboy my Lexus should have caught fire by now.
well even though some of your wiring looks scary, the results of your camera and lighting installation looks like the functionality is first rate!
Old 09-23-13, 05:02 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ive got mine wired to my eclipse head unit and I can turn it on while im driving down the road..i got mine from sonic electronix
Old 09-23-13, 07:10 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bass911
I didn't leave it like that. I just figured I wouldn't have to hold every ones hand step by detailed step. I have quick connects and all kinds of wiring connectors. I never showed the wires finished and I won't. I will let you since you know more about wiring than me. I was just giving people a good visual in case they wanted to try it. I have over 17 years worth of so called "Mickey Mouse" installs and not one has failed yet.
Wow, an attitude. People are here to help. A tutorial is supposed to show step by step. You do have alot of poke holes in those wires which dont need to be there. They're in such a tight spot which makes them 10 times harder to repair. (unnecessary work) If it were me, and alot of people will agree, I would have unplugged that connector and tested the pins inside for which wire was which. Then ya wouldn't have to fix all those holes.
Personally, I dont like these "back up" cameras. My friend got hit b/c some lady used hers to "back up" and never noticed he was walking from the side. She figured she didn't have to look around, only in her camera. It's actually supposed to be a "rear view" camera. (like a mirror)

Anyway, the view looks pretty good, day and night, for a $25 camera. What's the brand on it so other people will know? Also, try to post some finished product pics on the wires.
Old 09-23-13, 12:45 PM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by deanshark
Wow, an attitude. People are here to help. A tutorial is supposed to show step by step. You do have alot of poke holes in those wires which dont need to be there. They're in such a tight spot which makes them 10 times harder to repair. (unnecessary work) If it were me, and alot of people will agree, I would have unplugged that connector and tested the pins inside for which wire was which. Then ya wouldn't have to fix all those holes.
Personally, I dont like these "back up" cameras. My friend got hit b/c some lady used hers to "back up" and never noticed he was walking from the side. She figured she didn't have to look around, only in her camera. It's actually supposed to be a "rear view" camera. (like a mirror)

Anyway, the view looks pretty good, day and night, for a $25 camera. What's the brand on it so other people will know? Also, try to post some finished product pics on the wires.
I poked 2 of the wires with a test light. The other holes were already there. I could see exactly which wires were coming from the backup light. I really didn't mean for it to be a tutorial. The word "tutorial" or "How To" is not in the title. I posted it because someone on this forum said they wanted to see the completed camera install. Yes, you can smash things while backing because objects with this particular camera are closer than they appear. That is why they have the big warning on the screen telling you to check your surroundings. I don't know the brand. I can post the ebay link, but don't know if that is against forum rules? The grid is built-in and cannot be removed. Just letting you know in case you don't want the grid function. This camera's grid is pretty good at letting you know when stop if another car is parked behind you. I didn't think I'd use it that much but I do. Some of my stuff will come across as mean, but it is just me. I don't mean any harm. I probably know just as much as you do about wiring? I know I could have unplugged the plug and tested from the plug, but I don't have much time to fool around with the car as far as installing aftermarket stuff. This way was quicker for me.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Install