LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Updating The Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 11:17 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the antenna imprinted in the rear window is actually for the cell phone. i too have used it for the radio and have great results in reception. looks like a great HU! as for the tweeters, they are not meant to be powered beyond the factory amp so it is to no surprise they are cracking now.
Old 10-03-13, 06:04 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can replace those tweeters? For now they are disconnected, but after driving the past couple days with the new system I think the system can sound a little better if I have sound coming from those tweeters.
Old 10-03-13, 09:36 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can replace those tweeters? For now they are disconnected, but after driving the past couple days with the new system I think the system can sound a little better if I have sound coming from those tweeters.
Well, last I checked PureDrifter mentioned something about the general size of tweeters to use in our cars, but I can't recall... When it comes time to wire them, just hook into the speaker wire for the door speakers.
Old 10-04-13, 06:44 AM
ballin
Pole Position

That install looks clean and the double din looks great.
Old 10-04-13, 06:46 AM
ballin
Pole Position

Dont mean to thread jack, but has anyone moved the climate controls to the lower spot, and moved the deck/stereo up higher for a better eye view and and possibly bettr ergonomics?
Old 10-04-13, 06:40 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

My stereo installer, who happens to be one of the best within 250 miles, told me that removal of the unit requires removal of the dash along with six screws, two of which are from back and below the climate control switch. The custom kit must also be modified from scratch, so good luck there!
Old 10-04-13, 06:43 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Default Looking For Some Tweeters

The past couple days have been amazing in the car, but I think the music can sound even better if I had tweeters installed. I am wondering if it is possible to install 1" tweeters in place of the ones have have been blown by the side mirrors. Either that or install two on the upper left and right. I found a pair of good quality Alpine 1" tweeters with crossovers.

Has anyone here replaced the factory tweeters with aftermarket tweeters?
Old 10-07-13, 05:16 PM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

You could use the factory tweeter location for "imaging" tweeters. Try the factory one's you think are blown first or get some new ones about the same size like these-
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=275-035
or
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=275-025

The trick is to cross them over high, like 8Khz and up so they aren't trying to play the same lower frequencies as the tweeters on your new coaxials. Keep them aimed across the windshield like the stock ones are.
Old 10-07-13, 05:20 PM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

What amplifier did you get and what Pioneer 5.25" speakers did you get?
Old 10-07-13, 07:49 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ballin
Dont mean to thread jack, but has anyone moved the climate controls to the lower spot, and moved the deck/stereo up higher for a better eye view and and possibly bettr ergonomics?
PM Lexkost. He did that with his HVAC/DoubleDIN way back. From my understanding it only seems to be a thing on the 2LS. The 2.5LS has different HVAC controls.
Old 10-08-13, 08:30 AM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUSA400
What amplifier did you get and what Pioneer 5.25" speakers did you get?
Deck: Alpine INE-W927HD
Amp: Alpine MRX-V70 5-channel (4x 90w and 1x 350w)
Speakers: Four Pioneer TS-D1302R
Subwoofer: Pioneer 10" enclosure, mounted in the truck, 800w max

I considered a more powerful amp that has 700w for the subwoofer, but that is way too much power for me.
Old 10-09-13, 08:02 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

The past couple days have been amazing in the car, but I think the music can sound even better if I had tweeters installed. I am wondering if it is possible to install 1" tweeters in place of the ones have have been blown by the side mirrors. Either that or install two on the upper left and right. I found a pair of good quality Alpine 1" tweeters with crossovers.

Has anyone here replaced the factory tweeters with aftermarket tweeters?
Are you able to remove the tweeter housing on the sail? I haven't removed mine to know what the tweeters even look like for sure but they do look like a small dome tweeter.
All you would need to do is rewire the existing tweeter, if it is still good and was crackling for some other reason like bad wiring etc. Connect it to the same channel as the fronts but with a simple capacitor on the + wire. Figuring out what value of cap is the hard part. We would need to know how the tweeter measures at the frequency you wanna cross it over.

Or you could replace it with a new tweeter with known values. A 6 or 8 ohm tweeter would be a good thing too since you will be wiring this in parallel with your front channel, it won't be as loud and since you will be using it as an "Imaging" tweeter to bring the sound stage up you won't need full volume levels.

Does that fancy head unit have EQ and Time Alignment? You may not need to add anything else if it is configured well.
Old 10-09-13, 03:56 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Yes, the deck has EQ and Time Alignment, and they are already tuned. For now, the Pioneer full-range speakers at the doors give me the highs when I need them and they sould very good. The factory tweeters have been blown and sound like crap, so they are disconnected.
Old 10-09-13, 09:51 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Default More Pictures Of The Deck

It's been about a week now with the new system. I gotta say that I love it, and it was $2800 well-spent. Here are some better pictures of the deck. The Emperor endorses Alpine for its INE-W927HD double DIN deck.

Here is the unit working in dual mode, so I can flip music while figuring out where I am going.

Alpine must have designed the interface with the LS 400 in mind because the illumination matches perfectly with that of the instrument cluster. I can't stand cars where the illumination on the cluster is amber while that of its stereo is red/blue. I got very lucky here.

Old 10-09-13, 10:00 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Deck: Alpine INE-W927HD
Amp: Alpine MRX-V70 5-channel (4x 90w and 1x 350w)
Speakers: Four Pioneer TS-D1302R
Subwoofer: Pioneer 10" enclosure, mounted in the truck, 800w max

I considered a more powerful amp that has 700w for the subwoofer, but that is way too much power for me.
Any specifics on the enclosure and where it's mounted?

Quick Reply: Updating The Stereo System