LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Suspension switch and sport mode switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 03:22 PM
JayLux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension switch and sport mode switch not working

My switches in my car next to my shifter are not working. I tried changing the fuses and still nothing happened. The ext power switch still works but the car is stuck in sport mode and on the hi suspension setting. If anyone could help it would be great. I have a 1993 btw.
Old 07-21-13, 04:53 PM
JayLux
Driver School Candidate

Come on guys. Someone must know how to fix this. I've literally looked up everything and I can't seem to find anything that will help. Even ideas would be nice.
Old 07-21-13, 05:07 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

If I had any ideas I would post them here. I really hope somebody has some ideas for you. Good luck.
Old 07-21-13, 11:26 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know much about the early Lexus air suspension system, however I have seen cases where the the ECT Power switch (transmission sport mode) switch got stuck in that mode and that problem turned out to be ECU capacitors

the very first things to try on any weird electrical problem:

1. disconnect the negative battery cable for several hours (like overnight)

2. check every single fuse in the entire car with a test lamp, both the ones inside the car and the ones under the hood

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 07-21-13 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-22-13, 05:51 PM
JayLux
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I don't know much about the early Lexus air suspension system, however I have seen cases where the the ECT Power switch (transmission sport mode) switch got stuck in that mode and that problem turned out to be ECU capacitors

the very first things to try on any weird electrical problem:

1. disconnect the negative battery cable for several hours (like overnight)

2. check every single fuse in the entire car with a test lamp, both the ones inside the car and the ones under the hood
i just recently put in a brand new ECU because i got hit by the bug. i checked all the fuses in the car so im thinking maybe a sensor is bad or i have a leak in one of the bags. my back sits at the "normal" height but my front is sitting at the "HI" height. i already tried letting the car reset by removing the battery but the same thing is still happening. i appreciate your imput and ideas, i see you are a very knowledgeable person with these cars so maybe you have some other ideas? if not i totally understand. i just have a feeling its going to be a costly fix,,,
Old 07-22-13, 05:57 PM
JayLux
Driver School Candidate

Default Car sitting low in the back and high in the front

my switches on my car. the HI setting and normal setting are not working. the car is stuck in HI and is also stuck in sport mode. the EXT power switch works just fine. the car is sitting lower then all the other cars i see in the back and a lot higher in the front. ive checked all my fuses and just recently put in a new ECU. i was thinking my sensor is bad or i have a leak. i tried pulling up the codes but no suspension codes come up... i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas. i was thinking about just putting springs in my car but don't know if that's possible. would it be cheaper to put new bags in or just go the rough spring route? thanks for the help and your time!!!!!!
Old 07-23-13, 02:48 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Try pulling the fuse with the car running and the system on. Once you put the fuse back everything should reset. I know its less than ideal but I have seen it work on unresponcive air setups in many different makes and models. The air suspension computer is in the trunk near the cd changer.
Old 07-23-13, 03:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by j2b4o
The air suspension computer is in the trunk near the cd changer.
any electrolytic capacitors in that air suspension computer going bad?
Old 07-23-13, 06:42 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

You asked if it could be a costly fix. Oh yes, it WILL. As most will suggest.....get rid of the air suspension. I'm going through my own susp woes right now. You can get one of the conversion kits to change to springs. Stutmasters has all 4 corners for a little over $600. How many miles on your car? Does the rear only "look" low b/c the front is high? Just an idea but did anything spill on the switches to make them stick? The past couple years the heat and humidity has effected my suspension. It would increase and release air pressure in the rear shocks, only one at a time though.
Old 07-26-13, 05:37 PM
JayLux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
You asked if it could be a costly fix. Oh yes, it WILL. As most will suggest.....get rid of the air suspension. I'm going through my own susp woes right now. You can get one of the conversion kits to change to springs. Stutmasters has all 4 corners for a little over $600. How many miles on your car? Does the rear only "look" low b/c the front is high? Just an idea but did anything spill on the switches to make them stick? The past couple years the heat and humidity has effected my suspension. It would increase and release air pressure in the rear shocks, only one at a time though.
I think that's what my car is doing. I only have 126,XXX original miles on my car. The back seems low but the front seems hi. The switches aren't sticky but maybe the previous owner spilled something on them. I think I'm converting to coils because its a lot cheaper. What a good place to buy the things I need? Thank you for your help.
Old 07-27-13, 11:44 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I think Strutmasters is the best but I know you can get cheaper ones on ebay. They're pretty easy to change, plug and play. Less than an hour per shock, from what I've read during all my searching on the subject. If you do yours within the next couple weeks let me know, I'm looking to buy a used air shock. Can't find one and I'm tired of making call after call.
Old 04-01-15, 03:35 PM
Micke83
Driver School Candidate

Default air suspension

old thread but worth to refresh as i got the same problem

both fuses are fine
compressor is fine
tried other ecu(height controller) no luck
no air sus codes on the dash
tried other engine ecu

I'm running out of ideas

Does anyone got similar problem?

Michael
Old 04-02-15, 03:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

With out a good study of the books, a few guesses would be 1 the switch, 2 a relay, 3 height sensor and its hardware, 4 wiring, if the other items mentioned in other posts have been checked.