LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

strange noise and wandering

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 10:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

+1 on strut bar bushing, motor/tranny mounts and inner/outer tie rod ends
Old 05-15-13, 08:36 AM
diamondave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update!!! just got back from the local rack and axle shop and we checked everything. there is absolutely no play in anything!! all bushings look very new and no signs of any reason for the wandering however they did find an exhaust heat shield right before the first set of mufflers on the passenger side. LS maybe that is where your rattle is coming from. i am not 100% that the noise is cured but it did not make the noise on the way to work and i tried to get it to make it. will report back on the noise issue but i am still stumped on the wandering. All bushings look good and with a 6 foot pry bar they had no play or movement in them. they told me they would be happy to replace parts if i just wanted to throw money at it but that they saw nothing wrong. sooooo back to square one i suppose. although i still would like to replace those strut bushings just for good measure
Old 05-16-13, 08:07 AM
diamondave
Driver

well i have another update. noise is not fixed and seems to be just as bad as before. for some reason i want to link the 2 together but they may not be related. either way i am stumped
Old 05-16-13, 02:56 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Dave, I went back through this thread and didn't see any information about how many miles are on your car and what front suspension work has been done in the past and at what mileage. Fill us in?
Old 05-16-13, 03:05 PM
diamondave
Driver

almost 250k
Old 05-16-13, 04:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondave
almost 250k
OK, great. How about more information. What suspension work has been done in the past and at what mileage?

Front strut rod bushings, for example, rarely last much longer than 75,000 miles. I've having mine replaced for the second time in two weeks at 166,000 miles. I had them replaced the first time some years ago at 83,000 miles when they were incredibly worn out and the car was barely controllable. It's not currently as bad as back then but it's getting pretty sloppy.

At what mileage were your strut rod assemblies/bushings last replaced?
Old 05-16-13, 06:14 PM
diamondave
Driver

i dont know i have only had the car a couple months and didnt really get any records with the car. i intend to replace them for good measure but they have no play in them and they look fine. another update on the noise.... it sounds like it is coming from the left front and definitely has a metal sound. almost sounds a little more solid that an exhaust rattle. If any of you have had any experience with diagnosing a noise issue it can be very hard to pinpoint. sounds may appear to be coming from the front when they are actually at the rear but i even rolled the window down and stuck my head out going down the road. not very safe but this getting old quick
Old 05-16-13, 07:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

my random noise at over 70 mph actually sounds like it is on passenger side, so who knows!

I would definitely install that stuff from Sewell Lexus if I were you (strut bar bushings, motor/tranny mounts, and inner/outer tie rod ends)

just got back from the local rack and axle shop and we checked everything. there is absolutely no play in anything!!
maybe a previous owner replaced bushings with polyurethane or some China crap rather than the real Toyota bushings

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-16-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-16-13, 07:52 PM
diamondave
Driver

i think i am going to get the strut bushings from the local Lexus dealer and get them done tomorrow, i dont wanna wait on shipping
Old 05-16-13, 09:58 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the local Lexus dealer may not stock them, or may act like they aren't available separately - the greedy dealerships like to sell the entire bar, which is unnecessary unless the car has been in an accident in its lifetime - did you run an Autocheck on it when you bought it?
Old 05-16-13, 10:23 PM
diamondave
Driver

no i didnt. where aqnd how do you do that?
Old 05-17-13, 06:21 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

just click on the link in my previous response, that's why it's a link!
Old 05-17-13, 08:06 AM
diamondave
Driver

just got tranny mount and egr pipe and gaskets. strut bushings and motor mounts will be in monday morning. i was surprised with my discount how cheap the parts were. In some cases it was a few dollars cheaper the Sewell Lexus
Old 05-17-13, 08:10 AM
diamondave
Driver

and that auto check cost money...lol
Old 05-18-13, 05:06 PM
diamondave
Driver

Update... Noise issue solved!!!! It was my battery hold down. It wasnt tight and i couldnt tighten it so i just took it out and noise it gone!!! Also changed out the tranny mount and most if not all of my small vibrations are gone and it seems to be putting the power to the wheels better upon takeoff. Still doing the strut bushings and replacing the egr pipe monday. that should get her super quiet and hopefully a solid feel on the highway.

Quick Reply: strange noise and wandering