LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90 ls400 tps/sub tps/actuator check and adjust.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 01:09 AM
paulybear
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 90 ls400 tps/sub tps/actuator check and adjust.

Hope some one can help. Trac light on. Codes = 45,48,49. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a more compete write up on Sub TPS and actuator ohms check and adjustment. I've spent several hours searching and have only found a piece or two of info on Sub TPS and actuator. I did find the code descriptions and TPS adjustment procedurs (thanks to Lexls.com and others), even though it seemed like every one has a slightly different take on it e.g.( feeler guage size and where to adjust TPS to) but it would be nice to know if the TPS and Sub TPS (Trac) are in spec ( toss or no toss). I would like to know what the ohm readings are supposed to be at terminals VTA1-E2 (TPS) and VTA2-E2 (Sub TPS) with throttle plate completely closed and also the ohms when you have a 40mm feeler gage between throttle stop screw and stop lever after TPS adjustment has been done. That way I wuold know if the TPS sensors are in spec range e.g.(code 45). If I had the money I would buy a manual but I'm short right now. Any info would be greatly appritriated. This car was in worse shape than my dad thought when he bought it. Bad right tie rod end, steering wheel clockspring, blown 10 amp fuse in engine compartment fuse block for interior lighting and several other functions, valve cover and oil pan gaskets, upper and lower plenum leaks, Speedometer not working (and breaking Tach needle in the process) : ** , EGR down tube leak, bad cigarette lighter, dash idiot lights out, bad front breaks, amongst missing nuts and bolts inside and out, (shotty workmanship). Many other items. Keep thinking I'm almost done then I find something else wrong with the thing. At least the engine compression on all cyl.s are 210 P.S.I.. Been working on this car for over two months now. Wow, I'm burned out on it to say the least. Thank you in advance. Paul

Last edited by paulybear; 02-21-13 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Original post made with my cell, post needed editing.
Old 02-21-13, 10:55 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

TRAC codes:

45 - When idle switch is ON, main throttle position sensor signal is 1.5V or higher

48 - Sub-throttle position sensor signal is 4.3V or higher, or sub-throttle position sensor signal is 0.2V or lower when idle switch is OFF

49 - Open or short in engine communication circuit

you can get a 2-3 day unlimited pass to use all of the real factory shop manuals you want for only $15 here at Toyota's factory tech info center
Old 02-21-13, 02:23 PM
paulybear
Driver School Candidate

Thanks LScowboyLS for your reply. I'm sorry I didn't give you all the info, I edited my original post,( was wrote on my smart phone, doesn't always come out like i think it should). I do have the code descriptions and TPS / Sub TPS adjustment procedures but it would be nice to have the TPS ohms specs so I could check to see if sensors are bad or not e.g. ( Code 45 when idle switch is on, main TPS is 1.5 v or higher ). The Toyota factory tech 2-3 day unlimited pass looks like a great deal. I' have to check it out. Thanks again LScowboyLS. I'll keep you posted on any progress. Then its the speedometer/ tachometer needle replacement project . Fun!!!!
Old 02-21-13, 02:26 PM
paulybear
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jim also for the info.
Old 02-21-13, 03:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

relevant link: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/tps.html
Old 02-22-13, 03:30 PM
paulybear
Driver School Candidate

Cool Thanks puredrifter

Thanks for the info Puredrifter. I've looked through this tutorial more than once in the past couple of months for TPS adjustments after taking them off the throttle body to change intake gaskets and clean TB. Unfortunately there are no instructions on Sub-TPS and actuator check/ adjustment. So I've had to piece together parts of online manuals that covered Sub-TPS check and adjustment procedures for the SC400 model which is the closest thing I could find on-line to the LS400. Then hope that it's close. Yesterday I took a long time to carefully adjust both TPS sensors and double checked that there was no clearance in the main and sub tps throttle plate when fully closed ( I had to adjust it once already because the previous mechanic adjusted it to an 1/8 " clearance to compensate for a non functioning IAC valve). I also pulled the Sub-TPS actuator wire connector off so the ECU would through a new code, (to check that it is functioning correctly), and to make sure that I'm preforming the code clearing procedure correctly. The ECU showed a new code for the actuator connector being unplugged and was cleared succesfully using the procedure listed on Lexls.com. Code 45, 48, and 49 where still present though. I guess I'll try swapping the two TPS sensors to see if the problems migrate with the sensors. Then it'll be the old, wonderfull "troubleshoot the wiring" tune. Hope to figure it out soon. Thanks again Paul

Last edited by paulybear; 02-22-13 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 02-23-13, 03:42 PM
paulybear
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved. Apparently the previous owner of this car installed a non trac ecu. I swapped it with a trac ecu and the trac light went out right away. Wew, I'm happy now, especially after trouble shooting for four days.