LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400 rough idle and misfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 07:07 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did that yesterday too. Codes are:

Random misfired which is 300? sorry I don't remember the exact code for random misfired.
And 302, 304, 306, 308. All on passenger side, which doesn't help because that's both side coil/ ignitors. What are the chances of BOTH side, whichever ignitors or coils, failed. I also have to admit that the spark plug wires were from factory (1996) and I highly think ignitors ( don't flame me as I'm just thinking of the possibilities, will find out soon) so with old worn out wires it was overworking the ignitors and eventually failed. Also, only does this when warmed up to operating temp. We'll see when i test the ignitors.

Last edited by akitomk3; 03-13-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 10:11 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

with all of the misfires on one bank, then you can forget coil, igniter, cap, rotor, etc. - it will be a component that is common *only* to that bank, such as a vacuum leak on that side of intake or passenger side cam position sensor, fuel rail on that side, etc.

try to get your mind in the mode of thinking about only things that can cause misfire that would only affect that one side

this also pretty much rules out ECU, right now with this new information, passenger side cam position sensor is highly suspect

FYI - igniters do not tend to fail on LS400, and they are exonerated with these new codes, forget the igniters.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-13-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 06:18 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

upon even deeper thinking on this, I now think the most likely problem is a jumped timing belt that is off by a tooth on only the passenger side cam - this doesn't take long to check, just taking the cam covers off like when you changed the caps/rotors
Old 03-13-13, 07:25 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
upon even deeper thinking on this, I now think the most likely problem is a jumped timing belt that is off by a tooth on only the passenger side cam - this doesn't take long to check, just taking the cam covers off like when you changed the caps/rotors
Damn, i changed the cap/ rotor already. But 2 and 4 is controlled by one side and 6 and 8 is controlled by the other side. So it's both coils if im correct. Right?
Old 03-14-13, 02:02 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

vacume leak from a intake gasket? I can only guess, but I agree with cowboy. have run the factory test on the coils?
Old 03-14-13, 03:39 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Damn, i changed the cap/ rotor already. But 2 and 4 is controlled by one side and 6 and 8 is controlled by the other side. So it's both coils if im correct. Right?
yes, this is how you know it is not coils, cap, rotors, igniters etc. - they affect both sides of engine, and all of your problems have to do with one side.

most likely is jumped time one tooth on just the one cam pulley, this would make perfect sense and cause misfires in all four right bank cylinders controlled by the passenger side cam - do you have the service manual to know how to check the timing belt alignment?

PS - you do not have to remove your new caps or rotors to check the timing belt alignment, just the cam pulley covers and spark plugs - it takes less than 15 minutes!

have run the factory test on the coils?
the coils are fine, both would have to have failed simultaneously to get all of the cylinders misfiring in one one cylinder bank, even then you would have misfires in the other bank as well

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-14-13 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-14-13, 05:23 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
do you have the service manual to know how to check the timing belt alignment?

PS - you do not have to remove your new caps or rotors to check the timing belt alignment, just the cam pulley covers and spark plugs - it takes less than 15 minutes!
No i don't have the manual to check timing belt alignment. Where can i get it, and in the case that it did jump. I have to do a timing belt job correct?
Old 03-14-13, 06:55 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Also, wouldn't a jumped Tbelt does that at all temperature or any instance of the car running?
Old 03-23-13, 08:33 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

So I solved my issue that i was having with this car...( i hope) car has been running + driving for at least 4 hours total today without any signs of the problem anymore. Also no check engine light and trac light has been on anymore. I tested the top ignitor this Monday and 1 out of 2 test failed per this page (PDF)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...44158598,d.b2I

Went to the junkyard this morning and brought 1 home, i actually brought both just in case something like this were to happen still. Plug it in and she has been running fine since. Although when I used a spark tester it showed spark, and this was 3 weeks ago but I had always wonder if it was given consistent spark or just here and there that cause the misfire . Hopefully she's fully fixed.
Old 03-26-13, 06:59 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Well, it looks like o spoke too soon, today, after a few hundred miles the car is acting up again. Same problem. I'm going to have to scan for codes tomorrow to see what's the problem is. I'm sure it's the same codes that I've always had.
Old 03-26-13, 08:18 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

when my 1996 acted up, it drove me crazy for almost a year, the problem finally was tracked down to being leaking ECU capacitors
Old 04-14-13, 02:36 PM
Candysking
Driver School Candidate

Default My 96 LS is misfiring # 6 too.

Any resolution on your #6 misfire problem?

I also have a 96 LS with 224,000 miles, have owned it since 30K. Was running exceptionally well up to 2 weeks ago, when it began misfiring, intermittently. When I would shut it down, then start and run again, would operate fine for 1 - 3 days, then suddenly would exhibit the same problem. Seems, when I would reset the check engine light, by disconnecting the battery, the car would run fine for awhile. Took it in, error code showed misfire # 6. We changed plugs, wires, rotors, checked compression, (180). I am still getting the same problem, only more and more frequent. Hoping you can advise your final fix.
Old 04-14-13, 08:23 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Candysking
Any resolution on your #6 misfire problem?

I also have a 96 LS with 224,000 miles, have owned it since 30K. Was running exceptionally well up to 2 weeks ago, when it began misfiring, intermittently. When I would shut it down, then start and run again, would operate fine for 1 - 3 days, then suddenly would exhibit the same problem. Seems, when I would reset the check engine light, by disconnecting the battery, the car would run fine for awhile. Took it in, error code showed misfire # 6. We changed plugs, wires, rotors, checked compression, (180). I am still getting the same problem, only more and more frequent. Hoping you can advise your final fix.
Seems to have the same problems that I did, i updated the thread. The ecu was the culprit, i suggest that you open up the ECU to see if you have any leaked caps.
Old 04-17-13, 05:25 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Wtfffffffff. Im so mad, everytime i tried to install the covers, and intake and spark plug covers **** would come up. The other day i installed the cover and accidentally had the bottom ignite wire 180 the other way and was crushed between the cover and then she ran like ****. Took it out and put the original back and on she's been fine for another day. Today i went out and tried again to install all the covers and then started her up, she idles fine for a bit then started misfire and eventually (within a few mins) the trac light is blinking and check engine light is also on. Fmllllllllllllllll
Old 04-17-13, 05:26 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

At this point i just want to cut her in half and donate the ****ing car.

Quick Reply: 1996 LS400 rough idle and misfire problem